Blistering - dealbreaker or nah?

SteveOO

Member I
I’m looking at a 1980 38 footer for sale. It’s in generally good shape, but there are fairly large blisters on the hull. I’ve read a lot of conflicting opinions on if blisters ever actually a potential structural danger, or merely cosmetic (meaning they don’t penetrate the woven fibers because that layer is inert, and gel coat and mat layer intrusions don’t actually affect structural integrity). The survey notes these blisters, but they aren’t mentioned in the corrective action section. Same goes for a spliced mast with rivets. I’ve lived and worked on commercial fishing boats for years, but am a first time sailboat buyer, so I’m not sure how big of red flags these 2 issues may be. The boat valuation is $36k on the low end (per the survey) and it’s listed at $28k, so I am willing to spend $5k or a bit more on initial repairs (not counting ongoing maintenance of a 40 yr old boat). IMG_0811.jpeg

Slick470

Member III
I don't think there has ever been a case of a boat sinking due to blisters, (especially on a solidly glassed hull). Most of the arguments I've seen are on the proper way to "fix" the problem. For me that comes down to personal preference. You could do the full on professional fix to nothing or anything in between. If you do nothing, the boat will be heavier and maybe a bit slower, and you'll be the "blister boat" every time you are hauled out, but mainly it will continue to affect resale. You also don't need to do anything immediately. It's a slow process, so if you decided to wait a season or two before you decided to tackle the problem in you preferred manner, it won't get that much worse.

If the boat is otherwise well maintained, it's a boat you want, and if the price is right, then I don't see an issue with buying a boat with blisters. In fact, I did buy a boat with blisters for a decently reduced price, sailed it for a few years and then spent a season dealing with it in the way that was right for me.

Last edited:

SteveOO

Member I
Thanks for the reply and perspective. After hours of reasearch, this is how I’m feeling about the situation. Particularly because it’s a solid glass hull.

Slick470

Member III
I also just caught the bit on the spliced mast. I know that they are somewhat common, but I'd want a rigger that I trust to take a look before I went down that path. These boats are getting old and rigging parts are getting harder to find, so I wouldn't want to buy a boat and then realize I need to replace the stick.

e38 owner

Member III
I have hull 30 a 1981. It has had a little blistering over the years. I live where the boat comes out for the winter. So several years ago I drained them in the fall and filled them and have several coats of barrier in the spring . They have not returned. I do not think our mast was spliced, I am curious about that. There is a sj34 right next to me same vintage. Spliced mast. Was originally that way for shipping etc. I would guess the splice is the strongest place on the mast. I have replaced the standing rigging, floor etc. Everything is big money now days and i do a lot of DIY. Great Boat

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
I suggest you watch this youtube video:
500 ROTTEN, FESTERING Blisters!! - Blister Repair on a Fiberglass Sail boat!

Patrick Childress was a renown sailor, his videos are excellent resources for all sailors

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
Blisters are not a big problem and can be fixed. I passed on a really well kept boat with a spliced mast. In retrospect, I think that was a mistake. The mast was spliced below deck and was really well done. I had just never heard or seen a spliced mast. If the splice is done correctly, I would still consider it for purchase. That is unless something better comes along. You never know! Some of the best boat buys that I have seen, including the one mentioned above, have been from members of a yacht club.

Slick470

Member III
My understanding is Patrick's blister problem was a somewhat common problem with Valiants of that vintage and a much worse problem than what is usually seen on Ericsons. But, his video shows a pretty extreme blistering problem that was still fixable. A lot of work, but fixable.

Blisters are not a big problem and can be fixed. I passed on a really well kept boat with a spliced mast. In retrospect, I think that was a mistake. The mast was spliced below deck and was really well done. I had just never heard or seen a spliced mast. If the splice is done correctly, I would still consider it for purchase. That is unless something better comes along. You never know! Some of the best boat buys that I have seen, including the one mentioned above, have been from members of a yacht club.
Thanks for this response G. I had not heard of a mast splice either and that would've been my reservation over the blisters as well.

Pete the Cat

Sustaining Member
I agree that blisters are generally not a problem generally other than scaring off newbie buyers and dubiously qualified surveyors--of which there seemingly many these days. As mentioned you can work on these at your leisure over time if you want to see them disappear. Once caution: Do not put a barrier coat on a hull that is wet--and most yards seem to ignore this. I got a heck of a good bargain on a boat that a well known yard had "barrier coated' when the hull had not thoroughly dried because the coating created thousands of tiny blisters. Most blisters are between the gelcoat and the substrate and are completely harmless. And they will not perceptably slow you down.

SteveOO

Member I
Thanks all for the responses! Sounds like the general consensus is that blisters aren’t a catastrophe on these hulls.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Reminds me of the general learning curve with boats. Advice gets passed down, like: silicone is bad, brass is bad, blisters are bad. Much of that is based on the lack of a fuller understanding. I.e.,

- Silicone is bad for gelcoated surfaces as it impregnates the gelcoat and can never be fully removed. But silicone is great for glass and many plastics.

- Brass is bad when used in direct connection with more noble metals in the presences of an electrolyte. Brass by itself, even in saltwater, is fine.

- Blisters that penetrate deep into a FRP hull can be damaging, especially in wood-cored hulls. Blisters between the gelcoat and FRP, apparently, are harmless.

patrscoe

Member III
Steve,
I purchased a S2 11.0a about 14 yrs ago that had micro-pox throughout the bottom of the hull. I recieved quotes from boatyards from $5k to $8k and I ended up performing the work myself. It costs me just over $2k all in but it was hard work. I started sanding the entire bottom of the hull and I finally hired someone to soda blast the bottom which I wish I did that from the beginning. Besides that, grinding out the blisters with a round bit, filling / fairing them out and then applying 5 plus barrier coats / bottom paint at the end was not hard just time consuming. I did not see any blisters come back and when I sold her, I felt comfortable that it was performed well and done properly. Also it was a good time to deal with any through-hulls and maybe any fairing you want done.
If it was me and I wanted the sailboat, and the seller is willing to reduce the costs based on the work needed, I would not hestitate to purchase the sailboat, as long there are no other major issues because too many projects can be taxing on your time and wallet.

Good luck.

SteveOO

Member I
Steve,
I purchased a S2 11.0a about 14 yrs ago that had micro-pox throughout the bottom of the hull. I recieved quotes from boatyards from $5k to $8k and I ended up performing the work myself. It costs me just over $2k all in but it was hard work. I started sanding the entire bottom of the hull and I finally hired someone to soda blast the bottom which I wish I did that from the beginning. Besides that, grinding out the blisters with a round bit, filling / fairing them out and then applying 5 plus barrier coats / bottom paint at the end was not hard just time consuming. I did not see any blisters come back and when I sold her, I felt comfortable that it was performed well and done properly. Also it was a good time to deal with any through-hulls and maybe any fairing you want done.
If it was me and I wanted the sailboat, and the seller is willing to reduce the costs based on the work needed, I would not hestitate to purchase the sailboat, as long there are no other major issues because too many projects can be taxing on your time and wallet.

Good luck.
Thanks for that info, good to know. Yeah I’m currently figuring I’ll get into this project next year and plan on a lot of labor and just a few thousand in expenses unless it’s much worse than it seems.

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
Freyja had similar blisters on survey. I had a contractor peel the outer layers of glass, leave the lower layers six weeks to dry (San Diego is good for that), and then lay new glass. I had no subsequent problems.

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

SteveOO

Member I
Thanks for sharing Gareth. So was the existing woven glass damaged, or it was just stripped to there? I’m under the impression there’s very little evidence of blisters damaging the structural woven layers.