Questionable Vendor

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Most of the time sailors deal with lots of very conscientious small vendors. Indeed, even some seemingly-large company names are not very huge when/if you visit them.

We all often need a source for diesel (and A4) parts. I know that I am not the only saddened customer when John Featherman closed his business -- John was just a super guy to deal with.
So here is a long thread from another sailing site, albeit with some commentary from one of our own forum members too. A four year old thread, that is still going strong!
http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/11844-foley-engines.html

I have heard of this vendor, Foley, over the years and seen an ad somewhere. I really had no idea any business could behave so badly and survive in a niche market like ours.

It's indeed a funny world.
:rolleyes:
Loren

Last edited:

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Wow. Just read all those posts. Looked at their website, too. Quite a disparity!

Yeah, Featherman was the real deal. Knew his stuff and very helpful. I ordered a bunch of spares when he was shutting down. Wish I had bought the heat exchanger he had for the M18...

bayhoss

Member III
Wow! A real charmer. Not to hijack the thread - a good source for a HX for the Universal M-18 is Hale Marine - no connection, just a very satisfied customer who purchased a HX for my M12 from them.
Best,
Frank

Dave Hussey

Member III
...wow, I read the messages in the thread and I see a reality TV show in this..."Worcester Worst " ...kinda like the Orange County Chopper series...a disfunctional family business....

I think there is something in the water over there...years of mercury and arsinec being dumped in the rivers have caused poluted potable water...