E38-200: seeking all the dirty details

EricWantsAnEricson

Hi everyone,

I'm currently cruising full time, and living aboard my Pearson 10M (33'). The call to a larger vessel is strong, and the E38-200 has really grabbed my attention. I have specific questions, but to give some general context first:
- I'm not wealthy, I work full time (remote online).
- My ideal boat is a comfortable live-aboard cruiser, a capable passage-maker, and slippery enough to get moving in less than 10 knots of wind. A tall ask that requires some compromises, I know. Other boats that I feel are good examples of meeting these needs include Sabre 38 MK2, Tartan 40 and CS 36T.
- I value the aft cabin quite a bit, a bit of extra space and privacy makes all the difference in having friends or family visit for any period of time.

I've done a lot of reading through these forums already to get a feel for the 38-200, still, I'm hungry to hear all the nitty gritty details. What do you love about your 38-200? What don't you like?

Some more specific questions:
- It seems the TAFG does a great job of adding stiffness and rigidity to the hull, but that can also allow for a thinner layup. How thick is the hull layup? Do we know if there was any chopper guns in the layup, or is it hand laid roving / fabric?
- Hull-to-deck joint: from what I read it's an outward flange that's been internally glassed together. Are there any fasteners or is it only glass? Is this a problem area at all?
- Chainplates: The photos I saw looked like they may lead to tie rods, which would then bring those forces down to the TAFG. I also heard somewhere about them being a weak point due to being glassed in, I'm confused, are they glassed into an intermediate structure that the tie rods connect to?
- Do you feel it's easy to access all areas of the boat without complete mayhem?
- Are there any details you've noticed on the boat that made you think "ok, this boat was built right."
- Are there any details you've noticed that have made you curse the designer / builders?

I'm eager to soak up any and all info regarding the E38-200, that includes your personal stories and anecdotes as well. So far, based on what I've seen, the E38-200 is well suited to my needs. They seem solidly constructed, comfortably laid out for being at sea, and, provided the correct maintenance and upgrades - capable of knocking down miles day after day.

Thanks for your time.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Do we know if there was any chopper guns in the layup, or is it hand laid roving / fabric?
That's easy: EY used all "hand" layup and no chopper gun.
Hull-to-deck joint: from what I read it's an outward flange that's been internally glassed together. Are there any fasteners or is it only glass? Is this a problem area at all?
Internally glassing it with roving makes the whole Ericson a monocoque structure. It's as good as you will find short of building a custom yacht. It's really strong.
- Chainplates: The photos I saw looked like they may lead to tie rods, which would then bring those forces down to the TAFG. I also heard somewhere about them being a weak point due to being glassed in, I'm confused, are they glassed into an intermediate structure that the tie rods connect to?
Ericson's in the 70's used a glassed-in chainplate on most models, as did most other builders. In the 80's they used the SS Navtec rods tied to solid alum. round bar stock captured in the TAFG. That's also how my Olson was built by EY.
Do you feel it's easy to access all areas of the boat without complete mayhem?
Not on my model, but all (!) boats, no matter the pedigree, will have
areas that are difficult to access. I have added additional access points to several parts of our boat over the years, as have many owners of Ericson models.

- Are there any details you've noticed that have made you curse the designer / builders?
Not really, but I have watched a few boats being built, and there will be some compromise in all, even the Hinkley's of the world. It's a matter of fitting in systems around an interior designed to give adequate room to the crew.

If you look behind the interior finish structure of other high end boats like Sabre, C&C, Hinterholler, Yamaha, PSC and some others you will find similar crowding of piping and wiring.
If you are spelunking into a Hun__r, on the other hand, you will find depressing areas of sloppy work and weak design.

Others here will have better details. My claim to fame, as it were, is an offshore delivery on an E-38-200. Fast and comfortable. Great sea boat.

For some 'real world' input search for all the posts on this site by Ryan:

This couple has cruised and "wrung more salt water out their socks than I have sailed over' on their E-38-200.

Regards,
Loren

edit: nice review of the boat here: https://ericsonyachts.org/ie/resour...icson-38-200-sailing-magazine-jul-aug-22.213/

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Marvelous boat all around. Note that "comfortable liveaboard cruiser" was not the design intention, but the model meets all your other needs.

EricWantsAnEricson

That's easy: EY used all "hand" layup and no chopper gun.

Internally glassing it with roving makes the whole Ericson a monocoque structure. It's as good as you will find short of building a custom yacht. It's really strong.

Ericson's in the 70's used a glassed-in chainplate on most models, as did most other builders. In the 80's they used the SS Navtec rods tied to solid alum. round bar stock captured in the TAFG. That's also how my Olson was built by EY.

Not on my model, but all (!) boats, no matter the pedigree, will have

areas that are difficult to access. I have added additional access points to several parts of our boat over the years, as have many owners of Ericson models.

Not really, but I have watched a few boats being built, and there will be some compromise in all, even the Hinkley's of the world. It's a matter of fitting in systems around an interior designed to give adequate room to the crew.

If you look behind the interior finish structure of other high end boats like Sabre, C&C, Hinterholler, Yamaha, PSC and some others you will find similar crowding of piping and wiring.
If you are spelunking into a Hun__r, on the other hand, you will find depressing areas of sloppy work and weak design.

Others here will have better details. My claim to fame, as it were, is an offshore delivery on an E-38-200. Fast and comfortable. Great sea boat.

For some 'real world' input search for all the posts on this site by Ryan:

This couple has cruised and "wrung more salt water out their socks than I have sailed over' on their E-38-200.

