Brief recommendations/perceived bargains

goldenstate

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Not that it has ever happened to you, but in the midst of 1-2 recent projects, my boat descended to a state of chaos. I'm gradually getting a handle on things, but I know I will constantly be in a state of managing inventories of small parts and objects in a mobile aquatic environment.

Enter the Husky Tools 10-Compartment Interlocking Small Parts Organizer in Black from Home Depot. Twelve dollars. Cheap, I say! I have three so far. They are sturdy enough to serve as tool boxes and I am using one as such. The spread-out format (vs. a traditional deep tool box) makes it easier to see what is where in a jumble, as does the clear plastic top.

The organizers come with many small dividing cups, the majority of which I chucked as they did not accommodate some of the larger items I wanted to stow.

IMG_8592.JPG

The other advantage is that one can gang the boxes together with the integrated clips for consolidating mass and careful stowage, which may or may not be synonymous with "chucking 'em up in the V-berth." I'll probably add some labels at some point. Currently one for adhesives and lubricants, one for small electrical and fasteners, and one for tools.

IMG_8593.JPG

One other tool recommendation:

If you are new to soldering or poorly equipped to do it, tool-wise, the Plusivo Soldering Iron Kit from Amazon is an amazing deal for $32. Solder, iron, tape, flux soldering iron stand, decent multimeter, solder wick, electrical tape, etc. etc. etc. It had stuff I needed I didn't know I needed. It all zips up in the included handy carrying case.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Flat storage boxes are the ticket. They stack or even fit into the hull-side storage behind the bunks.

To keep tools flat I use fabric rollups which also fit in awkward spaces.

Nothing worse on a boat than a classic tool bag, which is midnight inside even at noon, or a square-cornered toolbox borrowed from the garage.

IMG_2206.JPG...IMG_0642.JPG

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Scenes like that first picture are why I decided that the boat needed a dedicated work bench. Although it is still awaiting a few finishing details.
The size and shape of the lockers on my boat are such that no off-the-shelf toolbox large enough to be worthwhile would actually fit in any of them. I did have a rectangular toolbox with drawers that lived at one end of the starboard settee for a while, but that is such a comfortable bunk that I didn't want to shorten it. Or have it covered with opened tool rolls all the time!

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I'm sticking with a couple tool bags despite the darkness. I try not to put sharp things inside - I'd run out of Band-Aids. I like clear plastic adjustable compartmented boxes from Spiderwire for small parts of all kinds, and clear plastic shoe box type spares containers. There's also the obligatory drawer of larger rigging items such as snatch blocks and spare shackles. Multiple smaller containers are easier to squirrel away in our storage spaces.