Delaminating storage locker lid

gabosifat

Member III
Greetings to everyone!
My son and 2 friends used the boat for about 10 days in cold and very rainy weather. They did a lot of hiking in the rain and consequently tried drying their raingear in the boat. We have a Webasto forced air heating system, but it was not enough to deal with all the moisture in the boat. The result between wet clothing and breathing of 3 people for those 10 days meant the boat was literally dripping with condensation when it came home.
The other day whilst cleaning and drying things I noticed the locker lid at the forward end of the v-berth was delaminating badly. The white plastic surface was peeling back in a big sheet. No problem I thought, I'll just contact cement it back into place. Wrong! As soon as I put any pressure on it, the white surface was so brittle it just flaked off as I tried to push it back to contact the glue. The result is, I have a locker cover which has delaminated on one end, but is perfectly well stuck at the other end. My thought is to remove the white plastic material, and paint the surface with a good marine enamel. The core board looks like particle board, but is obviously made of a water proof or resistant material.
My question is: How do I remove the rest of the white material easily? My thought is to use my heat gun and a putty knife, but thought I'd ask the group in case there are some better solutions.
Many thanks to all who reply!
Cheers,
Steve Gabbott
E35/3 Silent Dancer
Gabriola Island B.C.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Heat gun sounds like a start. Then just sand and paint with high gloss (or semi). It's probably plywood. Interiors are not designed to get wet, and I doubt it's even marine plywood.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If it is plywood, you could use the old piece for a pattern. Make the new one out of exterior ply, and laminate some matching 'Formica' onto it. Our boat has one color for every location and I wonder if EY bought just one finish/color to make fitting out easier.
I have a store sample chip. "Formica 858-58 Pumice Matte finish"
I used epoxy for bonding new laminate, because I am hesitant to use the "one shot" contact cement. But that's just me.

Mr. Scarlett

Member III
If you really want to save it, try the heat gun, prying the laminate away from the core while slicing at the glue layer with a utility knife.
If that doesn't work don PPE and switch to lacquer thinner.