Regards,
Loren

edit: nice review of the boat here: https://ericsonyachts.org/ie/resour...icson-38-200-sailing-magazine-jul-aug-22.213/
This is all excellent info, thank you Loren!

Indeed, looking at the layout of the boat, it seems well set up for comfort offshore, great handholds, head aft, etc.

EricWantsAnEricson

Marvelous boat all around. Note that "comfortable liveaboard cruiser" was not the design intention, but the model meets all your other needs.

I suppose "liveaboard comfort" is a pretty vague term. Coming from my Pearson 10M, the bar is pretty low. I'll be happy if I can stand up straight inside and have a functional galley.

Also, your videos have been a great resource. I've watched several of them to become better acquainted with the model.

Saverio

Member III
Hi, I have had a 38 200 for 3 years, I live in the province of Bologna, the boat is moored in Porto Garibaldi Ferrara, I have sailed in Slovenia, Croatia, Albania, Greece, the boat goes very well in light winds and in strong winds, I'll give it to you I recommend ❤

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
Hi everyone,

I'm currently cruising full time, and living aboard my Pearson 10M (33'). The call to a larger vessel is strong, and the E38-200 has really grabbed my attention. I have specific questions, but to give some general context first:
- I'm not wealthy, I work full time (remote online).
. . . .
Hi Eric,
If you will indulge me as I give one bit of general advice, I'd offer my rough formula that every $1,000 you put into a boat immediately becomes worth about $250 on the resale market. We got a very good price for our boat, but have spent buckets of money on it, new electronics, sails, standing and running rigging, cushions, etc. We're very pleased with the boat that we will have, but it isn't the most economical way to go about it. I'd encourage you to hold out for a boat that has as much newer gear as possible. By my (hack) formula, an extra $5000 spent purchasing a used boat will yield you $20,000 in kit. Plus any time saved in doing the work yourself. Perhaps as a current boat owner you have already figured this out.
Sounds exciting. We love our Ericson. Good luck shopping!!
Jeff

EricWantsAnEricson

Hi Eric,
If you will indulge me as I give one bit of general advice, I'd offer my rough formula that every $1,000 you put into a boat immediately becomes worth about $250 on the resale market. We got a very good price for our boat, but have spent buckets of money on it, new electronics, sails, standing and running rigging, cushions, etc. We're very pleased with the boat that we will have, but it isn't the most economical way to go about it. I'd encourage you to hold out for a boat that has as much newer gear as possible. By my (hack) formula, an extra $5000 spent purchasing a used boat will yield you $20,000 in kit. Plus any time saved in doing the work yourself. Perhaps as a current boat owner you have already figured this out.
Sounds exciting. We love our Ericson. Good luck shopping!!
Jeff
Haha, yes indeed, the math checks out! I spent quite a bit of time, effort, and money making my Pearson ready to cruise. No way I'm getting that money back on resale.

The Ericson I'm looking at is pretty well kitted out. Good autopilot, fairly new electronics, watermaker, etc. I didn't notice any offshore gear (life raft, EPIRB, drogue) but those are items I could easily bring with me from my current boat.

It is a tough a decision though. On one hand, enjoying the fruits of my labor with my current boat is a very sensible thing to do. The shortcomings I deal with on this boat are not the end of the world. Staying "put" on this boat and just saving my money makes good financial sense. On the other hand, for about half a year's salary I could be on an E38. That boat has "forever potential" in a way my current boat does not. The efforts I put into improving the boat are amortized over a longer period of ownership (hopefully!).

Tough decision!

southofvictor

Member III
Blogs Author
Here’s a shot of the chainplate tie rods and in the locker below them if you look behind the inverter you can see the beams extending up from under the mast step up to the knees where the bottom end of the tie rods mount. This is an ‘89 model.

IMG_0228.jpeg

We love this boat!

If I was to name my #1 gripe it’s the salon layout. It feels a little squeezed and its forward enough than the settees are both angled and the starboard one is pretty narrow especially at the forward end. Plus there’s no dedicated nav seat it’s just at the end of the settee so if someone’s sleeping there you’re gonna sit on their head to work at the nav station and there’s no good way to brace yourself in there if things are moving. The port side is a little more comfortable but to get back in there you have to climb past the table. That‘s the downside trade off for the aft cabin and the aft head with shower stall - both of which are great.

kiwisailor

Member III
Blogs Author
My experience is the E38 is a great sailing boat. You won‘t hear pounding sounds like you hear in the newer flat bilge designs when sailing upwind into large swells. Also I never heard my boats internal structure creaking or groaning like I’ve heard in those new fancy condos on water sold as sailing boats.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Here is a good video about the E38-200 and it even mentions someone we all know and love too! :egrin:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Thanks!
When Capt Q is right and equally when he is mistaken, he exudes so much confidence !
:)

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Thanks!
When Capt Q is right and equally when he is mistaken, he exudes so much confidence !
:)
Met him and “Ran-day” at the Annapolis boat show once and both of them were, and as a guy I’m not embarrassed to say this,…..charming and funny.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Finally, a picture of the location of the original Ericson diaphragm bilge pump.

Screenshot .jpg

Potential owners note that the effort or expense required to restore that interior wood and the sole is understated.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Finally, a picture of the location of the original Ericson diaphragm bilge pump.

View attachment 49030

Potential owners note that the effort or expense required to restore that interior wood and the sole is understated.
Agreed. Captain Q sort of made it sound like a few cans of varnish and a couple of pieces of teak would make every thing bright and shiny again.