Hull #'s

Barry Lindia

Can anyone explain what the #'s on my hull mean?
they are: ERY23213M750

it's a 1975 Ericson 23 that's all I know. I see fellow members use other #'s after the boat size, are those model #'s? as the 2 after 23 does that mean second generation? and would some of these #'s be the hull #? and if so which ones?
Thanks for the help?

Regards,

Barry :egrin:

The first two numbers after the ERY indicate its size, 23 feet. The second three numbers indicate its production run, i.e. the 213th 23 that was built. The M750 stands for the year it was manufactured, 1975.
Morgan Stinemetz

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
It's all da fault of da gov-a-munt!

The HIN (hull identification number) became a requirement for watercraft produced in this country sometime in the very early 70's. It has an assigned code for the munufacturer, and is also supposed to show the boat hull production number and a simple code for year and month it was molded out. I do not positive about Ericson, but smaller builders always used a "Dymo" labeler for this duty when getting ready to spray the gelcoat in the mold.
:)

By the late 80's, when our hull was produced, the same number was also molded in somewhere aft on the inside as well.

Hmmm.... I think that I may have just oversimplified the coding too much. Anyway, see the word "Search" in the the blue band on the upper portion of this page? Click on and put in "HIN" and click on "go"...
You may even find, among the posts, a guide to all Ericson hull types and numbers, AFAIK.

Best,
Loren in PDX

Last edited:

Sven

Seglare
213 is also MK II, number 13

As in the 13th MK II, but based on the common wisdom around here you still call that hull 213, like we call La Petite hull 229.

Did you just get her ? Fixed keel or CB ?

Cruise interior or stripped down ?

-Sven

Barry Lindia

hull

She is a swing keel, cruising interior. I have owned her since summer of 99.
have put all new electronics on since then. that's about it still in great shape every owner she has had has taken good care of her. I am owner #4. I do know the previous two. not the original. She came out of the great lakes somewhere.

Regards,

Barry

"Slingblade"

1975 ericson 23

Bob in Va

Member III
23 Hull Number

Barry - Ericson made an earler 23 footer for several years ('68-'70). They are now called Mk 1s, but at the time were just known as E23s. Production was stopped on them, then another design was put into production in '75. The boats have a number of obvious differences - all Mk 1s have a swept back fixed keel, rudder post in the cockpit, a little different interior arrangement, lower aspect rig, etc. The Mk 2 boats were built, as I understand it, to give Ericson a trailerable, entry level boat, so most of them are centerboarders, though a goodly number of fixed keel boats were produced. Sven's remarks on the hull # are on the money, but check your last digit - I suspect that it is a "D" rather than an "O", which would indicate production in November of '75. We have an E23 Owners Association and certainly invite you to join - no costs or dues (yet). If you will email me your postal mailing address I'll send you a copy of the latest issue of "23 Tell-Tales", our semi-monthly newsletter. (Mine is in the Owners Registry - boat name "TigerEye"). We have located over 50 boats now and I am especially delighted to hear of yours, as it is the first one I've heard of on Naragansett Bay, my old stomping grounds when I lived in East Greenwich MANY moons ago (your governor was my high school classmate).

Bob
"TigerEye"
'76 E23 #312

Barry Lindia

Fellow Ericson 23 owners,

Thanks for all the great info.

Curious to know how final letter coincides with month of construction

Barry

"Slingblade"
e23 #213

Sven

Seglare
Bob in Va said:
We have located over 50 boats now and I am especially delighted to hear of yours, as it is the first one I've heard of on Naragansett Bay, my old stomping grounds when I lived in East Greenwich MANY moons ago (your governor was my high school classmate).

Small world !

I used to race on the Seekonk in HS ... not frostbting, but very cold ! Not fun to capsize in either since the water was like a chemistry and biology experiment gone awry !

I also sailed some of the Brown University boats, but not as a team member.

My parents are still in Provedence and one sister is in Barrington.

-Sven

Geoff Nelson

Member II
Another hull number question

So I have an Ericson 381 with ERY38X2M82B. What's the "X2M" in the middle for hull # represent? 82 being a year and B being Feb???

Thanks,

Geoff Nelson

Bob in Va

Member III
Hull #

The M indicates that the monthly ID system is being used (after the year number). Someone with more knowledge will have to comment on the X2 designation.

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Geoff,

My 1980 381 is "X20M80K." Hull # 20, Manufactured Nov. 1980. My mainsail has the Ericson helmet and the number "20" on it (it's baggy enough to be the original). Have you left out a number between the X and the M?

I uploaded a text file that has some repeat info about deciphering the HIN and a fairly complete list of the Ericson hulls and the years that they were built. The list was compiled and/or posted by someone, somewhere else on this site.

Attachments

• Ericson Hull Numbers.txt
    2.1 KB · Views: 226

Joe Benedict

Member II
So Which is it?

According to one link ( http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/hin.html ) the month designation system (for all boats) changed in August 1984. Prior to that date August was "A" September "B" etc. The quote from the Ericson manual states that January was "A" etc. I gather this means the manual was produced after August 1984. Did I get this correct - or does anyone have another source particularly from a government registration agency? By the way, for those from East Greenwich and Seekonk - I was born in Fall River and raised in Somerset - really small world.

Geoff Nelson

Member II
more confused

OK- so I left a # off the hull ID. It is actually ERY38X62M82B

That would imply hull #62... but the txt file says:

E/38 - II (381 series) #501 (1982) thru #539 (1986). Hmmmm....

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Yep I see what you mean. Most of the boats that evolved don't have any overlap in production years. The E/34 has a small overlap, but if we believe that text file, Ericson built three different models of 38's: the I (380?), II (381), and III (382). And they offered them at the same time. And the very last line of the file shows the E/38 III picking up in 1987 with hull #231 (Pacific Seacraft?).

I wonder if the 381 and 382 series had some other letter than X in there, to allow the experts to tell the difference. Or maybe they had 3-digit hull numbers. Or maybe ... just different interior layouts? One of the brochures under Specs and Documents has the basic 38 and a 38-200 with a different interior layout, so there is evidence for two different models at the same time. No dates of course, not even a publishing date. I have the E/38 basic layout with the starboard galley and a starboard settee with table (rather than a bench seat).

That website reference in Joe's note would make mine a June 1980 manufacture. Good reference info. If you have X, and the starboard galley, I bet you've got the E/38-I #62.

Geoff Nelson

Member II
E381

Makes sense what you say except I think I have (I was supposed to have bought!) an Ericson 381 (an E38-II if I understand this all correctly).

I like the hull #62 (make sense). I do have the stbd galley and small dinette to stbd (not the bench). Is the 38-III (382) the one with the bench? I know the 38-200 (pac seacraft?) is a total redesign with the head aft- right? What is the difference with the E38 I (380?)

This is worse than a software companies version #'s!!! :)

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Geoff and Footrope,

This is interesting to me, because these were the years I was at Ericson, and IIRC, the 381 was introduced in 1982-just after I left.

In 1980 the was no 381-so Footrope I think you have the original 38. I think Geoff has the 62nd 381 made, but those #'s are sure confusing..

Also, some models began the series with #'s like 501, etc. Even though it is hull #1 of the series. I think maybe the txt. file is in error..
Martin-am I missing something here?
Happy trails,
S