Crying in my Vodka

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
So, after working on my 87' 28/2 for over a year getting things ship shape the boat was launched this week. Spent a couple of days at the marina loading things on and finally getting to relax. This boat is now a hybrid as the mast is from my 81' 28+ with the necessary adjustments to the geometry of the fore triangle and all new rigging. The mast is a foot shorter than the original mast. When I purchased the 81' 28+ I decided a good spur for my refit efforts was to have new sails made. Had a sail maker come to the 28+ and add a new Selden furler and take measurements for the new sails. That was two years ago. As life would have it, plans had to change. When the opportunity to purchase a recently dismasted 87' 28/2, for far less money than it was going to take me to totally refit the 28+, I jumped on it. Here was an almost ready to go boat and I had a mast. After doing the necessary research and comparing the positions of the fittings on each mast I put together a plan and executed it. I keep my boats at home so everything has to fit on a trailer and I raise and lower the mast myself. With the boat in my yard I raised the mast and on a calm day had the opportunity to try the main sail for fit and all was well. The wind piped up and I didn't have the chance to try the 135 genoa. Family obligations pulled me away from the boat project for a month and I was anxious to get the boat in the water. Down came the mast and all readied for a trip to the marina and a splash. Preparing to leave the marina we installed the main and then the genoa. Well, when we finally had the opportunity to raise the genoa it turned out to be over a foot too long in the luff and when furled the cover "barber poled". Needless to say I was a bit perturbed. Emailed the sail maker. It being late on a Friday afternoon I received an away message. Waiting for a reply. I can see another brief northeast sailing season slipping from my grasp. Pass me the vodka.