Are you a cranky sailor?

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
I think I am. I treasure the rolling text conversation I have with my three siblings and their spouses. When my family (all in the Midwest) sends me special greetings, they are often in the form of a texted GIF with some sort of nautical reference. A recent one featured a sailboat, sunset in the background, and something about wishing me smooth sailing in life. I've learned to bite my tongue (or thumb, in this case) and not say, "Well, I usually don't want 'smooth' sailing. I'd rather have spirited." or "There's hardly any wind, he's reefed his main, and the jib is furled. What's up with that guy." In a generic sense, the artwork is typically attractive and the messages are vaguely inspirational and loving. My sister, wanting to get us something for the boat, sent a photo from a store of a plaque with a zen-ish "Go With the Waves." asking if we'd like it. I tried to demur as graciously as possible and we won't be getting it. Bullet dodged. But the fact that she asked tells me I have not succeeded in completely hiding my crankiness.
Confession time is over. Thank you.
Jeff

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Well, like, ya know, they are making an effort; they love you in spite of not totally understanding you.
I find that non sailors are often arm chair sailing romantics & have little/no idea of the as-lived pleasures of sailing or the whole lifestyle of boating. Artists and designers of greeting cards..... even less! :)
That said, the perfect blend of sea state and wind force for a day (or an hour) under sail is rather elusive... ! The one thing the newbie and the veteran can usually agree on is how nice it is to just be out on the water, leaving (most) stress behind. :egrin:

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Yes, hide it best you can. Also, endure being asked if you are "excited" about your new toothbrush/car/bathing suit/false teeth/Apple wristwatch. Do not try to explain that you are not an electrical circuit but a discerning person whose enthusiasms might possibly be private, and that confession without torture is icky.

Personally I have trained myself not to feel human emotions, and I recommend it to everybody.

New grandchild arrived yesterday, really putting all this to the test. Of course I'm excited but still, not a Mylar balloon with a happy face.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
I think I am. I treasure the rolling text conversation I have with my three siblings and their spouses. When my family (all in the Midwest) sends me special greetings, they are often in the form of a texted GIF with some sort of nautical reference. A recent one featured a sailboat, sunset in the background, and something about wishing me smooth sailing in life. I've learned to bite my tongue (or thumb, in this case) and not say, "Well, I usually don't want 'smooth' sailing. I'd rather have spirited." or "There's hardly any wind, he's reefed his main, and the jib is furled. What's up with that guy." In a generic sense, the artwork is typically attractive and the messages are vaguely inspirational and loving. My sister, wanting to get us something for the boat, sent a photo from a store of a plaque with a zen-ish "Go With the Waves." asking if we'd like it. I tried to demur as graciously as possible and we won't be getting it. Bullet dodged. But the fact that she asked tells me I have not succeeded in completely hiding my crankiness.
Jeff
Well, let's just say that after he decided to prep for an impending storm by climbing his mast to tighten a PL-259 connector with a crescent wrench and then retreat below to shave, I was rooting for the demise of Robert Redford's dumb (in more than one sense) character in All is Lost.

This no doubt reflects badly on me--at least with some of my non-sailing friends, who thought the movie was swell and who were sure that I would think so, too. But I do take some solace in knowing that at least I'm not alone.

Last edited:

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
That was one very stupid movie!! (Robert Redford in All is Lost).
Frank
I love this comment that "Bob" made in the comments section of that article I posted from Latitude 38:

Bob 2 years ago
I am pretty sure the boat sunk because it couldn’t stand Redford's character at the helm anymore. The boat took its own life. ….boats don’t do that very often. Cal boats (the boat in the movie) tend to have a strong will to live. Must have been a horrible experience for that boat.

:p

gabriel

Live free or die hard
Yes, hide it best you can. Also, endure being asked if you are "excited" about your new toothbrush/car/bathing suit/false teeth/Apple wristwatch. Do not try to explain that you are not an electrical circuit but a discerning person whose enthusiasms might possibly be private, and that confession without torture is icky.

