E23 Trailer Info

mdgann

'76 E23
A couple of weeks ago there was a question here in the forum about trailer dimensions for an E23. I answered outside of the forum with a CAD model and dimensioned drawing of my trailer. I thought it may be helpful to put those on here for anyone else that may want the info. The model is very basic and not complete, but provides enough info to be able to determine if a particular trailer will fit the bill. I will Attach the drawing as I cannot figure out how to attach more than one file. Hope someone will find this helpful.

Bob in Va

Member III
Great Idea!

Though it might be obvious, I'll point out that this trailer is set up for a fixed keel Mk 2 E23 and that a centerboard model or a Mk 1 would need different dimensions in most, if not all, locations.

mdgann

'76 E23
Trailer

Yes, I tend to forget about the centerboard versions. Pretty ignorant of me, I know, but that's the problem with being opionionated. I've never liked centerboarders. I will strive to be more PC (Pro Centerboard) in the future and view all as brothers and sisters of kind. Thanks for the reminder.

Bob in Va

Member III
Keel vs CB

Well, I have to agree that the fixed keel seems to be a more "pure" design and certainly has a nicer and cleaner shape under the water. I always thought of the centerboarder as a kind of compromise concession to being able to trailer the boat more easily. Around here you always have to beware of a drop off at the end of the ramp, so having the boat draw a foot less might be the difference in being able to launch or not. However, after a year of sailing the CB model, I have to admit that it has grown on me and I enjoy having one more line to pull. Occasionally I have unintentionally used the board like a giant "curb feeler" - are you old enough to remember those bumper-mounted antenna-looking gizzies? - to warn me the water was getting thin. I have wondered if its foot-wide, 2" thick foil can't be a little more efficient lift generator than the fixed keel, which must also be beefy enough to support the boat's weight. Great topic for discussion over a couple of beers, eh?

mdgann

'76 E23
Curb feelers

Yes, I know about curb feelers. I sail in a lake with an average depth of less than 15 feet so the centerboard feeler would come in handy. If I had a centerboarder I would be in the water now and sailing. As it is, I am watching the web site that records water elevation in the Great Salt Lake on a daily basis. I need 1.4 more feet before I can put back in. That would put the lake level at 4197 ft above sea level.
My aversion to the centerboard comes from limited experience sailing a 20 footer out of Fajardo in Puerto Rico. The centerboard was always sticking when I didn't want it to and falling free when I wanted it to hold still. At anything over 3 knots it would start humming. At 5 knots it felt like the boat would come to pieces from the vibration. It was so annoying that it was almost better to start the outboard- almost. I've never sailed an Ericson with a centerboard, so ought to reserve judgement.
As far as efficiency of each configuration, the centerboard with it's high aspect ratio could develope more lift. Does anyone out there have any info or experience about the relative speed of each?

Bob in Va

Member III
phrf numbers

The fixed keel rates a touch faster. I believe it rates about 228 to 231 and the centerboard about 231 to 234. Both Mk 2 models, of course. The fixed keel draws less water and weighs a hundred pounds less, though it is considered to be a little stiffer as the ballast is lower. The centerboarder has its lead in a shoal keel on either side of the slot. On other centerboard boats I have sailed, the boards banged around and the cable vibrated, though maybe not to the extent you describe. On the E23 I almost never hear any thumping from the board, and have yet to feel the cable, I think. The boat did have a little "hum" that you could feel through the tiller at close to hull speed, but I haven't noticed it much lately. Because the cable attaches so close to the pin, I don't think it creates much drag, though the mechanical advantage is pretty low and it is a beast to raise - at least 4 turns on the winch are necessary. Worth it, though, as you can see 0.2 to 0.4 more knots boatspeed.

kjenne

Trailer info - Thanks!!

Michael,
Thanks so much for the drawing... this will help a lot! I just bought a trailer and so my new friend Mark (another Mk1 owner here in San Diego) and I will be making this a project in the very near future. We will let you know the progress and how it fits our Mk 1's.
Thanks again,
Keith

SaoirseStarr

A couple of weeks ago there was a question here in the forum about trailer dimensions for an E23. I answered outside of the forum with a CAD model and dimensioned drawing of my trailer. I thought it may be helpful to put those on here for anyone else that may want the info. The model is very basic and not complete, but provides enough info to be able to determine if a particular trailer will fit the bill. I will Attach the drawing as I cannot figure out how to attach more than one file. Hope someone will find this helpful.
What are the chances that you still have the CAD drawing file?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
What are the chances that you still have the CAD drawing file?
That member has not checked back in since 2006. You should click on his screen name and choose the option "start conversation". This will route your message to his email of record. Long shot after all this time, but often people keep their same email address for years or decades.

Am not familiar with the E23 but recently converted a powerboat trailer to fit a fin keel Catalina 22. I'm interested in the mentioned CAD drawings as well, less so for specific dimensioning but rather materials and fitment. Is there anything in particular you're looking for in the drawings?