Re. Penetrating Oils

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Main Sail mentioned this in another post and it had me worried:

Be very, very careful to NOT get ANY penetrating oil on or near the output shaft seal for the transmission. It will eat the seal and you'll need a tranny re-build within 24 hours...

I was terrified because a couple of days before I read that I had sprayed some PB Blaster onto a rusted shaft coupling very very close to the transmission.

Nothing in the Material Safety Data Sheets on the product mentioned this caution so I called them. The Tech Support rep at Blaster Chemical said that even if you soaked a seal in PB Blaster for a month it would only soften it. It is the solvent in the product that causes this. In the case of getting it on a nearby seal in an open area, the solvent would evaporate within a few moments and would not harm the seal.

Don't know about Kroil.

Greg Ross

Not the newest member
Penetrants on shaft seals

Thanks for going to the trouble of chasing this down. I had done a similar thing this Summer, I was having occasional spurting from the "dripless coupling" that went in the boat with the new 3 cyl. engine this Spring.
I basically sprayed the rear of the engine and the gearbox to protect all the fasteners.
PB Blasters' response makes me fell much better.