bleeding the engine: caveats

Pete the Cat

Member III
This has probably been covered somewhere, but I could not find it. I have been the emergency diesel mechanic for my dock and sometimes for others in my cruising years. I recently changed the fuel filters and thought it might be helpful to remind folks of some fairly simple steps make the process easier. Here are some suggestions earned from the mechanics school of failed efforts:
1. Do are really need to change the filters? I note that some folks and some yards suggest changing filters annually no matter what. I would respectfully disagree. Clean fuel is really important but if your primary Racor is showing dirt or water annually, I suggest you have a problem in your tank that needs attention--and soon--- keeping your tank clean is possible and fairly easy--a dirty tank could overwhelm your filters no matter how recently you have changed them--(learned on a deliverly trip across the Bay of Fundy--changing filters in a seaway is no fun--the owner had fortunately a case of them on board-that should have forewarned me). I recall the Yanmar service manual (there is a reason new engines are sold with Racor systems as part of the installation) says that you should change filters every 300 hours or when the engine stops (!). I have a Tartan 37 I have sailed for 32 years (about 100 hours a year--except for some long cruises) and change them every 3 years or if I see any gunk at all in the Racor drain. I keep my tank as full as possible, use biocide, change the fill O ring regularly, and check the tank for water and dirt annually--and I attribute my not having problems with my own boats to these efforts.
2. Before you start changing filters, be sure to turn off the fuel line between the filter and the tank. If you do not, the fuel will run back into the tank and you will create air in the line that can create a need for excessive bleeding efforts. Generally, I do not have to bleed anything with Yanmar or Universal/Westerbeke if I remember to turn off the feed line before starting.
3. Change the primary filter first and do the secondary at a later time if you can. The reason is that you might introduce dirt and excessive air with the changing of the filters and the secondary can catch this. I know there is controversy about this, but generally a 10 micron Racor (24T) is considered by Yanmar and my mechanics as a good primary mesh. Using a 2 micron Racor can strain the pumps over time, and your secondary filter is generally in the 2-5 micron range and will keep your injector pump clean.
4. Clean the Racor bowl and fill the filter with clean fuel to the brim before reinstalling. This will save bleeding. Be as clean as possible, but understand that if you are changing the primary and secondary at different times, the secondary will prevent dirt from getting into your injector pump.
5. Then fill and change the secondary filter at a later date after the engine has run at least a half hour or longer. The idea is to ensure you have not introduced dirt or a lot of air into the system. My experience is that there is no need to bleed in any engine I have worked on when using this two step process. The yard mechanics obviously cannot take the time to do it this way and you should know how to bleed your engine in an emergency. I hate bleeding if it can be avoided.
6. Bleeding problems: My experience is that if the engine will start but runs very badly, it has air in one of the injector lines. Turning bleeding screws on the pump will not solve this problem. I generally let the engine run badly for a few minutes and it may straighten out on its own. Otherwise, there is air in the line between the injector pump and an injector. You can loosen the screw on the top of each injector while the engine is running (badly) to look for bubbles and the engine will start running right or get worse. If you see bubbles of air you found the problem. If the engine gets worse or stops--you have not found the right injector line yet, but it ain't this one.
Many of the Yanmars are self bleeding--whatever that means. I really think that they are much the same as any other engine, they just guide you through this process and tiresome bleeding is rarely needed if you are careful. Except when I have had to replace an injector pump or a whole system, I do not recall a time when I actually had to aggressively bleed a small diesel. I am not a professional mechanic, but have rebuilt and installed a few engines and maintained several through years of cruising, so I will accept any correction from anyone with more professional background. I just thought I would pass this along FWIW. I would like to have known this about 50 years ago. I have lost a lot of skin and blood reaching for those bleeding screws. And I think most of that could have been avoided.

jtsai

Member III
Great information from years of experience. I may also add that Racor sells seal service kit, and it is not a bad idea to refurbish the unit if you don't know when was the last time it has been refurbished. The check valve seal in my Racor was deteriorated and took me almost a year to discover it was the cause of the engine losing its prime after the boat sat unused for a few weeks.

southofvictor

Member III
Blogs Author
Great post, thanks for sharing! I’ve been thinking of upgrading to a Racor 500 from our existing spin-on primary filter. I’m debating a dual vs single as long as I can find the room. Do you think a dual manifold is worth it (assuming I can even fit it) or is it overkill?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I’ve been thinking of upgrading to a Racor 500
I have a blog entry about doing that change/upgrade. As you note, finding room for one or perhaps two of those with a manifold may be a challenge. In our smaller boat I moved the Racor 500 (and the lift pump) out of the actual engine compartment.

Pete the Cat

Member III
Great post, thanks for sharing! I’ve been thinking of upgrading to a Racor 500 from our existing spin-on primary filter. I’m debating a dual vs single as long as I can find the room. Do you think a dual manifold is worth it (assuming I can even fit it) or is it overkill?
I think a double Racor is overkill. It would make sense on a very large vessel with big engines that use a lot of fuel. Main issue is to keep your tank clean and that is not hard if you keep it full as much as possible, keep the cap tight with a good O ring and check the tank annually for water and dirt at its lowest point. I do not see the point in going to a 500--while the elements are cheaper, it does not seem worth the expense. I have had both on boats and I am not sure what problem a 500 series would solve.

Pete the Cat

Member III
Big Confession: Today I had to bleed my 25XP after a secondary filter change--after suggesting this is not needed. Although I have done it before on this engine without bleeding, I must have slopped the filled filter a bit when installing the new one. It is devilishly hard to get the secondary filter reinstalled on my boat without tipping some of the fuel out. Having said that, the bleeding was a short effort. I should amend my instructions to suggest that the process I recommended will minimize, but may not always eliminate, bleeding. There. I hope I have re established my integrity. Those of you with most Yanmars and some models of Universal are built to be "self bleeding" but avoiding all bleeding with others may not always work.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I like the 500 series, although it's bigger. I'd have had no problem with the 200 Racors if there had been a convenient placement possible in the 32-3.

Mine was below engine level, devilish awkward, required lowering a filled canister while also keeping a dozen plates spinning on sticks (reference is to the Ed Sullivan Show), and changing filters no fun. Had it been where my current filter is, a 200 might have been fine.

I agree two filters is overkill. The 500 is just easier to deal with, if you have the room.

Oh, and regarding bleeding--the PO installed an electric fuel pump to pressurize the system when changing filters, even though the engine has a mechanical fuel pump. I don't think I have had to bleed yet, and the pump fills the Racor 500 quickly.

Racor 500 old filter.JPG...500 vs. 200...Thelonious Racor 2.JPG

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Is there something people don't like about the original Fram filters? A Napa 33110 (10 micron) filter insert is about $15. My Fram housing is going on 40 years old and it's never cracked or leaked like I hear some of the Racors are apparently prone to. I haven't had the mind to change it.

20161021_161504.jpg 20161102_123740.jpg
I have changed out that rusty old Facet pump, though. I also did a remote placement of the secondary fuel filter--it makes for much easier filter changes.
20200521_192940.jpg 20200521_193110.jpg

Last edited:

Bolo

Contributing Partner
I have this “Racor 500 upgrade” by vanilladuck on EYO bookmarked so that I can do the same upgrade on my E32 someday soon I hope. Gives a good solution IMO to relocating the filter in a E32-3 engine bay to a more accessible location. Thanks vanilladuck!