Guest viewing is limited

double headed E35-2 ?

steven

Sustaining Member
Having gone to a 100% jib on my E35-2 for a working headsail, I am now considering the merits of a adding a perm roller furled second headsail for light weather. Not converting to a cutter - headsails would be either/or.

Anyone try this or have advice. Would the big sail go on the inside (so it doesn't have to be tacked through the small space between the stays)? Should I consider a small sprit (already have an anchor sprit - maybe just beef it up?)

thanks

--Steve

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Steve, here is a photo of an E35-2 with a double headsail setup. I took the photo but have not checked out the setup up close. Maybe Chappy, the owner of this E35 will chime in here.

I added a sprit and an asymmetrical on a furler on my E27, it works well and gives me good light wind performance.

image.jpg

chappy

Double head rig.

Hi Steven,
I have been running a double head rig on Bellisima for the past couple of years. Mostly because it looks cool! Yeah silly but true... As for how I run my sheets for the jib they do cross in front of the staysail. Or between the fore stay and the baby stay. As for the staysail sheets, the E35-2 manual has the sheets running out side the shrouds just like the jib. I have T-trac on the deck just forward of the cock-pit. I run my staysail sheets between the cap/intermediate shrouds and the lowers shrouds. So down the deck... This seems to give a better slot between the jib and the staysail when going to weather.
As for functionality It only seems to make a difference in light air. The best advantage though of having this option in your sail plan is in heavy weather,
beating up hill. I have used the staysail for my headsail and my main reefed in the 30 knots + and had decent balance at the helm. At least better than just
a head sail or just a main.

Beast regards,
Chappy.

Dave N

Member III
I'm told that I have the factory staysail set up by the PO that bought my boat new. It has a factory block on the mast and extra factory halyard winch on mast. You can see the factory sheet set up in the pic and the dodger does interfere with this arrangement. The staysail has a wire luff w/o hanks and a line at the tack which attaches to an extra cleat on the fore deck. Seems to me that this was intended to be a reaching setup as it is less than ideal for heavy air close hauled work.

Attachments

• DSC01307 (1024x502).jpg
    DSC01307 (1024x502).jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 289

chappy

Double head rig.

Hi Steve,
As for where I attach the staysail to the deck. I have a 24" long t-track 1 1/4" wide. it is located centered over the bulked that separates the anchor locker
from the v-birth. Other E35s I have seen and also in the Ericson 35 MK II manual a pad eye is located over the bulked. could be just before the bulkhead, to hide the re-enforcement under the deck.. You basically want the baby stay to be parallel to the head stay. I have t-track because when I run my symmetrical spinnaker I can slide my fore guy block on to the track. And when I'm running the cutter rig I can switch it out and slide on a car with an eye to attach the staysail.

On the pic that Dave posted shows the factory set up for the double head rig. I believe he is right. As this may be best suited for reaching. I at first ran my stay sail to the t-track on the toe rail. but found that I could not pinch.... I researched and found the factory set up in the manual on this web site. But decided I could close haul better if I ran the sheets as I do now between the shrouds down the deck.

Chad.