• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Motion Windows: Anyone know of them?

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
In my quest to refurbish or replace my portlights I came across this company that fabricates marine and RV windows. Does anyone know of them or have any experience with them?

I was thinking of sending them dimensions and having them give me a quote on their 1200 or 1250 fixed portlights.

http://www.motionwindows.com/prod1200.php

I am hoping to keep the shape of the original windows and these look like they are basically the same type of extrusion.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I just checked and this the company that built four new fixed ports for a friend's Cascade 36. Tempered glass and well-engineered looking frames.
He put them in this last summer so they have not yet had to withstand a winter... but I believe that they are leak-free in the fall rains so far.

If you want to communicate with my buddy, email me directly and I will put in touch.

Loren

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Thanks! I would like to find out what model number he chose (and why) and what the pricing was like.

My main concern (other than price!) is their ability to match the tight radiuses of the original windows. Their website mentions radiuses of 2 1/2" and 3" as standard, but I think the originals are tighter than that. I don't want to do major surgery for this project...

eknebel

Member III
I am also in the market for new windows on my 1980 E30+. Please keep us posted on how it works out. The finance committee says maybe in the spring, after the last kid is out of college!

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
I made some drawings using frames I got from another boat (same size) that I am planning to send to Motion Windows to see what they say.

I also found another manufacturer that might be a possibility:

http://www.usamarinewindows.com/

Not much info on their site but I may send the drawings to them as well.

toddbrsd

Ex-Viking, Now Native American
Mark,

Can you email me the sketch. I saw some (what appeared to be new) portlights at Minney's last week that looked like Ericson design. I am not in the market, but I would be happy to print/plot the template and take with me the next time I go there to see if they match. If they do, I can take some pictures and send them to you if you are interested. I usually go there every week or so. I am not sure if you remember me. I met you at Dans a few weeks back.

Last edited:

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
I do remember meeting you at Dan's. The drawings are full size (1:1 scale) so they are fairly large; about 28" wide by 15" tall. I was planning on taking them to Kinko's to copy them. If I can reduce them maybe I can scan them to PDF files.

If I am correct, the windows you saw at Minney's may be made by Lewmar. I have looked through those windows and hatches at Minney's a couple of times but never found what I was looking for; a Lewmar Ocean 70 hatch. The Lewmar windows are not the same size as the original Ericson windows and therefore require cutting and/or filling in of the cabin top.

The problem I have encountered with windows from parted-out boats is that they invariably have corrosion problems.

I will try to get the drawings copied tomorrow.

toddbrsd

Ex-Viking, Now Native American
Mark,

You are probably right about them being Lewmar, since they looked new and not from a parted out boat, but it can't hurt to verify. As long as you have some dimensions on the .pdf, I can "scale" them back up in AutoCAD and plot them at full size on our plotter at work. It will make it easier to compare the sketch direclty with what they have. If Kinkos can handle the full size sketch, it would be even more convenient to send me the .pdf at full size since I have access to a large plotter.

I PM'd you with my email address.

Last edited: