Can I repair boom? Or where can I get a replacement

Alaska sailor

In taking the mainsail off for the first time since purchasing the boat, we broke the section that holds the foot of the sail. See pic. Can this be repaired? If not, where can I get a new boom?

Thanks,

Patti (aka Alaska sailor)

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 319

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Looking at the picture, I am not sure what is broke, the gooseneck fitting that attaches to the mast or the actual boom section (black painted).
Can you elaborate just a bit?

LB

Glyn Judson

Broken tab or tang or whatever you call it.

Loren and all, It appears to be the missing mate to the vertical tab or tang with a hole in it. The one closest to the camera is the missing one. I had this same thing happen to me on our E25+ and fixed it but can't remember the outcome. The end cap is all cast aluminum as well as the piece that snapped off. It's been so long since we owned that boat that I'm not sure who made the boom, was it possibly Kenyon or Le Fiell? Did I have the broken part welded or did I replace the whole cap, I just can't remember? Maybe someone who recognizes the cap can chime in to help. A quick search reveals that Rig Rite might be able to help if it's a Kenyon part: http://www.rigrite.com/Spars/Kenyon_Spars/KENYON.html I know that Le Fiell is still in business: http://www.lefiell.com Maybe one of these two can assist further. Glyn

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Loren and all, It appears to be the missing mate to the vertical tab or tang with a hole in it. The one closest to the camera is the missing one. I had this same thing happen to me on our E25+ and fixed it but can't remember the outcome. The end cap is all cast aluminum as well as the piece that snapped off. It's been so long since we owned that boat that I'm not sure who made the boom, was it possibly Kenyon or Le Fiell? Did I have the broken part welded or did I replace the whole cap, I just can't remember? Maybe someone who recognizes the cap can chime in to help. A quick search reveals that Rig Rite might be able to help if it's a Kenyon part: http://www.rigrite.com/Spars/Kenyon_Spars/KENYON.html I know that Le Fiell is still in business: http://www.lefiell.com Maybe one of these two can assist further. Glyn

Ah so.
I enlarged it a bit and now see that a part where the tack goes is missing on one side. Is that right?
It looks like part of the end fitting that also holds the ss swivel part... which also seems to have a bent tab.
I tried to do some image tweaking to better see the parts of it, also. Helped a little, maybe.

Loren

Attachments

• Boom problem.JPG
    Boom problem.JPG
    129.7 KB · Views: 295
Last edited:

Glyn Judson

Do you have the part?

Patti, Do you have the broken part? If so, maybe you can get a local welder to reattach it. That means removing the end cap and taking it to the welder. I believe it is held on by s few pop rivets that can be easily drilled out. Gyn

dt222

Member III
Question

I'm not sure what boat this is off of, but isn't it unusual to have the goose neck riveted to the mast?

Don

Glyn Judson

Removing the end cap.

Patti, To be more clear, the pop rivets I refer to attach the cap to the boom. Thanks to Loren's enlargement, I think i can see at least one of them in the edge of the boom, also painted black. Glyn

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Yes, just drill out the rivets. They're probably stainless, so use new bits and lube with oil and go slow so as not to heat-harden the stainless.

Take the end cap to a machine shop and show it to them. They'll have various solutions.

But this isn't a critical issue and you can sail with it the way it is. Just lash the tack of the main to the boom end in the position it's supposed to be.

Alaska sailor

Thanks!

attachment.php
Here's a pic of the piece. Thank you all so much for your replies! Yes, it is that little part on the end cap. The boat is a 1979 Ericson 25+ that I bought last summer that needs a lot of work before sailing that I am just getting to (I had it covered over in the harbor all winter). I wasn't planning on a new boom among the many projects that need to get done, so I'm glad there may be a relatively easy fix! Most of our marine services here are geared to fishing boats, not sailboats, and it can be hard to find services for sailboat matters, but I'm sure I can find a welder.

I appreciate the detailed instructions about drilling out the rivets. I also appreciate knowing that I can sail with it that way.

