desperately seeking e28+ rudder

mainer

hi all, lower half of rudder snapped off and is now gone.... anyone have one? *OR* If not, know what the specifications are to have one made? - If you have made one yourself - what did you fabricate it out of? Can I just use fiberglass? Thnx!

Mr. Scarlett

Member III
There are a couple of models that shared rudders. Since there's a 27 and a 29 you might want to look into that and perhaps improve your chances.

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Mainer,
I "remodeled" a spare rudder I had for my E27. I was going for a Schumacker (ish) outcome. While not a traditional approach it has worked well for 5 years or so and is an improvement in handling. After watching some Boat Works Today videos I figured I'd give it a shot. Since it was a spare rudder what's the worst that could happen ;-).

Attachments

• 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 9
  • 20.JPG
    20.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 28.JPG
    28.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 31.JPG
    31.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 10

gabriel

Live free or die hard
hi all, lower half of rudder snapped off and is now gone.... anyone have one? *OR* If not, know what the specifications are to have one made? - If you have made one yourself - what did you fabricate it out of? Can I just use fiberglass? Thnx!
Would you mind sharing the story of how it snapped off?

mainer

Hi Mainer,
I "remodeled" a spare rudder I had for my E27. I was going for a Schumacker (ish) outcome. While not a traditional approach it has worked well for 5 years or so and is an improvement in handling. After watching some Boat Works Today videos I figured I'd give it a shot. Since it was a spare rudder what's the worst that could happen ;-).
What am I looking at in pic #2 - is that spray foam?

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
What am I looking at in pic #2 - is that spray foam?
No, it's two part mixed foam. The lumpy look is from the second pour (drizzle) to fill some low spots after the initial pour. My thought on the aluminum leading edge was to have a good straight form to follow also to bridge/support the area below the original rudder and the new shape. Of course the tube is from my hang glider boneyard :) - so 6061 T6 "aircraft" aluminum. I used 3 layers of 1708 fiberglass.

mainer

so you glass over both the mixed foam, as well as the aluminum tube - is that correct? Also, you indicated you changed something that made handling better - is it that the rudder is angled back behind the boat now, and not straight down...or?

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
No, the rudder is actually straighter down and higher aspect ratio - the original rudder was quite swept back and shorter. The "new" shape has more authority (less deflection needed to turn). The biggest handling difference is surfing down waves in 20+ knots of wind. The old shape would struggle in those conditions. Now I can put the boat where I want it on the wave.

RustyJones71

Also have a laminated tiller and mounting hardware, teak cockpit grates, Harken furler, mast and boom, sails incl drifter/reacher, full rig and interior wood work and forward hatch. newer Atomic 30hp, prop shaft and 2blade prop etc.

Attachments

• DSCN0650.JPG
    DSCN0650.JPG
    146.7 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCN0647.JPG
    DSCN0647.JPG
    175.9 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCN0640.JPG
    DSCN0640.JPG
    207.7 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0646.JPG
    DSCN0646.JPG
    258.7 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0639.JPG
    DSCN0639.JPG
    121.9 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0653.JPG
    DSCN0653.JPG
    207.7 KB · Views: 2

mainer

Also have a laminated tiller and mounting hardware, teak cockpit grates, Harken furler, mast and boom, sails incl drifter/reacher, full rig and interior wood work and forward hatch. newer Atomic 30hp, prop shaft and 2blade prop etc.
do you have dimensions of the rudder - im not sure it will work (?) - my E28 is wheel not tiller...