Price When New?

paul culver

Member III
Does anyone have info on what Ericsons cost when they were new? Mine is a 1977 E29, but anything of that general vintage would give me a ballpark idea. I've always been curious and haven't been able to pull the info up on my searches.

Thanks

Paul

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Adjusted for Inflation....

Does anyone have info on what Ericsons cost when they were new? Mine is a 1977 E29, but anything of that general vintage would give me a ballpark idea. I've always been curious and haven't been able to pull the info up on my searches.
Paul

Once you find some old price list info, you might want to re-calculate in terms of present dollars. I have this chart from a couple years ago.

Interesting stuff... and a bit of financial perspective always helps.

I do recall buying our first new sail boat, a Ranger 20 with trailer and lots of options in March '76, for about 6K. It was a *lot* of money out of our budget!
:)
I was told that our present boat, the '88 Olson 34, was sold new with almost every possible option, for about 90K. Yikes. First owner was thoroughly upside down in his loan when we bought it in late '94... Double yikes.
:rolleyes:

Loren

Attachments

• InflationConversionTable, by year.pdf
    9.9 KB · Views: 170

Glyn Judson

Cost of Ericson new.

Paul, The E31 is a little different from the E29 but my records show that the base price for an E31 in 1977 was $54K. That said, no two of them were alike, the original owner dictating the final price based on what options were offered and there were A LOT offered. The most paid for one new according to those same records was hull #17, a '77 that sold for $85K. Later on, the last E31 to be built, hull #71, sold for $71.1K on 3.31.81 Regards, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

Kim Schoedel

Member III
Since we on the approx "new" prices for Ericson's, anyone have a guestimate on our 35-3? I would imagine that there were several options available. We do have the deep fin keel and the 3 instrument pods on the steering pedestal.

corkhead

Julian Ashton
I am the second owner of 87 E35-III looks like it was 90K with all the extras.
After a 20yr 10.4% loan the total was 197K yikes. Previous owner payed off sooner than 20 yrs thank goodness

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
I hope this helps with the original cost of the E29.

September 15, 1978 Ericson 29 Tall Hull #591 base price was $31,000. per the attached document and she had another $1,470 in options that are listed on the option list and a few that aren’t listed. This Document was in the original owner’s manual. She surveyed for vessel value of $30,800 and replacement value of $42,000 on April 26, 1990.

Using Loren’s inflation conversion table that is about $100,590 today for base and options.

If anyone knows where I can get the complete spinnaker gear package for $530 let me know. Seriously if anyone has pictures of an E29 with the plush pillow-style cushions for the main salon please post them.

Attachments

• E29 price list 1978.jpg
    E29 price list 1978.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 145

Sid

BOATBUMMS
You all are in the right ballpark I think as I paid 62k for my 36C in Nov.1977 and still have her,:egrin: and you're right about the options. The base price was $48,260.
Sid and Manuela
In and On "Paradise"
36C #51

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
My E30+...

Cost for my 1984 E30+, according to records from previous owners, was $55,995. in Jan/85. While she had several of the available options, she didn't have them all, so was probably about average cost at that time. Survey done in Oct./05 rated the market value at 40,000. US. and replacement value at $120,000. Survey showed her to be in above average condition, with alot of systems upgraded or replaced. We bought her in April/06 and are very pleased with her -- her performance is absolutely up to Ericson standards! :egrin:
Frank.