E-34 Universal 25XP - RH prop recommendation

FWQuinn

The 2 blade factory fixed prop just is not pushing my boat through strong chop and current, where it cavitates and the boat looses steerage due to no forward speed over rudder. I looked into a Maxprop 3 blade feathering and the shop recommended 15" diameter, 9'' pitch, 1'' shaft. The cost to buy and then haul boat to install is steep for the Maxprop so I was thinking of trying a fixed 3 blade to hold me over until my next haulout. Does anyone have a recommendation for 3 blade size/pitch/manufacturer for E-34? Will the folding recommendation above be good for fixed? I Know, I know the fixed will slow me down but I don't race and it's only temporary (let's hope)
Thanks,
Frank Quinn
87 Ericson 34
Sierra Star
Sacramento, CA

corkhead

Julian Ashton
I bought a Campbell 3blade 13" x9" based on several calls with Campbell ($400).
This was for my E35-III which should be about the same as your E34 I think.
Universal 25 (21hp)

I wasn't very happy, and have gone back to my 2 blade martec.

The things that didn't happen:

stern walk to port was minimally reduced (in reverse)
reverse power seemed to be less than 2 blade. stopping speed
forward speed was equivalent (2200rpm was the max)

If you want to try mine I still have it, my hull cleaner put it on in the slip.

Julian

u079721

Contributing Partner
15 x 9 sound good

On our E-38 we switched from a 16" diameter 13" pitch two blade to a Max Prop 16" diameter 9.8" pitch three blade.

Given that the standard prop for the E-34 is a 15" by 11" pitch two blade, I would guess that getting a used Michigan Wheel in 15" diameter by 9" or 8" pitch three blade would be pretty close to what you need.

Julian's poor experience with a 13" diameter by 9" pitch 3 blade sounds as if he was way underpropped.

FWQuinn

Thanks for responses

Thanks everyone for responses. After some more research I purchased a new Michigan wheel fixed 3-blade 15X9X1. Plan to install this month and will see if motoring in rough weather improves.
Frank

sailingdeacon

Member III
13" prop???

Julian, I am perplexed with your bad experience with the Campbell prop. My E34 uses a 15" prop, so I can't understand why you were sold a 13" prop. My previous experience with the Campbell on another boat was super. Also they will work with you if you are not satisfied. I would expect your 13" prop caused the engine rpm's to go way high. Your final prop selection at 15" confirms this. So something was out of the ordinary here.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Results

Thanks everyone for responses. After some more research I purchased a new Michigan wheel fixed 3-blade 15X9X1. Plan to install this month and will see if motoring in rough weather improves.
Frank

Frank,
Now that you have tried out that prop......
How did the three blade work out for your boat? When I changed to a three blade last year, I ended up slightly overpropped. Your 9" pitch sounds about right.
:confused:

LB

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Three - Blade Prop

Besides this, there are several other good EY.org past threads on props, fixed, feathering, and folding.
After a year with our new "Michigan Sailor" three blade I finally got some photos of it today. (Boat is out for bottom paint this week.)

"No moving parts" and it makes the boat power very well. ;)
The only down side is the drag under sail. Whether light or heavy air, the penalty is about a knot. (sigh)

We may change back to a featherer when the budget will allow a three-blade, someday. :rolleyes:
Our (now relegated to being a spare prop) two-blade featherer lacked some power due, imo, to limited blade area.

Here is another closely related thread, BTW.
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=7444&referrerid=28

Loren

Attachments

• ThreeBladeProp12-09.jpg
    ThreeBladeProp12-09.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 69
  • Prop 12-09.jpg
    Prop 12-09.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 73
  • Prop from astern.jpg
    Prop from astern.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:

CTOlsen

Member III
I've got a 15" Autostream 3 blade adjustable prop. The previous (original)owner installeed it about 8 years ago. It's easy to maintain, adjust and replace zincs- I really like it.
CTO

Attachments

• Prop Nov 09.JPG
    Prop Nov 09.JPG
    175.8 KB · Views: 430

newgringo

Member III
Don't forget the transmission ratio!

Having gone thru a prop replacement on our E32-3 I found that I had a different transmission. It was still a Hurth but the reduction ratio was not as Ericson provided. I had a 1.8:1 vs. the standard 2.0:1. That changes everything when comparing props. And of course you want to see the specified MAXIMUM R.P.M. per the owners manual (3000 for our M25) when at full power, no wind and clean bottom.