Blower replacement.

Kim Schoedel

Member III
In attempt to relieve engine compartment/starboard lazerette heat in the real hot weather, I ran the blower while motoring. I was concerned in particular about extra heat in the lazerette where I placed the refridgeration compressor etc for my conversion from ice box to refer. And I still have only the fabric seperation between the engine and lazerette.

The blower (probably original equipment) sounds like a combine during harvest. It works just fine but one needs ear protection. So....

This would be a good "next project" prior to next summer. Would appreciate input from other folks out there that have "been there-done that". Especially on a similar Ericson. I would like to take the easy path on this and not have to re-wire, re-switch. Just a plug and play project if it is possible. Thanks.

CaptnNero

Accelerant
In attempt to relieve engine compartment/starboard lazerette heat in the real hot weather, I ran the blower while motoring. I was concerned in particular about extra heat in the lazerette where I placed the refridgeration compressor etc for my conversion from ice box to refer. And I still have only the fabric seperation between the engine and lazerette.

The blower (probably original equipment) sounds like a combine during harvest. It works just fine but one needs ear protection. So....

This would be a good "next project" prior to next summer. Would appreciate input from other folks out there that have "been there-done that". Especially on a similar Ericson. I would like to take the easy path on this and not have to re-wire, re-switch. Just a plug and play project if it is possible. Thanks.

Kim, a few months ago we had a discussion on this issue and some sailors came up with good info. As I recall if it's original equipment it may not be rated for continuous use but there are alternatives in that thread.

Take a peek here :http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=3602&highlight=blower

Kim Schoedel

Member III
Ok, I peeked at the previous thread. Sounds like the Jabsco unit may be the way to go. I also thought perhaps to re-mount the blower with some kind of sound deadening material to quiet it down a bit. We do not motor for long periods of time. Maybe five to six hours at the most very seldom.

CaptnNero

Accelerant
Ok, I peeked at the previous thread. Sounds like the Jabsco unit may be the way to go. I also thought perhaps to re-mount the blower with some kind of sound deadening material to quiet it down a bit. We do not motor for long periods of time. Maybe five to six hours at the most very seldom.

Sound deadening blower mount, eh ? There's a new wrinkle. Kim, I'm sure you'll bring out some interesting ideas on that.

Kim Schoedel

Member III
I was thinking a chunk of rubber or engine compartment sound/heat reducing stuff placed between the mount and what ever the mount is attached to. I haven't actually located the blower yet but it sounds/feels like it is perhaps mounted in the stern lazerette or just under my feet when standing behind the wheel.

Ray Rhode

Member III
Sound deadening may not be necessary. The Jabsco is very quiet and is just barely audible. I would try it and see if annoys you.

One other thing would be to repalce the canvas partition. I installed a flat floor at the bottom of the locker and cut a piece of plywood set it in a groove in the floor and fastened it to the lip of the locker. I added engine soundproofing on the engine side and hang my dock lines along the partition on the locker side.

I can back channel you some pictures if you are interested.

Ray Rhode
S/V Journey
E35-III, #189

Kim Schoedel

Member III
Hi Ray and thanks for your response.

I would appreciate photo's when you get a chance. Been thinking of doing away with the fabric partition. But still need access from time to time to the water heater drain for winterizing and other various things as there is not access from the port side aft of the engine. Is your invention removable? And I am interested how you segregated the two compartments aft of the back side of the instrument/dashboard/ignition panel. Hope this makes sense. I was just in and out of the laz (sometimes wished I was a Monkey) to drain the last H20 out of the Hot water tank and was thinking how nice it would be to have something flat to stand/sqaut on when doing the contortionist thing.

Cory B

Sustaining Member
Rubber mounts

On our old boat we had a blower whose noise would drown out the engine. I just went to the local hose store, and bought a small sheet of neoprene rubber, and attached the blower through the neoprene, and could then hear the engine again. :)

Of course, the neoprene sheet was much larger than I needed, and have since found all kinds of uses for it.

The blower on our 35-3 is nearly silent. Don't know if its OEM or not. Its looks cheap and plasticy.

Also, we have a drop down board between the laz and the engine, no fabric anywhere. We pulled the WH this summer so that we could get to the steering gear. Long story. I can't fit, but my wife can.

- Cory Bolton

Last edited:

Mike Thomas

Member II
Here is a cheap, simple and almost silent fix.

The dreaded West Marine offers in-line blower units for between 20-30 bucks. I agree they look cheap and feel kind of light when you pick one up but…

Because they mount in-line you can locate them where the noise will be less noticeable. I run two, one intake and one out take. I split the intake line with one running leg directly into the engine compartment and the other spills into the locker that holds the fuel tank. This insures air intake without pressurizing the engine compartment.
Almost all of the inline blowers carry a 3yr warrantee. Because they are designed for inline use I “hung” them on very heavy nylon wire ties. Since they are not screwed down to any surface they are almost silent. The air rushing out of the hose makes more noise than the fan. Oh yea, I used the flexible white “dryer vent” type hose also. Real easy to run

The system has been in place for 3 years and I run it whenever the engine is running. Never a problem since day one and at $25 each I’m not worried.

Sometime cheaper is better. We call it lean manufacturing when we don’t want to say cheap.

Mike Thomas
76 E-29

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I lose track of the years, but it must have been about 4 years ago that our original equipment in-line blower died on our '88 boat. Replaced with another Atwood 3 inch Turbo Blower, and it runs every hour the engine is on.
Current price at West Marine is $30.49.
You can hear it run, but just barely, over the rumble of the diesel.
Loren in PDX