38,38-200,381?

Todd Craig

Hello, All. What are the differences between the E38, 38-200, and the 381. I believe the 200 has more waterline and a different cabin layout but what are the differences in performance, construction, etc. I've only been able to find a phrf rating for the 38. Does anyone have one for the other boats? I'm going to upgrade from a 32-2 in a few years and the 38 seems to be the best expression of the design concept. The 35, 32, 27, etc. look like squashed versions of the 38. Thanks

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
"It's Alive!" (the thread, that is...)

I was looking at what threads others are reading and noticed this one.
Interesting, because we have been looking at the various iterations of the 38 for the last couple years.
As I now pretend to understand it, all the E-38 hulls were from the same mold. :confused:

The original interior had a set of doors/privacy enclosures for the port side aft berth and nav table area. Head and separate shower forward on port side. Dining table to port with a small "game table" to starboard that would drop down to make up a settee on that side. Also was a solid-fuel stove on starb. at front of the cabin.

The model 381 had the same "floor plan" but was open aft with no bulkhead or door around the after berth area. It also has a larger locker where the former wood stove was mounted. To me, the 381 interior is just like a large version of the E-35-3 interior in appearance and function. Except for the head/shower being forward, I love that layout.

The E-38-200 series had a new interior layout, with head aft on starb. and a larger berth in a private aft cabin to port. The galley was pushed forward and the table surrounded the base of the mast. The nav. table was shrunk to a small table with a perch for sitting on the end of the starb. settee and facing aft.

This last layout (-200) has become almost a standard for modern sailboats. I also like it a lot, except for the short shrift it gave the nav table.
Anyhow, that's kind of how it looks to me.
I realize that PSC built a run of these and called it the PSC/E-380, but AFAIK they made no inside changes to the E-38-200. They did change the stern of the deck mold to incorporate a boarding platform on the transom.
If the cockpit and deck mold changed otherwise, I have not noticed. It certainly could have some changes, though.

LB

Last edited:

WBurgner

Member III
E381

You are correct, the E381 mast is 3' shorter for a sail area of 663sf vs. 709sf. Give or take a little.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Thanks guys.
One thing does puzzle me though. Ericson offered a "standard" and a "tall" rig on just about everything they built. For instance, our boat has an optional "tall" rig.
Would the 381 be one of the few where the model designated more than just an interior alternative -- and included the rig size?

Regards,
Loren

WBurgner

Member III
Martin responded to an earlier post on this subject. As I recall he said that Ericson was trying to accommodate as many buyer desires as they could to broaden their market. That is how there were as many variations in cabin layout, etc. I suppose the 381 was to appeal to folks not interested in racing and the reduced sail area made it less tender. Just a guess.

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
The only negative to the layout of the 381 is the large table in the middle of the main salon. Its really too large, not particularly functional and just crowds the space. I've considered making a smaller one but don't really want to live with the holes in the sole from the two supports there now. Maybe when I get to doing the sole over..... Other than that the interior is just about perfect for a couple.

Regarding the rig height, does anyone know the "standard" mast measurement from the deck for a 381? I think that mine is about 45ft from the deck? Seems plenty, quite a high aspect ratio as it stands. I can't really imagine another 3ft and I already have the Mars bulb augmented keel.

RT

Attachments

• eric9.jpg
    eric9.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 54
  • eric10.jpg
    eric10.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 53

Don Taugher

Member II
The 38-200 had a few changes which have not been mentioned. The
38-200's trunk cabin is longer than the 38 to accomadate the aft head. This change shortened the cockpit, but some of the lost cockpit dimension was made up by reducing the angle of the reverse transom, in effect, the aft end of the 38-200 cockpit is further aft. Also the helmsman seat on the 38-200 is molded differeently than on the 38 and the rudder was moved aft on the 38-200.

The Ericson 38 is an absolute joy to sail, it can get overpowered but that is why we have reefing gear. I would rather reef early than get caught sailing some of the slugs that are out on the water.

Don Taugher
38-200
Running Free
Long Beach, CA

WBurgner

Member III
I would agree with Rob that a folding leaf table or drop-down table would substantially add to the comfort of the cabin when the table is not in use.