Anti-fouling prop - sugguestions?

patrscoe

Member III
This winter, I upgraded my standard 2 blade fixed prop with a Flexofold prop. I posted some issues I had that contributed to additional drag and lack of power / drive due to barnacle build up. I am going to make it as a routine maintenance to dive and clean the prop every 2 to 3 months, especially mid summer to the late fall.

Currently I use (2) coats of Pettit Barnacle Barrier, which is a Zinc coating product. I sail in brackish waters.
I am thinking of changing to a epoxy barrier coat on the new folding prop and apply a hard paint - Truiux 33 over that but I have read that it is not better than the Pettit barrier zinc and will take a lot more time and costs.

Any opinions on what you are using and what you thinks works and does not work?

Bolo

Contributing Partner
This winter, I upgraded my standard 2 blade fixed prop with a Flexofold prop. I posted some issues I had that contributed to additional drag and lack of power / drive due to barnacle build up. I am going to make it as a routine maintenance to dive and clean the prop every 2 to 3 months, especially mid summer to the late fall.

Currently I use (2) coats of Pettit Barnacle Barrier, which is a Zinc coating product. I sail in brackish waters.
I am thinking of changing to a epoxy barrier coat on the new folding prop and apply a hard paint - Truiux 33 over that but I have read that it is not better than the Pettit barrier zinc and will take a lot more time and costs.

Any opinions on what you are using and what you thinks works and does not work?
Patrick, Being a Chesapeake sailor myself I’m very familiar with the barnacle problem and dealt with it for years before discovering “Propspeed”.

I've attached a photo of the prop area on my E32-3 taken just after my boat was hauled for the winter which I do every other year for bottom work and inspection below the water line. It had been power washed, before the photo was taken, but as you know most barnacles just laugh at power washing. You can see there is some growth on the prop and shaft but not much. In the past I used ablative bottom paint on the prop but since it was moving through the water far faster then the hull the paint wore off much quicker allowing for growth. (Duh!)

Propspeed makes the metal surfaces very slippy so attachment by marine life is difficult but it's hard and does not wear off very easily as is the case with traditional bottom paint. I think the small kit will probably do the trick for you which you can purchase though West Marine or Defender (a little cheaper). The stuff is not cheap, around $300 for the small kit but it does work and considering the price of a Flexfold prop maybe the extra investment is worth it? Because of my distance from the boat, my years and being fortunate enough to be able to pay someone else to do the work, I have my marina (Port Annapolis) do the prep and apply the stuff. There is a process of wet sanding the surfaces and carefully mixing the Propspeed that must be followed in order for it to work properly and for up to two years. The Propspeed web site has a wealth of information about it's application and use, including videos. As you can see from my photos, two years is definitely achievable. Other then that possible a harder bottom paint would do too but I can't speak to that since I've never tried it.

Attachments

• IMG_1563.jpeg
    IMG_1563.jpeg
    306.9 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

patrscoe

Member III
That was on my shortlist. Propspeed and perhaps applying barrier coat and hard bottom paint.
Reading reviews online is hopeless. One person says one works great and another says it does not work at all.
I think I am going to try the DIY propspeed kit and follow the instructions to a key.

p.gazibara

Member III
Prop speed is the go-to product here in NZ. I have had pretty good success with standard white lithium grease. I just smear it on during the haulout. Every now and then I have to go down and clean barnacles if I don’t use the boat very often, but I haven’t had that issue in a while.

My two bladed maxprop is very sensitive to growth on the prop and will not provide very much thrust if it’s covered in growth.

You could probably reapply the grease underwater every 6 months or so, but I have never tried. We typically haul out every 2-3 years.

We have probably motored a collective 50nm since departing Seattle in 2017 and sailed over 15k. Maybe that’s why the grease stays on so long.

-p

frick

Member III
I was my local hardware store. They had a rattle car of zinc spay paint. It had twice the zinc of the marine products.

It was only 6 dollars a can. Used it for years with good protection