Change seawater cooling hose

hiflight

I just purchased a 1989 E-34. The survey reports that the seawater supply hose is cracked and needs replacing. This line starts under the galley, runs under the floor to the engine. A mechanic reports to me that he won't touch it because getting a new line through might require removing the flooring to get the new line through stringers under the flooring. Does anyone have a method to replace this line?

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Get a hose barb union, fasten the new hose to the end of the old hose and pull/push the hose through. Very easily done. On my '87 E-34 there were no concealed ties to the boat.

Get a good quality hose that can stand the suction without collapsing.

Attachments

• floor 3.jpg
    floor 3.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 272

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If clearance is a possible problem, you could stitch the ends of the two hoses together. You can get an idea of how close the fit is by pulling on either end of the old hose and see how easily it moves a bit.
It would be Difficult to stitch, what with the multiple fabric layers of a hose in that application. I did that once on a prior boat to install a new water hose to a forward water tank, and it ran quite a distance under an interior frp molding -- not too hard to sew with typical half inch water hose...

Interesting that the late model E-34 used an intake scheme just like our '88 Olson. Our original seacock was under the galley module. The hose went under the sole just aft of that, through an engine stringer molding, and to the raw water pump. It had a fairly sharp turn in it, too.
I wonder if the same guys in the Ericson shop thought that up! :rolleyes:

I moved the intake aft under the aft berth and filled in the old hole with layers of cloth and epoxy after chamfering the edges. The run is now simpler, a little shorter, and there's room for a Groco strainer, too.

Let us know how it all works out. Keep the photos coming, too.

As part of that change on our boat I removed the sole pieces and refinished 'em. That made it all go a lot faster.

Aside: Some folks accomplish great feats in their lives... all I ever seem to do is futz around the inside of old boats!
Sigh.... :rolleyes:

Loren
:egrin:

HerbertFriedman

Member III
I had the boat yard replace most of the hoses on my "new to me" 87 E34. They tried to replace the sea water cooling hose but had to pull up the floor boards just aft the galley. Turns out the hole in the stringer is just wide enough for the hose, very tight fit, they could not pull a new hose using the old one as a "pull string". Not too difficult, the bungs come right out and the floor board unscrews, went back together easily, but at the yard rates, ouch.

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
I had the boat yard replace most of the hoses on my "new to me" 87 E34. They tried to replace the sea water cooling hose but had to pull up the floor boards just aft the galley. Turns out the hole in the stringer is just wide enough for the hose, very tight fit, they could not pull a new hose using the old one as a "pull string". Not too difficult, the bungs come right out and the floor board unscrews, went back together easily, but at the yard rates, ouch.

Herb - You were very lucky, or else were robbed. My hoses had lots of clearance as can be seen in the picture, but the sole wouldn't come up without using enough force to pull off the bottom ply.

Attachments

• floor 4A.jpg
    floor 4A.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 241

mkollerjr

Member III
Blogs Author
Not to dig up this old thread, but I’ll throw my experience out there for other people’s reference. I replaced the engine raw water hose on my E38 earlier this year. It looks like it has a similar routing as the E34, under the cabin sole.

First, I removed the hose connection to the strainer under the galley. I then inserted a nylon union to join/align the ends of the old and new hose. I didn’t use hose clamps, but instead placed a few wraps of Gorilla tape around the hose to secure the two ends together. I had my partner yank on the end of the hose near the engine while I pushed on the other end in the galley. It was tight, and it took a little bit of work, but eventually we got the new hose through. All in all, it took maybe 15 minutes.

Mark

HerbertFriedman

Member III
that is the way I would have changed that hose as well. But I let the yard monkey do it and he could not pull the new hose through so he had to pull up the floor board. Turns out the hole in the vertical board under the floor board was barely large enough to accommodate the OD of the old hose and I think the OD of the new hose was a tad larger. But I think this was the same monkey who installed my head Y valve backwards so I think I am through with that yard.

Ryan L

s/v Naoma
I just purchased a 1989 E-34. The survey reports that the seawater supply hose is cracked and needs replacing. This line starts under the galley, runs under the floor to the engine. A mechanic reports to me that he won't touch it because getting a new line through might require removing the flooring to get the new line through stringers under the flooring. Does anyone have a method to replace this line?

We cut an access panel into the cabin sole. Makes it much easier to replace the hose and is a good place to put an absorb pad to catch any fuel or oil that may be working its way towards the bilge.

mkollerjr

Member III
Blogs Author
Re: hose size

The raw water hose on my E38 with a Yanmar 3HM was 5/8". I'm not sure how that relates to other people's situations, or if they had larger hose diameters making replacement more difficult. The engine seems to get plenty of cooling water with the 5/8" hose.

Mark