crevice corrosion ... be careful !

Matey

Member III
Yesterday I removed the pretty decorative covers inside from my upper chain plates. I had pulled up all the chain plate covers on deck last week and scraped out the old sealant and dried the area some with a heat gun, before resealing (for now). It's my attempts at stopping any new moisture intrusion until summer when I plan to pull each of them out for proper repairs. After the covers were off inside I cleaned up some staining an pulled a couple bolts for inspection. They cleaned up pretty good actually ( pic 1 ) and the bulkhead inside the holes were dry. I then replaced the bolts and was in the process of snugging them up when I felt a pop ( pic 2 ) I was pretty shocked at the looks of the bolt that came apart.
I had been reading recently about crevice corrosion a.k.a. oxygen starvation, but hadn't picked up on the craters or orange peel seen on close inspection of the bolt, refereed to in Brion Toss' excellent book "The Riggers Apprentice".
Referenced here also http://www.bosunsupplies.com/Corrosion.cfm .

I had planned on replacing all the bolts this summer .. but thats now been moved up to next week. When I bought the boat I was appreciative of the fact that the running and standing rigging was replaced last year. But it's only as good as it's weakest link .. eh ?

Regards, Greg

Attachments

• a 021.jpg
    a 021.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 48
  • cp (1).jpg
    cp (1).jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 52
  • cp (3).jpg
    cp (3).jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 56