Personally I have trained myself not to feel human emotions, and I recommend it to everybody.

New grandchild arrived yesterday, really putting all this to the test. Of course I'm excited but still, not a Mylar balloon with a happy face.
Congratulations on the new grandchild, it’s a blessing.

bsangs

E35-3 - New Jersey
My sister, wanting to get us something for the boat, sent a photo from a store of a plaque with a zen-ish "Go With the Waves." asking if we'd like it. I tried to demur as graciously as possible and we won't be getting it. Bullet dodged. But the fact that she asked tells me I have not succeeded in completely hiding my crankiness.
Jeff

I've been asked by Admiral Crabby to let my family know, no more sailing-related gifts. So she holds that title. I'm the anxious one.

Congrats @Christian Williams. Hope the newborn doesn't mean you'll be spending less time on the water - or giving sage advice here - though.

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
Jeff,
As you know I sail alone. Alone in my thoughts, alone in the universe. Those experiences of solitude and oneness with nature I can not express or relate to my wife, neighbors, or friends. How could you?

So when I am presented with the nautical T-shirt, socks, pants, shorts, underwear,.... I say thank you and quietly place them in the back of the lowest cloths drawer and "forget" they even exist.

My remembrances are contained in a glass jar in my home office, to the right side of my desk. In it is beach sand, bits of grass, shells, rounded beach stones and a picture of my E-30 Discovery. Every once in awhile I pop the top and inhale the salty reminders of past experiences with the universe.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Jeff
I have to say that I don't really show my "cranky" side to my non-sailing friends and family but rather suffer in silence about it. Being associated with sailing has, as I'm sure you all are experiencing, tagged you as "the sailor" among your family, friends and business associates. We live in south central PA (near Hershey) and drive two hours to our boat in Annapolis. It might as well be on another planet. People here just don't understand sailing or realize how extensive the Chesapeake Bay truly is because they never go there. My non-sailing friends and family here in PA also have curious ideas about sailing and sailors. We vacation in Florida every year and get the question, "Are you going there in your sailboat? Or, "Are you trailing your boat down with you?" (We own a E32-3) Almost every time I go to have my hair cut at the salon that both my wife and I go to (I use to go to the barbershop but that's another story) the "stylist" Tracey who cuts my hair and then charges me a exorbitant amount of money (why I still go is yet another story) always asks me, "So how's the boat doing?", like it was some sort of living thing. I sometimes get the, "Well, those things can turn over, can't they?!" Almost every gift I receive has some sort of nautical theme to it. As an example, my birthday is in a few days and here is the card I received from one of my daughters today.

tempImagecgBOw9.jpg
Look carefully and you'll see the stick figure sailboat next to "Happy". There are other examples as well of course. Pillows, beach blankets, inspirational posters, tee shirts, underwear even...all with a sailboat someplace or at least a lighthouse and non of them see the light of day in my closet or have long since gone to Good Will. So, I'm pegged, just like an actor who played a certain character in a TV series for years and now is typed cast for life.

The curious thing is that sometimes when I receive a nautical themed anything the conversation would sometimes come around to me asking if the gift/card giver would like to experience sailing first hand. My purpose here is to maybe give them an idea of what it's really like to be on a sailboat, an experience that most people will never have. My question is often answered with a stuttering, "Well, I don't know! Maybe. I'll have to ask my husband what he thinks." It was if I was asking if I do do a sleep over at their place. Most of the people never take me up on the offer so I've stopped asking. Sometimes someone does say, "Gee I've never been on a sailboat before." In those case I respond with a low key, half-hearted "Well, just let me know when you might want to go." Wow! Maybe I am being a "cranky sailor" and have just realized it!

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Why's he shave?

