E29 scoop transom

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Would it be crazy to add a scoop transom to an E29? Plan, add 2' 6' at the bottom of the transom and taper back to the original transom at the top. Intent, have a swim platform and fold up telescopic ladder on the starboard side and on the port a compartment to house a Honda EU200 generator, the generator compartment would have a door that would hinge out to allow cooling for the generator, have an exhaust extension to allow the exhaust to go out the compartment and be isolated from the interior of the boat. It might require a cutout in the transom and fabrication of a inset box to allow room for the generator. I am attaching a picture of the transom with grey lines showing the compartment door and the half scoop for boarding along with a modified drawing of the hull profile with the add on in blue.

It is OK to tell me I am crazy for thinking of this.

Attachments

• E29 scoop 2m.png
    E29 scoop 2m.png
    88.1 KB · Views: 97
  • transom scoop.jpg
    transom scoop.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 91

adam

Member III
Ummmm... I love the E29 too and there are certainly crazier ideas out there, but have you considered just buying a bigger boat?

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Looked at an E35 on the Gulf and decided another boat would not be the answer, slip fees, insurance, taxes, and upkeep. I can only manage two or three extended trips to the coast each year. Retired but still running wide open with the house, girlfriend, and the sailing club. The 29 is my choice of boats, I can trailer her to the coast and have her dunked for the cost of a couple of months slip fees, have one cruiser to maintain, not have to run to the coast every storm that heads for the Gulf and with the Mirage 236 that I race, another 236 that I am building as a total tricked out race boat and my Siren 17 that I sail on the lake I live on, I just don't need another boat and the 29 is not going to be sold so I can upgrade. Short answer Yes I thought about a bigger boat, the 29 is ideal for the lake the club is on and is a good coastal boat.

Another and simpler idea is to build a rack for the generator that would mount on the stern rail and support the generator outside the rail at the back of the boat and store the generator in the port lazarette when not in use.

adam

Member III
Do you need your Q-berth?

If not, could you shorten your Q-berth a bit and use that space to permanently mount it?

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Don't want the noise, heat and exhaust in the living quarters. I probably will just build a bracket to hand it on the stern rail when in use. I also am installing a Marine air unit that I have had for three years and just been too busy to fool with it.

The scoop transom is an idea I have toyed with for years.

adam

Member III
Don't want the noise, heat and exhaust in the living quarters.

I wasn't clear enough.

When I said shortening the Q-berth, I was actually thinking of walling it off.

Then it shouldn't be any more of an issue than the closed off engine compartment.

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Randy, I added a removable transom platform on my E27 recently. I plan to use it for a Honda 2000i generator.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 71
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 86

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
I still argue with myself whether to add a swim platform back there, or would it interfere with the eventual wind vane?

Apparently, there are a lot of different variations on the E29, but mine has a huge void on the starboard side above the fuel tank. I'd think that would be the place for a generator compartment, or maybe another fuel tank.

Then of course, there's always the problem of adding weight in the ends.

In any case, there is currently no extra room in my slip for more length.

PDX

Member III
Would it be crazy to add a scoop transom to an E29? Plan, add 2' 6' at the bottom of the transom and taper back to the original transom at the top. Intent, have a swim platform and fold up telescopic ladder on the starboard side and on the port a compartment to house a Honda EU200 generator, the generator compartment would have a door that would hinge out to allow cooling for the generator, have an exhaust extension to allow the exhaust to go out the compartment and be isolated from the interior of the boat. It might require a cutout in the transom and fabrication of a inset box to allow room for the generator. I am attaching a picture of the transom with grey lines showing the compartment door and the half scoop for boarding along with a modified drawing of the hull profile with the add on in blue.

It is OK to tell me I am crazy for thinking of this.

Looks like a stubbed down E35-2 with the bustle between keel and rudder continuing into a counter transom. Very similar keel and rudder profiles as well.

http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=1708

paul culver

Member III
I vote NO for the scoop transom, but I'm a nut for keeping everything original (as much as possible)on my E29. Mark F's removable set-up looks good to me.

Paul
E29 "Bear"

Shelman

Member III
Blogs Author
I don't see why it wouldn't work, you would likely need to add a larger anchor and all chain rode up front to compensate for the load in the tail, and then you would probably see an increase in your boats tendency to hobbyhorse in a bit of chop. have you thought about a wind turbine instead? I also added a LARGE house battery bank to even things out a bit between opportunities to charge. I still think the addition would be cool though.
I really understand your need to keep your small boat. I launch my E-26 off of its trailer and put the mast up my self and keep it in the driveway during the winter. It makes all the difference. Not to mention the fact that you probably have too much time invested in the boat by now to ever let it go for market value.
Are you thinking of solid glass layup or some kind of cold molded construction? I could even conceive of a design that allowed for attachment via through bolting a removable transom extension in the shape you indicated.
I have seen similar extensions done before.

adam

Member III
toddster;86870Apparently said:
So far as I know, there were only two versions of the E29 interior and both have the same space.

That's exactly the same spot I was suggesting. Makes total sense to install something big back there, and shorten the Q-berth only if things don't fit.

The weight is an issue, but that's going to be an issue either way -- if the generators is stored temporarily in the cockpit locker or permanently on the starboard side. I guess it will be a bit further back and a bit more severe if it's behind the Q-berth...

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Shelman, I was thinking of a bolt on with drainage to allow any water taken in to drain quickly. This is just an idea I have had for a while and in keeping the boat original I will probably not do. I haven't installed the marine air due to not wanting to cut holes in the boat and I might be lazy too.

It is not the investment of work and money in the boat, I loved this boat the first time I saw her and couldn't buy her for four years with her sitting with a for sale sign on her the whole time, walking past on the way to my Neptune 24, dreaming and wishing for the four years while hoping somehow she would be there when I was able to buy her. A girlfriend once told me if I found a woman I felt about like the boat I would be the happiest man on earth.

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Randy, I'm in Little Sabine for the Blue Angels weekend. sitting below with my Honda 2000 running the Mermaid 16,000 BTU. I place my generator on the hump of the helm seat with the exhaust going out the back. It's not too noisy. I've been thinking of lifting it up with the outboard motor hoist to get rid of any vibration.

I like that swim platform idea......

Last edited: