• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Looking for Raymarine ST3000 plug socket

Geoff W.

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm
Blogs Author
Anyone have a power plug/socket for a Raymarine ST3000 lying around? Seems a long shot but mine is coming apart at the autopilot is getting wonky as a result. You can hear it getting inconsistent power draws and sometimes it loses power altogether.

Picture here:
39byonx.jpg

Last edited:
L

Leslie Newman

I'm sure you know this, but you just need some kind of waterproof connector. It's two wire, right? I see various types on Amazon. Or if you never really remove the wheel pilot you could crimp and seal the wires.

Geoff W.

Blogs Author
I'm sure you know this, but you just need some kind of waterproof connector. It's two wire, right? I see various types on Amazon. Or if you never really remove the wheel pilot you could crimp and seal the wires.

Hey Leslie, don't assume I know anything, because chances are I don't :)

Your point seems astoundingly simple. I could just get rid of the plug altogether. It'd take me 5 minutes. *smacks forehead*

Geoff W.

Blogs Author
This probably belongs more in the mechanical forum now, but I finally followed through with a "project" and replaced this deck connector with a new one.

Important thing to note is the power wires coming from the ST-3000 drive motor are brown and blue. Blue is POSITIVE and brown is NEGATIVE. I found advice online that said opposite. EDIT: This is incorrect, per Tom's post below brown is POSITIVE. Blue is NEGATIVE. My boat is backwards.

MVIMG_20181017_175508.jpg
Screenshot_20181018-081050.jpg

This involved drilling out the old cable hole to 3/4" and drilling in three new screw holes. First official drilling into the boat while under my ownership.

The autopilot now starts up right away and doesn't look like it's stuttering for power when performing maneuvers, and I will be able to recalibrate it without minor shorts resetting the control unit every time I use it l.

Last edited:

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Important thing to note is the power wires coming from the ST-3000 drive motor are brown and blue. Blue is POSITIVE and brown is NEGATIVE. I found advice online that said opposite.

Geoff - You overlooked the obvious. Your boat is wired wrong.

The brown wire of the power supply
lead should be connected to positive. If
connections are accidently reversed the
Autohelm 4000 will not operate but no
damage will result.

This was copied/pasted from my Autohelm 4000 manual. It's always been the same. It's the Autohelm/Raymarine standard.

The wiring should be corrected before you get in trouble somewhere else.

Before I realized that you had solved your problem I was going to point out that most Autohelm connectors have screws fastening the wires to the terminals. If a screw comes loose you will have the problems you described. I'd tell you how I know, but it's time for a sundowner in the east.

Last edited:

Geoff W.

Blogs Author
Well dang Tom, guess I can't argue with the manual. Edited my post so as not to spread misinformation. I was excited to get to blame Raymarine tech support for something. I'll see if I can trace the black/white cable back to the battery or wherever it's plugged in for a fix. Thanks for the heads up.

I'm glad I replaced the plug entirely - the ends of some of the wires were pretty corroded and gunked up with old sealant that found its way into various nooks and crannies.