35-3 cockpit traveler

ChrisInMaine

Member II
I recently started racing our 35-3 (Woodpecker) and was pleasntly suprised to find that she really is a fantastic racer.

My one gripe is the mainsheet assembly and traveler. Sheeting with a winch on the cabintop is untenable, and the location of the traveler so far forward really limits its usefulness. And don't get me started on the mainsheet setup in general - the way it pulls the boom down and flattens out the sail is terrible in light air.

Still, a big advantage of all this is that it keeps that fantastic cockpit clear...

Someone recently suggested a removable traveler that would slide in just forward of the binnacle. It wouldn't replace the factory setup (which we'd still keep around for crusing) but could be dropped in there during a race or when the need for better performance outweighed the need for comfort.

Does anyone have any experience with this mod on another E-35 or similar vessel?

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Someone will have to explain the 35-3 problem for me.

In light air to windward I would think you'd move the traveler car up above mid-traveler, then tension the main sheet allow the boom to lift to obtain twist at the top batten. Mid-boom sheeting shouldn't be a detriment.

End boom sheeting does control the leech better to windward, since booms tend to bend. But it's a pain in the butt off the wind, with long mainsheet doing nothing to help.

I have fairly long control lines on my traveler. It is easy to stand in mid-cockpit, flick one control line out of its cam cleat, and trim the car uphill with the other. Racers who make a lot of traveler adjustments, usually as a dedicated crew assignment, have found other ways to route the control lines so the traveler guy can do his work.

But perhaps I misunderstand the sail control issue on your boat.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Don't underestimate the effect or replacing any remaining OEM Lewmar solid axle blocks with new ball bearing ones from Garhauer, or Harken.

ChrisInMaine

Member II
Someone will have to explain the 35-3 problem for me.

In light air to windward I would think you'd move the traveler car up above mid-traveler, then tension the main sheet allow the boom to lift to obtain twist at the top batten. Mid-boom sheeting shouldn't be a detriment.

End boom sheeting does control the leech better to windward, since booms tend to bend. But it's a pain in the butt off the wind, with long mainsheet doing nothing to help.

I have fairly long control lines on my traveler. It is easy to stand in mid-cockpit, flick one control line out of its cam cleat, and trim the car uphill with the other. Racers who make a lot of traveler adjustments, usually as a dedicated crew assignment, have found other ways to route the control lines so the traveler guy can do his work.

But perhaps I misunderstand the sail control issue on your boat.

I have found that moving the traveler to windward does help in light air. As for adjusting the traveler, that's a whole other issue because the traveler lines route through slits in the dodger which makes it difficult to flick them out of the cams. I guess that's the other issue with the traveler placement: without that dodger in the way it might be easier to manage.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Replaced all running rigging this year. The previous owner seemed to have little faith in the strength of poly line and had sized everything 1/8 - 1/4 too big. You literally couldn't move the traveler before that with all the extra friction.
Agree! As of this spring there's hardly a line left in our running rig ensemble that's over 5/16.