5416 valve adjustment

gryf

1981 E30+ Lake Ontario
Hi, I am looking to do a valve adjustment on my 5416 Universal. The manual states that one needs to be able to manually turn the engine over. Unfortunately I do not have a crank for this. Has anyone used some other method to do this without damaging the splines on the crankshaft?

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
You should be able to hold open the decompression lever with a rubber band or zip tie which should allow you to rotate the pulleys by hand.

gryf

1981 E30+ Lake Ontario
Not sure that would work in this case as the valve cover would have to be in place. I suppose it could work if the flywheel marker could be seen. I am still trying to figure out where the flywheel marker inspection port is on the 5416. Has anyone here on the forum actually used that inspection port for valve adjustment?

ConchyDug

Member III
A large pipe wrench works for turning the crankshaft and is needed to adjust valves accurately. You will not accidentally fire off the engine turning the crank by hand. With the valve cover off you can watch the valve rockers to determine TDC, it's when both intake and exhaust are both slack. It sounds like you might be familiar with adjusting valves but just in case when using feeler gauges you aren't pinching them between the valve head and rocker. You want a little friction when sliding the feeler gauge, but nothing too crazy.