cabin table- Ericson 30+

rogerfern

Member II
Inside cabin table came totally off, last week, I noticed pedestal was loose, appears that previous owner had used epoxy to hold bolt threads, any idea how to reattach? do I clean out holes and re-epoxy bolt threads? Do I totally totally cover holes and re drill threads in?
Any suggestions will be appreciated
Thank you
Roger

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Hi Roger,

Normally the cabin table should remain secure, so I'm wondering if moisture got into the existing screw holes, perhaps rotting the wood in that area. If you determine that it is solid and dry, I would clean out/drill the existing holes and enlarge them under the pedestal flange where that would be invisible. Then I would fill with epoxy and drill new holes. Epoxy can be quite brittle, so choosing the right drill bit for the screw size is important--if it's too tight the epoxy might crack away and if it's too loose the table will not be secure.

Although many would consider the table to be mainly cosmetic, I think these tables can take alot of wear as people lean on them when sitting in the salon, or use them for support when walking below while underway, especially in rougher seas. Therefore, I think the table needs to be secure.

Others might chime in with better advice! Good luck!

Frank
1984 E30+

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
My adjustable pedestal base screws into the plywood sole with #14 screws. You could just rotate it to find new wood. Dunno if yours is like that.

By the way, the pedestal base that accepts the Zwaardvis tapered tube is a stock item and can be replaced if corroded. Stainless screws in aluminum destroyed my original.

Last edited: