Electric fuel pump

Dferr

Member II
Does anyone know what the psi of the electric fuel pump should or needs to be? I have a Universal 5432. I'm having problems with the engine shutting down when I push the throttle past half. I took the original Facet Pump apart and cleaned it, and now it seems to work perfect. I figured I would just put a new pump in, so I bought another Facet, with a maximum psi of 5.5. When I installed the new one, it did the same as the old pump did prior to cleaning it. I'm thinking it's not enough psi, some other gremlin is haunting me......

Thanks,
Don

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Does anyone know what the psi of the electric fuel pump should or needs to be? I have a Universal 5432. I'm having problems with the engine shutting down when I push the throttle past half. I took the original Facet Pump apart and cleaned it, and now it seems to work perfect. I figured I would just put a new pump in, so I bought another Facet, with a maximum psi of 5.5. When I installed the new one, it did the same as the old pump did prior to cleaning it. I'm thinking it's not enough psi, some other gremlin is haunting me......

Thanks,
Don

Don,
Our M25 XP's Facet is up to 8 PSI. Maybe you have garbage in the fuel pick up tube in the tank?
Rick

Dferr

Member II
Filters are good. As I said, it's running fine now, but I bought a new fuel pump, the psi is only max 5.5. My engine won't run at full with the new pump. My original pump doesn't have any info on it.

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Filters are good. As I said, it's running fine now, but I bought a new fuel pump, the psi is only max 5.5. My engine won't run at full with the new pump. My original pump doesn't have any info on it.

The original pump on my M-25XP is a Facet 476459 which is still available. It has a Max rating of 8 PSI.

http://www.facet-purolator.com/gold-flo.php

That said, I would double check both filters, supply line, and valve.

Emerald

I think 5.5 should be fine on fuel pressure - I would be looking at flow issues. Also, what is your timing doing? You say it won't run past half way. Is it dying as you try to rev past a certain point? How does it run right up to that point? Load no load?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
searching for a 12 volt path

Also, check your voltage at the pump. Mine was only 9.7 volts due to a bad ground.

Small world.
Same low voltage problem with our pump. Several years ago I bypassed the original wiring harness for the 12 volt supply to the pump because it appeared that there was a voltage drop somewhere - most likely in the original multi-pin connector.

Loren

Joliba

1988 E38-200 Contributing Member
We had a similar experience with our 5432 a few years ago. We weren't getting near full RPM even in neutral. The facet pump did not sound good and was original, so we replaced it.It turned out that we just had a bad ground wire. The old electric pump was probably fine. However, this didn't cure the problem. We ended up doing many things, as the boat was soon hauled out for the winter. New fuel lines (hoses instead of pipe), a new primary fuel filter (much better than the original), I checked the tank uptake, I pulled the injectors for servicing, replaced the exhaust elbow, etc. The engine ran well in the spring. I never figured out which change cured the original problem.

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
We had a similar experience with our 5432 a few years ago. We weren't getting near full RPM even in neutral. The facet pump did not sound good and was original, so we replaced it.It turned out that we just had a bad ground wire. The old electric pump was probably fine. However, this didn't cure the problem. We ended up doing many things, as the boat was soon hauled out for the winter. New fuel lines (hoses instead of pipe), a new primary fuel filter (much better than the original), I checked the tank uptake, I pulled the injectors for servicing, replaced the exhaust elbow, etc. The engine ran well in the spring. I never figured out which change cured the original problem.

Sometimes the "shotgun" method is the best cure. It seems almost a certainty that all of is will have to eventually upgrade our fuel systems....

With all all of the threads here about tank replacements, new hoses, pumps and so on, I am hovering. So far so good, I replaced our Facet about two years ago.