• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Restoring interior woodwork

dustintodd

Member II
My leaky portlights have caused a lot of streaking and mildew in the surrounding woodwork. I had been speaking to a bunch of friends about techniques for cleaning up the wood and need some input. One friend recommended a combination of scraping ( using a utility knife blade) and oxialic acid to clean up the wood prior to oiling. Another suggested light sanding (200 grit) and generic teak cleaner. Any input on which process will provide the best results is appreciated.

- Dustin

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Your cabin side interiors might well be the same teak-face plywood as our '88 model. We had years of water stains from leaking ports to deal with when we bought the boat in '94.
:p
We pulled off the teak battons on top and bottom that cover the stapled edge of the overhead naugahide and also the naugahide from under the side deck overhead. Pop off the plastic trim from the Lewmar ports.
Lots of 3M blue tape was used, top and bottom, to catch wandering chemicals and moisture. Ports were taped off also.

We used Te-Ka A & B, wiped on with little sponges ( "make up sponges" per my wife) and cleaned with wrung-out wet rags. It took a couple of applications. You need a bucket of warm water handy and a big bunch of those cheapo small towels that Costco sells in bundles.

Then sand with 150 and 220, and do not sand too deeply into that veneer. (!)
Several coats of varnish later it looks great (to us, anyway).

Have Fun,

Loren
:egrin:

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Our interior wood was all oiled. I find that old oil attracts dust, which attracts moisture, leading to mold and mildew... :(

We are about 60% done with the cleanup and conversion to varnish. We have seen several other late model Ericson's with owner-applied varnish finishes, and like the look. Much easier to keep clean, IMO.

Admittedly, this is all subjective...

Loren

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
We have seen several other late model Ericson's with owner-applied varnish finishes, and like the look. Much easier to keep clean, IMO.
Varnish also doesn't darken the way oil finishes do over time. Keeps the cabin brighter. Oil finishes get darker and darker with exposure to light. Can get quite gloomy after a bunch of years.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Why did you pull the batons off 1st?

Since they were held on by flush #6 bronze screws, they could be taken home for cleaning/bleaching and varnishing. This move allows you to run the varnish right up to the edge of the stapled-on vinyl, and so your new finished surface goes right under the teak trim strip that you will put back on when finished.
(It's kinda like removing all the chrome from your car before repainting it.)

Loren