Guest viewing is limited
  • Untitled Document

Join us on May 31st, 7pm EDT

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

May Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

adjusting wheel to center

oldfauser

Member III
We just finished reinstalling the rudder; re-assembled the steering quadrant; attached the cables; adjusted the cables. I now find that our "centering" knot on out wheel is slightly off center (not by much - but enough to drive me nuts!) . Is there an easy adjustment to center it or do we have to "play" with the cable adjustment some more?

just wondering...

thanks in advance!

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Art,

Pretty sure it will be cable adjustment. The wheel shaft should have a key way so that position is locked in.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Imperfection

You will need to crawl back so that you can get up close and personal with the little turn buckles that adjust each side of the cable where it is attached to the quadrant. The adjusting part is relatively easy as long as you can keep track on exactly where the quadrant needs to be when straight ahead. The difference might be a couple of degrees.
Ideally someone will be sitting at the wheel as you do this work and you can communicate with each other.
Christian probably has the best take on it... and also just move the knot or whatever you use for 'straight ahead' from a spoke to the wheel rim itself.
After I re-bushed the sheaves under the pedestal, which required taking both cables completely loose, I did not get the "king spoke" quite centered again. I declined not to return to the nether regions of the stern any more times and just live with the slight off-center of the marking on a spoke.
Laziness. Sloth. Whatever. :rolleyes:

oldfauser

Member III
last attempt...

what I'm thinking is:

1) loosen steering cables
2) clamp rudder to skeg
3) center wheel and use brake to hold it centered
4) adjust steering cable "one last time"

sound like a plan?

kapnkd

kapnkd
We just finished reinstalling the rudder; re-assembled the steering quadrant; attached the cables; adjusted the cables. I now find that our "centering" knot on out wheel is slightly off center (not by much - but enough to drive me nuts!) . Is there an easy adjustment to center it or do we have to "play" with the cable adjustment some more?

just wondering...

thanks in advance!

In reading all of the GREAT and EXPERIENCED advice sent to you, ...you should be able to resolve your wheel alignment issues easily.

The ONLY thing missing I can ad for you to possibly save a little time - smear some dirty grease on you hands (almost up to your elbows), then dab some on your nose, forehead or whatever else part may itch at the worst (Murphy's Law) possible time. It IS indeed a messy job in a very compact and restricted area! By doing this, the "Wheel Alignment gods" may just take a bit of pity on you.

My point being - DO keep a sense of humor about it along with your patience in resolving this or any OTHER issue related to boat maintenance and things seem to flow more easily. I can't even count the number of times I've encountered these issues and more in the 45 years I've owned "CaryOn". :rolleyes: Besides, they always make for good shared cocktail stories in the club house when with fellow boaters. Our club even has an "Old Shoe" award consisting of a severly beat up bronzed boat shoe for the worst experience of the season for us.

I've learned (the hard way) over the years that by also applying a bit of humor to difficult situations ALWAYS triumphs over frustration and even fear. :) ...NOT that you personally seemed frustrated by it all.

Fair Winds!!
kerry

alcodiesel

Bill McLean
I see it as a lesson in acceptance. It works. It's safe. I go for 85 to 90% on my boat. Gives me lots more sailing (or napping) time. I wish you success.

Joliba

1988 E38-200 Contributing Member
Years ago, as a gift, a good friend wrapped and wove our wheel all the way around it’s circumference with a fancy decorative line for a comfortable grip. It is finished with a Turk’s head to mark the centered rudder’s position. Unfortunately, it has never been right. I have learned to be Zen about some of my natural OCD and accept that the Turk’s head 5 degrees to starboard of the top means my rudder is centered.
Mike Jacker

oldfauser

Member III
Years ago, as a gift, a good friend wrapped and wove our wheel all the way around it’s circumference with a fancy decorative line for a comfortable grip. It is finished with a Turk’s head to mark the centered rudder’s position. Unfortunately, it has never been right. I have learned to be Zen about some of my natural OCD and accept that the Turk’s head 5 degrees to starboard of the top means my rudder is centered.
Mike Jacker

I normally would just accept the slight off-center of the Turk's head... If I had not just spend the last month having "fun" fitting the new folding prop... I'll give it a "go" to see if I can make it worse!!! (just kidding).

I do appreciate the suggestions :egrin:

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
My first mate sewed a nice leather cover on our wheel with a leather piece indicating center. It’s off just a little but so am I!