bowsprit and genaker 35-2

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Racing or Cruising?

The 35-2 does very well with A-sails, and while a sprit will be cool, many racers fly them from the spinnaker pole, which has the benefit of being about to be pulled aft for sailing at deeper angles.

If you build and use a sprit, it will be great for closer sailing angles (down to about 120 AWA in lighter air and maybe 150 AWA in bigger breeze) but significantly worse than a sym kite on a pole as the breeze goes aft. The reasons being that a). you won't be able to project the sail in front of the boat with a sprit and b). being a relatively heavy (by todays standards) boat, it does not go much faster on hotter angles than it would with a projected downwind designed spinnaker. Generally speaking not enough faster to make up for the extra distance and extra gybes the way modern sprit boat would, except maybe in very light breezes. If mainly or only cruisng this is not a big deal

This is a bigger dicussion and the answers depend greatly on the type of sailing you are doing. If you can let us know whether you are racing or cruising and some details on the sail inventory I can be more specific. Details please

Cheers

craigtilson

35-2

The 35-2 does very well with A-sails, and while a sprit will be cool, many racers fly them from the spinnaker pole, which has the benefit of being about to be pulled aft for sailing at deeper angles.

If you build and use a sprit, it will be great for closer sailing angles (down to about 120 AWA in lighter air and maybe 150 AWA in bigger breeze) but significantly worse than a sym kite on a pole as the breeze goes aft. The reasons being that a). you won't be able to project the sail in front of the boat with a sprit and b). being a relatively heavy (by todays standards) boat, it does not go much faster on hotter angles than it would with a projected downwind designed spinnaker. Generally speaking not enough faster to make up for the extra distance and extra gybes the way modern sprit boat would, except maybe in very light breezes. If mainly or only cruisng this is not a big deal

This is a bigger dicussion and the answers depend greatly on the type of sailing you are doing. If you can let us know whether you are racing or cruising and some details on the sail inventory I can be more specific. Details please

Cheers

i do both racing and cruising ... many times when i race i am short handed and the winds on the lake are very shifty ... sometimes up to 180 degrees with minimal warning
hence if i use a genaker that may have dual purpose

gadangit

Member III
i do both racing and cruising ... many times when i race i am short handed and the winds on the lake are very shifty ... sometimes up to 180 degrees with minimal warning

While not a E35, we too have this dilemma (E39). Our sail plan and inventory is based on cruising, I try real hard to not make decisions based on racing only. But for now we only race, go figure. Our local race committees have been good about making two PHRF Spin classes when they can, sprit and non-sprit. This usually gets all the current gen j-boats out of our class, but does put symmetrical kites in with us. Because we are typically doing pursuit or non W/L racing, we ride the fortunes of apparent wind angles. Our spinnaker is a general purpose asymmetrical, cut to perform from about 80-135 AWA. Any deeper than 150 and we have to gybe. Our boat is slightly unruly running downwind anyway, but there are times on light wind days when I wish we could go a little deeper to keep up with the sym boats.

So I've been thinking of going wing on wing while poling out the spinnaker. We've actually gybed the main once while flying the kite and just kept going. That got us a little deeper, but without the pole the kite was not helping much. Anybody have any thoughts on that strategy?

We too are short handed quite often, so we have a sock. With just a crew of 3, we can be just as competitive with fully crewed boats, we don't lose much time setting and dousing. And we can do it safely. I'm thinking of doing some single hand races flying the kite this year, still trying to figure some things out though.

Chris

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Wing and A-sail

In the right conditions, and especially for tactical reasons when nearing a mark, your boat should do pretty well VMG-wise by sailing deeper with the main and A-sail on opposite sides. It is likely better than trying to sail too deep with both sails on the same side.

Obviously to do a lot better when trying to sail deeper than about 135 AWA you would prefer either a running A-sail and/or a pole. LOTS of boats sail using A-sails out on a pole just like a sym kite, and if you have an A- sail designed for running it should be as fast or faster than a sym kite for the same AWA.

But, since you have these limitations, I would say use the "wing and wing" tool when it makes sense. It is especially good for digging down to get an inside overlap at a mark, but for longer periods you will need to keep track of VMG and decide if hotter angles and gybing more vs going deep and winging it out pays best. I imagine you will find wind speeds where one is better than the other and vice versa. Use the scientific method!

Cheers

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Sprit,A-sails and the 35-2

Sure. Adding a sprit will certainly make the gennaker fly better and open up more space between the kite and the mainsail (slot), which allows more air to move between the sails,which is faster, but you can do well flying the gennaker from the bow as you do now (I think you do). Bottom line is a sprit will help, and help that much more if you can also get more of an All Purpose A sail design so you be more effective at deeper angles. Comes down to cost/benefit. Break Out Another Thousand!

S