E29 sails

Wolfy189

Member I
There are 2 different sail options for the E29. One is standard and the other is a "tall" rig. Is there any way to look at the boat and know which is which? Mine is from 1972 if that helps. Thanks for anybody replying. My email is wolfy189@gmail.com, name is Jon. I sail out of South Haven, MI. I've owned the boat now for 4 years and was told at the beginning that my sails were "old". So, its time to renew. I'm intimidated by all the measuring instructions. They tell you its simple but apparently not for me (and others I've asked)

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
There are 2 different sail options for the E29. One is standard and the other is a "tall" rig. Is there any way to look at the boat and know which is which? Mine is from 1972 if that helps. Thanks for anybody replying. My email is wolfy189@gmail.com, name is Jon. I sail out of South Haven, MI. I've owned the boat now for 4 years and was told at the beginning that my sails were "old". So, its time to renew. I'm intimidated by all the measuring instructions. They tell you its simple but apparently not for me (and others I've asked)

Some random thoughts, in no particular order...
Are you going to have to buy sails "mail order"? Or, are there some sailmakers near enough to come to your boat?
And then, even if someone does come and do the measurements in person, you need confidence that they will do a proper job and absolutely guarantee their work to fit.

Back in '80, I used to measure boats for a sail maker up in Seattle. I was always nervous about the numbers and checked everything several times. I was using a printed guideline to "fill in the blanks", just like they would use for a boat visit. No problems with my numbers. Economically, it was a sideline for me, in any case, and I was actively in business for only a few years. I was racing OD at the time and selling a line of small boats for a little builder that had lost their local on-water rep. for a while.

Your concerns are well founded, but will also help keep you sharp as you participate in this process. When you do the basics, you can understand and much better communicate with the pro's in person or on the phone.
To pick a sailmaker I am familiar with, UKSails has a Measurement Form you can d/l. http://www.uksailmakers.com/Resources/PDF-Librabry.html

Lee Sails has a form on line too. http://www.leesails.com/quote.php

I imagine that whatever loft you consider has something similar.

For starters, take one of their printed-out forms to your boat and a long cloth tape measure and just start in. After all, no matter who does this, the actual measurements of YOUR boat are the only ones that are useful. Knowing if you have a Standard or Tall rig is ok for getting a "ball park" quote over the phone, but will not (!) replace real numbers from the actual boat.

Most sailmakers that I know will require some photos of the outhaul part of the boom and of the goose neck. If your boat does not have roller furling for the headsail, this is the most economical time to add it, BTW.
Your digital camera is your friend in these here modern times. You can email info and photos and get quotes back in a day, or sooner. :nerd:

Many here have done what you contemplate now. We can offer encouragement, albeit at a safe distance!

Another thought, another E-sailor in your general area "Grizz" has been making some light air sails from kits on his home sewing machine. He sez that they work well, and he really liked the learning process... save some $$, too.

Regards,
Loren in distant PDX

Last edited:

Wolfy189

Member I
Thanks

Thanks Loren for the great suggestion and info and the tip on the local sailor "Grizz". Hope I get to meet him/her : )

Some random thoughts, in no particular order...
Are you going to have to buy sails "mail order"? Or, are there some sailmakers near enough to come to your boat?
And then, even if someone does come and do the measurements in person, you need confidence that they will do a proper job and absolutely guarantee their work to fit.

Back in '80, I used to measure boats for a sail maker up in Seattle. I was always nervous about the numbers and checked everything several times. I was using a printed guideline to "fill in the blanks", just like they would use for a boat visit. No problems with my numbers. Economically, it was a sideline for me, in any case, and I was actively in business for only a few years. I was racing OD at the time and selling a line of small boats for a little builder that had lost their local on-water rep. for a while.

Your concerns are well founded, but will also help keep you sharp as you participate in this process. When you do the basics, you can understand and much better communicate with the pro's in person or on the phone.
To pick a sailmaker I am familiar with, UKSails has a Measurement Form you can d/l. http://www.uksailmakers.com/Resources/PDF-Librabry.html

Lee Sails has a form on line too. http://www.leesails.com/quote.php

I imagine that whatever loft you consider has something similar.

For starters, take one of their printed-out forms to your boat and a long cloth tape measure and just start in. After all, no matter who does this, the actual measurements of YOUR boat are the only ones that are useful. Knowing if you have a Standard or Tall rig is ok for getting a "ball park" quote over the phone, but will not (!) replace real numbers from the actual boat.

Most sailmakers that I know will require some photos of the outhaul part of the boom and of the goose neck. If your boat does not have roller furling for the headsail, this is the most economical time to add it, BTW.
Your digital camera is your friend in these here modern times. You can email info and photos and get quotes back in a day, or sooner. :nerd:

Many here have done what you contemplate now. We can offer encouragement, albeit at a safe distance!

Another thought, another E-sailor in your general area "Grizz" has been making some light air sails from kits on his home sewing machine. He sez that they work well, and he really liked the learning process... save some $$, too.

Regards,
Loren in distant PDX

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
My 1978 tall rig has single spreaders. The foot of the main is less than 10' and on the standard the foot of the main is around 12'. The measuring process is not that hard, You just need a measurement form with good instructions. I will Email a set that have to you. You will need to measure the boat no matter which rig you have. Don't order sails by the published measurements.

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Call a local sailmaker.

There are a couple in Muskegon and a bunch in Chicago. Call and tell them you want a quote for a main and a couple of headsails but need someone to come measure the boat for best fit and because you are not sure which rig you have. I am sure one of them will come down to measure and quote. Then you will know.