E32-3 backstay adjuster

mordust

Member II
I have a chance to get an old ratcheting backstay adjuster that is robust and in good condition from a friend who has a hobby business of scrapping and parting out abandoned old boats. I don't remember the manufacturer, and it is 50 miles away with the rigger. Possibly Wichard. The ratcheting handle is a metal handle that sticks out about 6 inches or so and does not fold up against the stay. Because it rotates in a plane perpendicular to the stay, I would have to connect it to the chainplate via a 12-14 inch stainless steel tang in order for it just to clear the transom while turning it. Between the adjuster and having the tang made up, I would be into this for $500 give or take. This is one of those deals that just kind of came up, I was not originally planning on the adjuster. The boat came without. I am not inclined to pony up for a new more modern hydraulic version, I guess. We are currently replacing the standing rigging, BTW.

Thoughts anyone, especially 32-3 folks. How many of you 32-3 sailors have a backstay adjuster AND use it? We don't do any real racing, just the usual racing that you do anytime you see any sailboat going in a similar direction as you are. When I was shopping for the new boat, I really didn't really notice many of the pictures showing that these boats had one, but that could just be the the way the pictures were shot.

Our rigger says for our kind of sailing, he would forego it and "just go sailing", but will do whatever we decide.

But... What say you? Please chime in!

Thanks in advance.

Bob

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Got a picture? Most screw adjusters have folding handles or a wheel.

It would have to look cool for me to bite.

I would say to myself, for $500 I could get a really good haircut instead.

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
forego it and "just go sailing"

I'm with your rigger, at least so far. I had a line on a such-a-deal for a Wichard adjuster a year or so and after thinking about it a bit decided not to pull the trigger on it.

Bruce

Mort Fligelman

Member III
Backstay Adjustor

My advice is listen to the rigger.....KISS Theory....

Hydraulics are prone to eventual leakage and failure as the seals dry out and leak eventually from being out in the
sun. I have one, and so far one repair which was over $300.....

The ratchet unit you are looking at was installed on a sister ship to my Seidelmann 299......I did not care for it when I first saw, it and opted for a wheel adjustable unit which was great, but not without maintainance issues.

Repeat....if not racing listen to the rigger!!!!!

nquigley

Sustaining Member
With a masthead rig, there's little need for real-time backstay adjustment, and the double-spreader rig will resist a lot of adjustment anyway (without also adjusting all the other shrouds too).
IMHO, adjusting your backstay while sailing is completely unnecessary on a multi-spreader masthead rig, unless you're doing serious and very competitive racing, and you have a finely optimized boat (and crew), and the sailing legs are long (hours).
For cruising, even if the weather forecast says it's backstay tightening weather (a strong breeze on the nose in lumpy seas, in which added prebend would help flatten the body of the main), you're probably going to just reef, which defeats the purpose/benefit of increasing backstay tension anyway.

gadangit

Member III
We have a wheel on a backstay adjuster that gets used often enough to value it's existence. Tightening the backstay also tightens the forestay removing the sag. So reef or not, you are depowering your sailplan.