I keep telling people my learning curve is straight up on all of this, but it's really climbing up and around the power curve to get on top of things--on every little thing (though I'm loving just about every minute of it, despite the setbacks). I very much appreciate all of you taking the time to help. :)

I had the boat out of the water recently to check the bottom (luckily it had a prop in good shape) and paint and zinc. Here's a pic while it was in the yard, with one of our Juneau rainbows (this is rainy rainforest country).

Cheers,

Patti (aka Alaska sailor)
the Alula (Latin for "winglet")

attachment.php

Attachments

• piece.JPG
    piece.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 315
  • boat.JPG
    boat.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 50
  • boat.jpg
    boat.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 318

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
You bought a very handsome boat!

But then, I'm kinda biased. (My E26-2 is essentially a later version of your boat.)

These are fun little boats that sail well and have surprisingly comfortable interiors for their size.

Alaska sailor

No go on welding back on. Now looking to buy replacement cap

Thanks again to everyone for ideas here. I thought perhaps you might like to know the latest. The local welder (good recommended shop) said it couldn't be welded on, that he could make a whole new piece for me but that would be very expensive and suggested looking to buy a replacement end cap. So, that's my next plan. I will follow those links you posted earlier, Glyn.

Patti (aka Alaska Sailor)

Glyn Judson

Can you shop around?

Patti, Can you possibly try your luck with another welding shop? The reason I ask is that a distant memory back in the part of my brain where cob webs make things less than crystal clear, I seem to recall either having mine re-welded or getting a friend's done. We both owned 1979 E25+ boats with consecutive hulls, his #514 & ours #515. I never missed the opportunity to remind him that ours was the newer boat. All the best of luck, Glyn

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Thanks again to everyone for ideas here. I thought perhaps you might like to know the latest. The local welder (good recommended shop) said it couldn't be welded on, that he could make a whole new piece for me but that would be very expensive and suggested looking to buy a replacement end cap. So, that's my next plan. I will follow those links you posted earlier, Glyn.

Patti (aka Alaska Sailor)
Glyn mentioned earlier that LeFiell in Santa Fe Springs, CA (just a few miles from me) might have what you need. Did you check here? http://www.lefiell.com/gooseneck_assemb.html

--Alan

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I agree. Welding cast aluminum takes time and a lot of cleaning, but can be done.

If it were me, assuming you have the usual long list of other priorities, I'd just tie the tack to the boom or gin up some other simple workaround.

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Work around

If one side broke off how soon might it be that the opposite side will do the same. A very good, competent welder can assess the condition of the metal and determine if it's suitable for a grind down and buildup. Perhaps your welder didn't think the candidate metal had enough integrity for a repair. Alternative long term repair: Grind off the remaining ear and the residue of the broken one. Have a 1/8" x 1 1/4" stainless strap made so that it goes completely around the boom and has two ears that stick up mimicking what was original. Have two sets of holes drilled in the ears. (The ears may have to be made a bit longer than the original for this method to work) The lower set holes closest to the top of the boom will have a bolt and nut which when tightened clamps the strap around the boom. The upper set of holes you use to secure the sail. If there are any protruding heads from bolts used to secure the original cap just have holes drilled in the stainless strap so it fits over them. Make a heavy duty paper pattern and take it to a talented metal worker. Shouldn't take them long to bang it out. When I do this for custom parts I bend up a pattern out of light weight sheet metal with all of the appropriate holes marked. Good luck.

Alaska sailor

machine shop

Patti, Can you possibly try your luck with another welding shop? The reason I ask is that a distant memory back in the part of my brain where cob webs make things less than crystal clear, I seem to recall either having mine re-welded or getting a friend's done. We both owned 1979 E25+ boats with consecutive hulls, his #514 & ours #515. I never missed the opportunity to remind him that ours was the newer boat. All the best of luck, Glyn

Maybe but I don't think so, Glyn. Not a lot of options here. Thanks for the ideas and good wishes. Patti