Eericson 37 chainplates

Tsunami

Ericson 37 chainplates

I have an Ericsson 37 and unstepped the mast this past winter for refreshing the rig. The rod rigging needs a thorough going inspection as well as replacing the bits on the top that are always fun messing with aloft (windex, lights, antenna etc).

I have the aluminum chainplates for the main shrouds are plates that span from the hull to the mast and have two tangs that go through the deck. The tangs have some corrosion and pitting, especially at deck level. I am wondering if any folks with alumicum (e37, e39, e46) chainplates have replaced the portion sticking above the deck with stainless plates that sister into the aluminum plates. Any thoughts and pictures would be greatly appreciated!

Chris

Tsunami - Ericson 37
Baltimore Md

Last edited:

gadangit

Member III
Hi Chris-
Welcome to the forum!
We cut off the aluminum tangs just below the deck and replaced with stainless steel plates. This was not professionally designed and was dreamed up between me and the metal fabricator who works on boats all the time. The SS plate is 3/8" with a backing plate. There are (6) 3/8" bolts holding it all together (only three show in picture.) I used some nylon bushings in the holes to keep the metals separated as well as a flexible PVC shower pan liner between SS and Al plates.

If I recall, I widened the deck penetration to allow the new plate to slide up against the soon to be cut off Al so I could align the clevis pin holes. The SS was pre-drilled and acted as the drill bit guide. I remember one side being more difficult due to the angle requiring a left hand drilling action.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Chris

IMG_20180507_093038202.jpgIMG_20180507_093051390.jpg
I have an Ericsson 37 and unstepped the mast this past winter for refreshing the rig. The rod rigging needs a thorough going inspection as well as replacing the bits on the top that are always fun messing with aloft (windex, lights, antenna etc).

I have the aluminum chainplates for the main shrouds are plates that span from the hull to the mast and have two tangs that go through the deck. The tangs have some corrosion and pitting, especially at deck level. I am wondering if any folks with alumicum (e37, e39, e46) chainplates have replaced the portion sticking above the deck with stainless plates that sister into the aluminum plates. Any thoughts and pictures would be greatly appreciated!

Chris

Tsunami - Ericson 37
Baltimore Md

Tsunami

Hey Chris,

Thanks for the info and pictures! I was probably over thinking a solution and really like how simple this looks.

Chris