Why does Robert Redford shave? Christian, of all the sailors on this web sight you have a better chance of finding the answer to that question than anyone of us. After all you are the "Hollywood writer", right? There must be someone there in the biz, that you know, who can answer the question! Maybe even Redford himself. :cool:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
He took the job as a prestige project in which he is alone and can inhabit a character all this own with nobody else in the way.

He was nominated as Best Actor by all the lesser awards, GG, SAG and so on. His stock went up. He didn't do it for money.

Tje movie rates 94th percentile on Rotten Tomatoes and Ebert called it proof Redford is one of "cinema's great actors." Almost all reviews were raves.

Movie made $13 mill against a production budget of $9 mill. Pea soup. Payment in prestige.

Sailors don't like it because it is inaccurate in the small things. No tech advisor I am told. UK rep here did the sails (torn, etc).

Redford is effective and easy to talk to, and actors have to do these things from time to time (because they have no soul?). The director, Chandor, made his mark with one of the most sophisticated and compelling finance movies in history, "Margin Call." Worth watching again.

"All is Lost" not worth watching the first time, if you ask me.

bsangs

E35-3 - New Jersey
Redford resides in the Critics-Proof Stratosphere with the likes of Hoffman, Tarrantino, Wes Andersen, Nolan, Dylan, Beyonce, Springsteen and McCartney. No matter how terrible or incoherent - looking at you Bobby D. - the material, critics almost always fawn over it.
He took the job as a prestige project in which he is alone and can inhabit a character all this own with nobody else in the way.

He was nominated as Best Actor by all the lesser awards, GG, SAG and so on. His stock went up. He didn't do it for money.

Tje movie rates 94th percentile on Rotten Tomatoes and Ebert called it proof Redford is one of "cinema's great actors." Almost all reviews were raves.

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
I don't know about you "Guys/Gals/Sailors", but on those occasions when I can escape from work early, I head out with my dress shoes, silk tie, and suit coat. My grande dame deserves appropriate apparel when we are out on a date.:)

Bolo

Contributing Partner
I don't know about you "Guys/Gals/Sailors", but on those occasions when I can escape from work early, I head out with my dress shoes, silk tie, and suit coat. My grande dame deserves appropriate apparel when we are out on a date.:)
YOU SAIL IN A SUIT??!! I never had that ”problem” because my job attire was mostly jeans and a tee shirt or a flannel one in the winter. I was a professional photographer and never wore a suite even on sales calls or at pre-production meetings. Didn’t even wear socks for that matter. It was almost expected since I was expected to look “artsy” and the creative, non-conformist type. For awhile I even had my long hair in a ponytail. It’s short and gray now. Since I retired my daily attire has hardly changed at all and is the same when I get on board expect for wearing shorts in hot humid weather.

Bolo

Contributing Partner

Movie made $13 mill against a production budget of $9 mill. Pea soup. Payment in prestige.

Sailors don't like it because it is inaccurate in the small things. No tech advisor I am told. UK rep here did the sails (torn, etc).

Redford is effective and easy to talk to, and actors have to do these things from time to time (because they have no soul?). The director, Chandor, made his mark with one of the most sophisticated and compelling finance movies in history, "Margin Call." Worth watching again.

"All is Lost" not worth watching the first time, if you ask me.
I think Harrison Ford should do a sailing movie. It could be called, “Search for the Holy Sail”. (Oh!! I’m sorry that was really a bad joke.)

debonAir

Member III
"Gee I've never been on a sailboat before."
Those were the exact and only words of my first reluctant passenger. On the college sailing team we shared the Charles river (Boston) with all the other college's rowing teams. In a dinghy as skipper I'm paying super close attention to the race competition when my dinghy just stopped and my crew lurched forward. Like we hit a rock. Looking to windward I saw 1/2 of a wood rowing shell sticking up a bit out of the water. Looking to leeward was the exact same sight. Yikes. Eventually looking down I see the poor rower sculling water looking a bit dazed. We helped him in to our flying junior and that was all he had to say till we got him to land.