E32 engine swap Atomic 4 to diesel (Marina Del Rey)

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Advising for adequate HP for an aux. engine might hinge on knowing which Ericson model Rebecca has. From the year stated, it sounds like it might be an E-32-2, with an A4 gas engine with a straight shaft drive.
Hopefully the owner can weigh in and help us out.

Last edited:

Rebecca Ericson

You might consider getting a mechanic that will work with you and teach you about what ever engine choice you make. These engines are not really very sophisticated machines and it is really handy not just to be able to trouble shoot your own engine, but to make all the minor repairs. Seems to me that a lot of folks get discouraged with boat ownership when they are not comfortable the auxiliary power source--and this is a shame.
This is exactly what I was hoping for! But just to find the mechanic... :cool:

Rebecca Ericson

Thanks for all the knowledge here. Windsong is a 35-1 Ericson. She now doesn't start, so the issue is more pressing!
But yes, available mechanics seem to be extinct. Guess it'll be sailing by the wind for now!
Thanks Christian - will check out CC Marine.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Thanks for all the knowledge here. Windsong is a 35-1 Ericson. She now doesn't start, so the issue is more pressing!
But yes, available mechanics seem to be extinct. Guess it'll be sailing by the wind for now!
So why doesn't she start? Unless there is serious neglect or major problem, it usually isn't hard to get an engine started again.
If you can tell us what you've tried already, maybe we can suggest next steps to diagnose the problem and get your engine running again. There are lots of knowledgeable sailors on this site willing to help.
Frank

Pete the Cat

Member III
I am not sure where you are moored, but in my early years of boat ownership, there was generally some other boat owner around the dock or wharf who had experience with my type of engine and would be willing to help. This forum is a sort of long distance, digital example of that willingness to help others. While it is true that not all the dock advice and help is of high quality, I know folks helped me 40 years ago and I have passed that value forward with a good number or helping others resolve perplexing problems. Ask around the dock. Most of us have been helped, have some experience with similar situations and would welcome the opportunity to help. But you have to ask.

frick

Member III
My 1971 E29 weight is about 8500 pounds the Yanmar gm20 f was more than enough to move to hull speed.

Rebecca Ericson

Thanks everyone. I’m getting a real understanding of the community here. I need to put aside some time to spend with Windsong and hopefully get talking to the right people at the dock. I’m definitely not against getting my hands dirty, so looking forward to it!
See you sailing!

p.gazibara

Member III
I should be THAT guy…

Have you considered going electric? It can be done at a fraction of the cost of a new diesel install. If you are willing to learn how to do the work it can be very inexpensive.

Electric drives are much more forgiving with props/drivelines. In the long run it pays to match everything as you will go farther on the batteries, but you won’t damage the motor if the prop isn’t pitched perfectly out the gate.

As long as you aren’t a weekend warrior and don’t need to get places on a timeline, the benefits far outweigh that of a diesel.

If you plan to spend your time on anchor/moorings there is an added cost of adding solar, but again the benefits are there, the beer is always cold!

-p

Rebecca Ericson

I should be THAT guy…

Have you considered going electric? It can be done at a fraction of the cost of a new diesel install. If you are willing to learn how to do the work it can be very inexpensive.

Electric drives are much more forgiving with props/drivelines. In the long run it pays to match everything as you will go farther on the batteries, but you won’t damage the motor if the prop isn’t pitched perfectly out the gate.

As long as you aren’t a weekend warrior and don’t need to get places on a timeline, the benefits far outweigh that of a diesel.

If you plan to spend your time on anchor/moorings there is an added cost of adding solar, but again the benefits are there, the beer is always cold!

-p

Very interesting. Curious as to whether others agree and whether electric engines are as reliable. I can see there a lot of pros. At the moment I can't live on the boat as it is, the smell of gas is overpowering. I was always planning for solar, so maybe this ties in nicely! Thanks -P!

p.gazibara

Member III
I’d try to get some perspective from other electric boat owners first, but the overwhelming simplicity ties very nicely into reliability.

Mark F has had an E drive in Lotus flower for over a decade now, I’m sure he can provide some insight.

We converted Cinderella back in 2016, so we have 8 years now and some 15k nm zig zagging around the Pacific (based in NZ now)

There will be plenty of sailors who scoff at it though.

It’s not for everyone, but I’ll convert the next boat too. I can fill the batteries at anchor when the sun shines, can’t say the same of diesel/gasoline tanks.

It was unreliable diesels that taught me how to sail on and off docks though

-p

Rebecca Ericson

Thanks again -p. I feel good pretty good about electric, now having looked into it. It seems like a step into the future, rather than replacing with something that's second hand, and without people with the knowledge to install it, going into retirement.
When you approach a company for an electric engine conversion, they couldn't be more helpful - wanting to convert their customers! It seems the battery power will only improve too.

We are not going anywhere in a rush.

Enjoy Nz!

Cutbait61

Member II
Thanks again -p. I feel good pretty good about electric, now having looked into it. It seems like a step into the future, rather than replacing with something that's second hand, and without people with the knowledge to install it, going into retirement.
When you approach a company for an electric engine conversion, they couldn't be more helpful - wanting to convert their customers! It seems the battery power will only improve too.

We are not going anywhere in a rush.

Enjoy Nz!
I have an A4 in my E29..mine runs fine but as you say the fumes can be bad and I've spent hours looking for fuel leaks and have found nothing. I have done some research on conversion to electric and diesel. I did find on "Electric Yacht" some useful information. They sell conversion kits etc. based on your boat specs. It's very simple and user friendly...I went as far pricing for what my E29 needs , all inclusive goes for @ $8500...thats motor/battery w/ charger/ binnacle mount throttle.
Battery is 48v dc /96 ah ...im a licensed electrician so I'd do the install myself so no expense on labor. Check it out.

Rebecca Ericson

Haha, well that's funny! Because that's exactly what I did too! I might have someone coming to asses in a couple of weeks.

They've been extremely helpful and go out of their way to explain the process - providing photos of work done on other Ericson's as well.

We are really tempted now!

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Rebecca,
Here is a link to some old blog posts about my E27's EP system;
I have added some functionality since those posts, mostly to use the available electricity. The setup has been an amazingly reliable setup for the 15 years It's been installed. Regarding your issue with fumes in the cabin I do like not having a gas powered motor sitting in the living room ;-).