32-200 Bilge Wiring

SRoyall

Old to Sailing - new to my Ericson 32-200
Hi, I did search and did not find anything on this topic, if there is something, please point me to it.

Is anyone aware of a good drawing / photos of how the bilge should be wired? I just purchased a 1988 32-200 and the bilge (main bilge) does not appear to be hard wired to the house battery. Has anyone replace the original system (float in bilge hold and pump at engine compartment) with a newer pump with float in the bilge hold?

Thanks
Steve

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The -200 may be a little different. but here's my thinking on the issue:

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Here are two blog posts I did about re-wiring my 32-3 bilge pumps.

To my knowledge, the E32s never came with auto bilge pumps hardwired to a battery--they always required that the Main Battery switch be turned ON.

Last edited:

peaman

Sustaining Member
To my knowledge, the E32s never came with auto bilge pumps hardwired to a battery--they always required that the Main Battery switch be turned ON.
So apparently, a previous owner fixed this on my boat. Power from a battery terminal is wired directly through the float switch. The Bilge Pump circuit breaker powers the pump directly (bypassing the float). So I can run it manually at any time. The breaker panel pilot light comes on when the pump runs, either auto through the float switch, or manually by flipping the breaker on.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Please note that, while there are compelling reasons to wire some things directly to a battery, it has always been a risky choice compared to wiring to the panel where the circuit breakers can protect the wiring further on.
ABYC requires fusing within X inches of the battery terminal, and Blue Seas makes a well-designed little fuse holder just for this.
After all, there are, nowadays, a multitude of electronics, specifically battery sensing devices that are mean't to be wired direct to a batt. terminal.

I have kept the conservative wiring scheme from EY, and both of our bilge pumps are still powered thru the DC distribution panel breaker. FWIW, my surveyor likes that better, too.

Pete the Cat

Sustaining Member
I had to add an automatic bilge pump to my 32-200 and just ran a separate wire to the battery and put a fuse there. The big deal was running the discharge hose as the PO had run a hose to the galley sink. I ran a hose along under the oven and aft cabin locker then along the fuel tank and to the aft thru hull fitting for the other bilge pumps. Wiring followed the same route. I have no idea what Ericson was thinking by not providing an automatic bilge pump with direct wiring to the battery and its own "always on" circuit--unless the PO removed it. I like my Ericson but this is one of several design issues I have with them. Tartan and Sabre would not do this imho.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I have no idea what Ericson was thinking by not providing an automatic bilge pump with direct wiring to the battery and its own "always on" circuit--unless the PO removed it.
My boat was built out "stock" as a dealer stock/inventory boat, and then had some options added on at the last minute for a sudden buyer. From the looks of the wiring and hose runs, both of our electronic pumps were installed by EY. They both have separate thru hulls on the transom, and are obviously from the EY stock room.
I suppose the the dealer could have asked the factory to add one pump when they also increased the number and upsized the winches and changed it to wheel steering, tho. (?)

Pete the Cat

Sustaining Member
What is interesting on my 32-200 is that there is a shower sump displacement pump that is automatic and a non automatic displacement bilge pump that were apparently factory installed. I found no indication that an automatic bilge pump actually came with the boat from the factory. The PO could have removed it or modified something--but it actually suprised me.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
What is interesting on my 32-200 is that there is a shower sump displacement pump that is automatic and a non automatic displacement bilge pump that were apparently factory installed. I found no indication that an automatic bilge pump actually came with the boat from the factory. The PO could have removed it or modified something--but it actually suprised me.
Both of our positive displacement pumps (Jabsco, $$$) came with float switches in the bilge. Being that they are "Rule" float switches, I have to replace them every 8 to 10 years whether they get used or not.... Rule= poor quality, IMHO.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
I have kept the conservative wiring scheme from EY, and both of our bilge pumps are still powered thru the DC distribution panel breaker.

I might add the .02 opinion that your approach may be more conservative ONLY if you've previously re-wired your OEM DC distribution panel and brought it up to modern standards.

Having yet to tackle a redo of my main DC panel, I'd argue it's likely more conservative to have a properly fused, gauged, terminated, and chafe protected bilge pump circuit wired directly to my house battery bank. The insides of these factory DC panels are known to be fraught with hazards-- I.e. the entire ground bus bar on mine was just GLUED to the panel back. I had to add a screw from the panel side to keep the whole bus bar from coming loose.

I know of no risks inherent to wiring a fused circuit directly to a battery (done properly). Could you elaborate on what you consider to be risky?

Also, I don't understand how one fully utilizes an auto bilge pump wired to the main DC panel. Seems like you'd either have to keep your entire panel energized at all times when away from the boat, or forego having auto pumping capability while away from the boat.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Since our bilge pump circuits (and our fridge) are powered all season, the "house" switch is normally 'on'.

The risk with having wiring directly to the battery is not likely what an educated owner/installed might do (proper size fuse/breaker within 8" of the battery for each circuit), but rather the legions of amateurs running a web of wiring to their batteries with no circuit protection at all. You are likely doing it safely, but you might also be in the minority. :)

BTW, our '88 Newmar panel is all-breakers, and passed a *current 2021 survey with no squawks . :)
Identical to the stock panel in the E-34-2, and the E-38-200, I believe.

Our OEM grounding strips are screwed to the panel behind the front, altho I did have to add another terminal strip for more neg. ground attachments, where the factory had doubled up some rings under the screws. I also added a long pos. terminal strip to combine some circuits before running a single wire to each controlling breaker.

And then, there is the primary reason for having many circuits lead to the main switch - in an emergency you need the assurance that turning off the switch has actually shut off the power.

*not a pun, but it could be!

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
The risk with having wiring directly to the battery is not likely what an educated owner/installed might do (proper size fuse/breaker within 8" of the battery for each circuit), but rather the legions of amateurs running a web of wiring to their batteries with no circuit protection at all.

Well, I agree with you there.

However, if the legions of amateurs are out there messing with wires, I'd still rather see them doing it with a single circuit in the bilge than behind a complex and already troublesome main DC panel!

goldenstate

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
My backup bilge pump is wired via an unswitched circuit from my house battery. I have a small fuse block in between to which the bilge pump, my stereo (for radio station pre-sets, stereo won’t work without this connection) and my engine compartment blower are attached.

In my case this wire and fuse block are located behind my dashboard (near the DC sub panel) but you could put it anywhere.

The DC panel with all the breakers is powered by a different circuit/wire from my 1-both-2 switch.