• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Boat damage

alcodiesel

Bill McLean
fix current mast idea, external chainplate idea needs peer review

I was looking at the mast today and got this idea. Please see attached drawing. Why wouldn't this work? Thank you for your input.

Attachments

• mast fix proposition.pdf
    355.5 KB · Views: 26

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
I think your chainplate detail needs a little work. Study the photos in the links up-thread - if you cut the old piece just below the deck, the vertical part will be standing proud of the hull at an angle. (And it will be hard to drill that center hole at the right angle.) Possibly better to cut it close to the horizontal bar and make up a good backing plate for the rest.

I was all set to tackle this project - intend to shamelessly steal designs from those who have gone before and get some quotes. Except that the money I was going to use for chainplates just went into my trailer. Boats. :mad:
May still get some quotes in a week or so, when things settle down a bit here. I could at least do the exterior prep work during the haul-out.

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Mast Dimple

Mast dimples caused by the original design of the spreader brackets were identified by Ericson early on. Their suggested fix was to do what you want to do, weld an aluminum plate to the mast and re-install the original brackets. I went a different route and made a stainless steel saddle with Dyer spreader brackets welded to the saddle. The caveat is that I wasn't dealing with a mast that was bent.

Attachments

• PICT0018 (640x480).jpg
    PICT0018 (640x480).jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 179

alcodiesel

Bill McLean
Todd, point well taken on the chainplates.

Thanks for the insight, Al.

To my idea the rigger wrote:
Not a bad idea, about the mast we can wait until we put it down and then , evaluate and go from there.

Gaston

I am liking where this is going. Now if the remains of hurricane Michael doesn't blow the wounded mast over....

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Thru bar and repair plates (and spreaders) from Buzz Ballenger in CA. Buzz knows the E27 mast section and can make a set up without any additional information (I think). I installed with screws and 5200. Easy and effective. Has held up perfectly for 6+ years. Highly Recommended!

boat002-1.jpg

alcodiesel

Bill McLean
Geeze I'm going to have to become a pirate.

Geico "constructively" totaled the boat, sent me a check and cancelled the insurance and called my boat "not seaworthy." I can't get insurance on her till she's fixed. Same results no matter who I call. I make the point she is sea worthy and I could motor anywhere. They don't care. Bottom line: no one will insure a damaged boat.

Anyway, the rigger says I should be able to bring her over this coming Monday or Tuesday.

6 weeks no sailing. I am practicing patience.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author

Geico "constructively" totaled the boat, sent me a check and cancelled the insurance and called my boat "not seaworthy." I can't get insurance on her till she's fixed. Same results no matter who I call. I make the point she is sea worthy and I could motor anywhere. They don't care. Bottom line: no one will insure a damaged boat.

Anyway, the rigger says I should be able to bring her over this coming Monday or Tuesday.

Locally, when an insurer totals a boat they take the title. Then the (former) owner or anyone else can buy it and fix it or part it out... or whatever they choose to do with it.
If the only part that is presently not useful is the mast, you now have a perfectly fine trawler.
I am baffled that a potential insurer would refuse to insure you. And, why would they lie about it's "seaworthy-ness"?

I actually know someone who took the insurance check for a "total loss" situation that involved an interior flooding and the subsequent replacement of the aux.engine. He sez he is now insured, and he was given an option to keep the title after receiving the check. Since his family loved the boat, their choice was to keep it and restore it.

Perhaps it might help to talk to a senior underwriter @ BoatUS (no matter what company actually underwrites their policies). Also, there are experienced marine insurance agents that place policies with different companies. These folks specialize in marine insurance.

Regards,
Loren

kapnkd

kapnkd

Geez! That slimy little green lizard doesn’t know doo doo about sail boats! Puts him on a par with “Flo” (the Sea Hag for Progressive). Sorry to hear your getting the brunt of insurance company stupidity. I would hope a proper report from a reliable marine surveyor would negate their denials.

alcodiesel

Bill McLean
You are correct Kapn. Once fixed an in water survey will confirm sea worthy-ness and all will sell me a policy.

CSMcKillip

You are correct Kapn. Once fixed an in water survey will confirm sea worthy-ness and all will sell me a policy.

I just hope the check was enough to cover the needed repairs and get you back onto the water and pay for your tome!!!!! Lol... hope for all the best.

alcodiesel

Bill McLean
We tried to straighten the mast. Fail. I had hope.broken mast.jpg

Matt, I left a PM for you about buying your mast.

I was thinking I'd have her sailing again by Christmas, but again that's hope.

markvone

Sustaining Member
Bill,

Take a look at this E27 in Baltimore for $950:

https://baltimore.craigslist.org/boa/d/sailboat-liveaboard-ericson-27/6745049633.html

The mast and rigging will get you back sailing fast and cheap.

My guess is there will be more parts in addition to the mast and rigging such as sails, winches, etc. you could use from this as well.

Sadly, this boat is worth more in parts than the asking price and you would need to decide what to do with your extra hull and parts. Dealing with the "extra" boat and parts is the hard part of this plan.

I don't know enough about parting out an old boat to know how much certain parts could bring (keel lead), engine, etc. and what it might cost to break up and dispose of the hull - chainsaw and dumpster rental? Also don't know if you could donate a small boat with no mast for a quick disposal to the Naval Academy, Chesapeake Bay Foundation, or other.

Mark

alcodiesel

Bill McLean
Finally movement on the boat. Chain plates are getting replaced, pulled the leaky head off the A4 (brutal) Cleaning it up to install newer head. We are working at getting Matt's mast down here from Ontario.

head almost off A4.jpgView attachment 25622Gaston installing external chain plates.jpg

Cleaned up A4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TJ0jqYOAXw

Thanks Mark, yeah it would be great to have a spare everything. But what to do with the hull- that's a tough one. I saw on ebay an E27 bid for $10 plus 300 processing from Boat Angel up in Urbana. Thought about that, too.

Last edited:

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Great! Are those custom chainplates or off-the shelf? One bolt through the old internal strap?

alcodiesel

Bill McLean
Todd, off the shelf, and yes to the one bolt though the old strap. Really simple solution. I think a better idea than new. 2" outboard of old chain plates. Easily inspect-able.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Care to divulge the source? I’ve looked around at what’s available on-line (Schaefer and Ronstan, anyway) and the ones with the right pin size seem to be too thin. At least according to the tables in Riggers Apprentice and by comparison to the existing material. It’s like one of those mysterious conspiracies...

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Care to divulge the source? I’ve looked around at what’s available on-line (Schaefer and Ronstan, anyway) and the ones with the right pin size seem to be too thin. At least according to the tables in Riggers Apprentice and by comparison to the existing material. It’s like one of those mysterious conspiracies...

Plan B:
http://www.colligomarine.com/shop-all/titanium-chainplates

There are other sources also.
And of course the are sources on the 'net for SS chain plates cut to your spec.

Last edited:

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Of course, but the price differential between the catalog pieces and custom-made is enough to turn a simple maintenance item into a major undertaking. For example, WM currently has the nominally correct size on sale for less than $16(!).
OTOH, another angle to look at is whether the pins on these old rigs were under-sized to begin with. But change those and suddenly we're replacing the entire rig.

supersailor

Contributing Partner
I just tuned into this post. The original chain plates lasted 40 years. There is no reason replacing with like ones won't last just as long. Over engineering with a $6300 boat doesn't make sense.

Another option for the mast is to sleeve it at the dimple. I have seen a few boats in the marina with this surgery done. It usually involves cutting the mast at the dimple and inserting a sleeve of the same cross section inside the mast in effect reinforcing the mast and eliminating the bend.