HELP!- Wiring Issues

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
In the tech’s defense I think what you see draped over the battery negative is Jeff’s drawing showing the connection between the orange wire and the red coming off the battery.
Yeah, after another look, I think you're right about that. That is a little better...

Last edited:

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
Good idea on placement and I wonder why it wasn’t done that way. What would give the tech the idea to go back and forth across all that space instead of making the cleanest line between the two ends?

In the tech’s defense I think what you see draped over the battery negative is Jeff’s drawing showing the connection between the orange wire and the red coming off the battery. It’s too long and it’s unsecured, but I think it runs behind the battery and not over the top of it.

Somebody I know with a lifetime of experience on boats recently said he’s never finished a project without immediately realizing he could have done something differently and better :)

battery wiring 2024_4 b.jpg
Chris &/or Jim, you're correct. Here's another shot with that wire lifted up so it's fully visible, no photo editing. It's a 30a fuse. He has it set up so the clear case on the fuse block traps the wire. Maybe his attempt to keep it off the battery. That seems a little janky to me.
I'm going to get one of those battery mount units Ken highlighted.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
I think Blue Sea says the capacity of these is 100A total, and 30A max per fuse, so you should be fine with a 30A fuse protecting the 4 x 5A fuse block.

Screenshot_20240415-182142.png

I actually use mine with a 40A fuse one the 30A shore power charger circuit to the battery. But I keep the total fused amperage well below 100A so I think this is a forgivable crime.

southofvictor

Member III
Blogs Author
Nice! Only thing I’d ask is there a way to keep the positive wire from bearing on the negative battery cable? Maybe an anchor on the bulkhead giving it a little direction to keep it clear? Or if not tie them together so they couldn’t chafe?