Help with particulars Ericson 26

Permanent Waves

Hello all and thank you for acceptance to the forums. I recently purchased a new to me sailboat (also my first boat). It’s an 88 Ericson 26. I don’t know much about it. Is there an owners manual somewhere or can one of you help me with the info. Thanks so much and I attached some pics to help.

Attachments

• IMG_4560.jpeg
    IMG_4560.jpeg
    96.6 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_4562.jpeg
    IMG_4562.jpeg
    138.8 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_4563.jpeg
    IMG_4563.jpeg
    141.2 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_4556.jpeg
    IMG_4556.jpeg
    58.6 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_4555.jpeg
    IMG_4555.jpeg
    110.3 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_4557.jpeg
    IMG_4557.jpeg
    140.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_4558.jpeg
    IMG_4558.jpeg
    125.6 KB · Views: 32

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
We have owned our 1984 E30+ for 17 years. I have seen and been aboard many models of these wonderful boats, but have not seen a 26. If you look across the top of this site, you will see the Resources section, which does have some documents specific to the 26, though I didn't see a manual. Many systems on these boats are common to most models, so asking questions on this site may result in good advice from the many knowledgeable owners here, some of whom are professional mechanics, riggers, electricians, etc.
Also, most of us have found that it takes about a year or so to really get to know your boat--poking around the lockers and engine room, seacocks, various pumps, electrical system, etc. Also, if you are in a marina or yacht club, other sailors can often offer good advice, though as always it's good to get a few opinions before embarking on a major project or hiring a professional when needed.
Your boat looks lovely in the pics!
Frank

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
As Frank points out, your boat has much in common with many of the systems in the larger Ericson's of the era. Heck, some of the guys that built out my '88 boat may have worked on yours as it moved thru the plant.
Do some site searches on your model, and I predict some other active owners of sister ships will be checking in.
Welcome!
Loren
:egrin:

KS Dave

Dastardly Villain
Blogs Author
I'll be the first fellow E26 to say welcome! I think you picked a fine model for your first. The E26 packs a lot of features into a great size. It would be most excellent (and helpful) if you went and filled out your profile and even a signature so we'd all be reminded the vitals on your boat when you post. See mine (below) and others for ideas.

To answer your question, there's not a specific manual that I've seen. We have a collection of documents located on this site that are specific to the E26. Things such as wiring and plumbing diagrams (check out the 'Resources' section) and maybe even something for your engine. Nothing comprehensive, however.

What kind of info are you looking for?

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author

The 1984 Ericson 28 document above will probably serve you well. As you compare your 28-2 to it, there will likely be changes to note. You can ask the forum about them.

Basics here:

KS Dave

Dastardly Villain
Blogs Author
The 1984 Ericson 28 document above will probably serve you well. As you compare your 28-2 to it, there will likely be changes to note. You can ask the forum about them.
Not sure I'd seen this one before. A lot of similar systems, indeed. I love the hand drawn diagrams. The illustration with the bug screens is pretty classic.

E28-BugScreen.png

(That reminds me, I still need to install my "new" windows with bug screens I bought from @Loren Beach)

Last edited:

Permanent Waves

I'll be the first fellow E26 to say welcome! I think you picked a fine model for your first. The E26 packs a lot of features into a great size. It would be most excellent (and helpful) if you went and filled out your profile and even a signature so we'd all be reminded the vitals on your boat when you post. See mine (below) and others for ideas.

To answer your question, there's not a specific manual that I've seen. We have a collection of documents located on this site that are specific to the E26. Things such as wiring and plumbing diagrams (check out the 'Resources' section) and maybe even something for your engine. Nothing comprehensive, however.

What kind of info are you looking for?
For starters, can you tell me where my shore line electric outlet is? Also am I correct in the fact that it has a 10hp Universal motor? Thanks so much

KS Dave

Dastardly Villain
Blogs Author
For starters, can you tell me where my shore line electric outlet is?
Does it have one? Looking at your cockpit picture, I don't see one in the normal place. Mine (and most E26s I've seen) have the connector just aft of the propane locker opposite the manual bilge pump. About where your winch pocket is located currently. It was an optional feature, as I recall.

Also am I correct in the fact that it has a 10hp Universal motor? Thanks so much
Given the year, it's likely the Universal M12 from the factory. The factory engine used changed over the years. Early on, it was a Yanmar 1GM. Then they moved to the Westerbeke 10Two, and I think finally they settled on the Universal M12. Only way to be certain is to identify the engine by looking for an engine ID tag. Barring that, we should be able to help visually identify with pictures.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Re pictures,

Suggest you begin taking cell phone photos of all parts of the boat, and preserving them in folders on the computer for further reference.

What helps most around here is a photo uploaded for others to ponder. And it's really valuable, at home in the rain, to be able to view details of your own boat when trying to reason through how things are set up, and why.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Re pictures,

Suggest you begin taking cell phone photos of all parts of the boat, and preserving them in folders on the computer for further reference.

What helps most around here is a photo uploaded for others to ponder. And it's really valuable, at home in the rain, to be able to view details of your own boat when trying to reason through how things are set up, and why.
Darned good ideas! On the subject of digital photos, I still recall, from many years ago, when I was trying to see/visualize inside a compartment that was really difficult to eyeball, having the epiphany that I could just hold my cel phone inside and take pix with its flash capability. Or, push a portable light inside and then reach in with the phone.
(Occasionally.... technology does make our lives easier.) :geek:

Welcome Permanent Waves,

I'm also a fairly new owner of an 88 E26 (2 seasons, 3rd owner). Can confirm with KS Dave the engine is a Universal M12, which is a really efficient diesel. I'm harbored in Michigan City, IN but based out of Chicago, which is where we're dry docked for off season work.

Feel free to message, I'll try to share things as I learn more.

We've acquired a genniker but otherwise the boat is mostly original. Planning to rebed chain plates, add a working multi meter, repack winches this off season. Eventually would like to get a feathering prop.

We don't have a dedicated shore line outlet, wired a power strip to the trickle charger/dual battery compartment and plug in that way to shore power. (I'll photo in the spring when batteries are back on board).

Best,
JP

Attachments

• PXL_20230515_162516475.jpg
    PXL_20230515_162516475.jpg
    325.1 KB · Views: 13

acubria

Member II
Welcome Permanent Waves, I own a 26-2 1984. As others have stated, there is no "manual" but just diagrams of most important systems. Some members here are real Ericson 26 experts (Alan Gomes , KS Dave...) and if you start digging into old forums, you will find lots of info. The boat is excellent, easy to maintain, and has everything you need. I do not have a shore line outlet !
Some helpful videos here: https://www.youtube.com/@SailingTurtle

KS Dave

Dastardly Villain
Blogs Author
Some members here are real Ericson 26 experts (Alan Gomes , KS Dave...)
Arturo oversells us, but I speak for myself (and I know Alan Gomes would concur) when I say we're very happy to help where we can. Do read through old posts and look for blogs. I've tried to document all of my projects there. I had TONS of help from this community never owning a boat, let alone a sailboat, before I bought mine.
What Randall did to his E26 should be considered a master class on what is possible. He has lots of posts here, but is no longer active as he sold and moved back to the Northwest to prepare for his next adventures. Search for posts by user Shelman.

I would also mention, DaveE26 from Chicago has done some nice things to his E26. He's also been quiet for a couple of years.

Permanent Waves

I just want to extend a huge Thank You to everyone for the knowledge and support. Im pulling up a proverbial chair and reading as much as I can. If anyone is in the New England area, id be happy to sit down over a coffee or beer sometime. Thanks again