Cold weather seaboot recommendations?

driftless

Member III
Blogs Author
I have an offer to sail from Newfoundland to Maine this fall and am need of a new pair of seaboots for the voyage.

I ordered a pair of the Gill offshore boots but they don't fit right. Length is good, but they're way too loose over the top of my foot, even in a heavy sock. They also seem very flimsy and not very supportive.

Xtratufs were an Alaskan staple, but I hear their quality has gone way down after being bought out. Muck boots could be another option, but I'm not sure about how grippy they are, or if they're non-marking.

I ordered a pair of the Zhik offshore boots for my wife, who gets cold feet easily. They seem like they'll work really well for her, but I hate to spend that much on myself.

Do any of you cold weather sailors have some you really like?

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
have a regular width and a high instep. I'm looking for a boot that isn't clumsy, but still easy to slip on, good grip, and comfortable. So far we've tried :

Gill - fell apart in 6 months with the sole coming delaminated and the top cuff ripping apart, but continued to use for a few years.
West Marine made by Gill (Wife's)- basic, but has held up really well
Danbarry - really well made, but narrow and has a low instep that doesn't work well for my foot. I thought they were good in the store, but had to return. If they fit, they would be worth the high price.
Xtratufs (low Leather) - really comfortable and easy to get on and off. Had them for 6 months and started to see the sole separate pretty early, but they are still waterproof. Inexpensive if you watch sales, so I think they're a good middle ground. Much better fit than Danbarry and Gill for me
Muck (sons) - He has a similar instep to mine, but wider. He loves them for off boat work, but the sole really doesn't work for sailboat decks.
Hunter (Son, wife, and daughter) - Well made and last a long time. More for fashion then usefulness. They keep water out but don't offer much grip. We don't use these on the boat anymore.

Outside of the Danbarry boots, none of the above are really cold weather boots and they rely on heavy socks. I'm looking forward to hearing what others have to say.

I have a pair of Dryshod deck boots and am happy with them. Warmth has never been an issue for me down to about 20F, in dry conditions.

have also tried on Grundens products and they were comfortable but more thin and “flexible”