Anchor Suggestions

Chschaus

"Voila"
While at anchor this weekend, a 30+ foot sport fisher ran over and cut our anchor line! Always fun to be awakened in the middle of the night adrift. Unfortunately, we couldn't make out the name on the boat. Anyway, we had a QCR and in my little bit of research this morning, I have seen the Delta Plow is a better holding anchor. I would love to get some input from this forum's vast wealth of knowledge. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

bsangs

E35-3 - New Jersey
While at anchor this weekend, a 30+ foot sport fisher ran over and cut our anchor line! Always fun to be awakened in the middle of the night adrift. Unfortunately, we couldn't make out the name on the boat. Anyway, we had a QCR and in my little bit of research this morning, I have seen the Delta Plow is a better holding anchor. I would love to get some input from this forum's vast wealth of knowledge. Any input will be greatly appreciated.
We have a Delta plow and have been very happy with it so far (knock wood).

Teranodon

Member III
If you have to get a new anchor, I say go for the Rocna. It really is a very good anchor, even if you only believe half of the advertising hype ("hold onto something for when it suddenly sets"). One thing you might want to do (I did this) is make a 1:1 mockup out of cardboard and fit it on your roller. The shape of the Rocna is a little special. The web site has drawings and dimensions.

jtsai

Member III
My experience with Rocna is on the Pamlico and Chesapeake sounds; mostly mud and probably some grass (too muddy to see). I spent about 40+ nights at anchor and the 15 kg model performed extremely well. I wish the Harken roller furling drum was installed a tad higher to clear the Rocna "hump". I had to guide it so it won't hit the base of the drum too hard. If you can borrow one, test deploy/retrieval at the slip to be sure.

nquigley

Sustaining Member
I got a Vulcan, and like it very much. It's made by Rocna - has a curved shaft and no roll-bar. I could not fit a Rocna's shaft between my roller and chain-lock, so had to get the Vulcan of the same weight (33lb), which fits well.
Whatever design you get, remember to go up a size from the minimum size you calculate you need - you won't regret doing so when it's blowing dogs off leashes.