Ankarolina, anyone?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
http://www.marinestore.com/ankaroli...k=ankarolina&gclid=CLCMkp2elokCFSa7YAodrWa3Pg

Anyone here tried this flat anchor line?

Interesting way to have a LOT of line stored, rewindable, in a relatively small space...

I have seldom seen this around my area, but did see one of these flat reels mounted inside a stern rail on a sailboat that had been cruising in BC waters where it is common to put out a bow anchor in deep water and row a stern line to shore to secure to a rock or tree...

Loren

Last edited:

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
It certainly seems like a neat product. My only concern would be how difficult is it to grip while hauling it back in? RT

Nicki

Member I
Loren,
Had a reel on the stren of the boat I raced two handed round Britain and Ireland last year. Only used it once in a F10 in the outer Hebrides, and as stated it was hard to pull in under any load. The other thing I would worry about is the lead as it would be very prone to chafe and reduction in strength if pulled any way but flat. I think it would work perfectly as a stern line to a tree, but I would reccommend a strop of conventional rope around the tree and attach to that with the snap shackle on the end ot the flat stuff.
Nicki

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
It says that the breaking strength is 6600 pounds, which is more than 1" line (according to the website).

That sounded like a low breaking strength for an anchor rode for all but the smallest boat, and also sounded much lower than I'd expect for a 1" line. So I googled rode breaking strength, and got this list of breaking strengths for braid on braid nylon rode available from Landfall Navigation.

Breaking Strength:
5/8" - 14,400 lbs * 3/4" - 17,100 lbs * 1" - 32,000 lbs

That sounds more like what I expected. So it sounds like a BS pitch, and that makes me very wary of any product.

Spirit Moon

Member II
flat rode

I was anchored next to boat in Desolation Sound using this system where using a stern tie to shore is common. For stern tie purposes the breaking strength is proably fine. The real problem we and everyone else in area noticed was that when the line was taught and a little breeze was blowing the line strummed like a very loud set of badly tuned guitar strings. We couldn't believe how much noise these lines produced. The owners were easing out more line to reduce the tension but of course the boat just drifted and the line went tight again. Eventually they just went out and anchored in the middle of the bay.

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
It would probably vibrate less if you twisted the strap a few times. You'll notice that truckers usually put a twist in their straps over a load to prevent them from flapping.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
another flat line source

It turns out that there is some competition for marketing tubular webbing in rolls for tying up boats.
While following up on a hint about a "new" anchor, I noticed that this company was also selling flat line.
If you use the old and rough rule-of-thumb that working load might be about half of breaking strength, then their load spreadsheet seems logical.
(Well, to me anyway...)

http://www.boyutmarine.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=20&Itemid=9

Loren

Last edited: