• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Universal 5432 & M40 engine information

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I finally got around to the loose ends of figuring out the Kubota cross-reference of parts for the Universal 5432 & M40 engines that some of us have. I went through the ringer trying to get parts for a reasonable price when I replaced my 5432. Kubota "the engine" maker and Kubota "the tractor" maker act as if they are two different companies. Kubota "the engine" maker sells their product to companies like Bobcat, Universal, Westerbeke and others, including their own Kubota "the tractor" maker. As such there can be difficulty trying to figure out what your marine engine was installed in terrestrially. You will need to know this as the local Kubota "the tractor" dealer will not be able to just look up your engine. They want to know the tractor model. Once you can speak their language, all the parts you could want are easy to get and 1/4 the price of Westerbeke's "marine" price gouging.

So if you have a 5432 or M40 it is a V1501 Kubota engine. It was installed in Kubota L345 Tractors.

The Illustrated parts list for the L345 tractor is Kubota part number 97898-20530 for $30 (no procedures, just EVERY SINGLE PART NUMBER!)
The coolant pump for the V1501 is Kubota part number 15321-73032 for $121
Gasket for coolant pump is Kubota part number 15439-73430 for $2.20

Also, the Kubota shop manual the V1501, that contains EVERY procedure for rebuilding/servicing is Kubota part number 97897-00661

As a comparison, Torreson Marine gets $454 for the 5432/V1501 coolant pump, and $5 for the gasket. That is the EXACT same parts folks, just with the Westerbeke "marine" premium added on. Completely ridiculous and uncalled for, IMHO. Westerbeke doesn't make the part and likely doesn't even stock it. They slap their packaging on it with their part number and FOUR HUNDRED PERCENT MARKUP ON IT! Makes me sick, Westerbeke should be boycotted by boaters.

So there you go, if you have a 5432/M40 this info should brighten your day! I will extend an open offer that if I can help any 5432/M40 owner by passing on the info in the manuals I will.

Enjoy, RT

Attachments

• IMG_1277.jpg
    IMG_1277.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 7,799

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Apropos of whatever......
I have seen at least five new Betamarine diesels installed in boats just in our one little moorage in the last several years. Every engine comes with a Kubota parts cross-reference list.
If this success is being repeated all around the continent, it would seem that Westerbeke is truly asleep or truly arrogant.
Of course, if they get into financial trouble, be darned well assured that they will blame it 100% on "the economy" or "Obama"..... :rolleyes:

Sheesh.

Loren

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
How did you track down the tractor model number for that Kubota engine? I may want to do that for my M-18 engine...

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
The only way I found out what my 5432 was installed in was talking to a guy named Thomas at SouthEast Power Products in Florida. He knew exactly what I had, simply based on description, correctly called it as a V1501 and then provided the needed gasket kits, etc. when I changed engines. I'm guessing he'll know what you have too. A serial number may help out here if you have it. I don't have SouthEasts phone number at hand but I can find it for you if Google doesn't work out for you. RT

gregdettmer

Member I
universal - tractor cross reference

How did you track down the tractor model number for that Kubota engine? I may want to do that for my M-18 engine...

Found this table on the internet back when i was working on my engine. Not sure how accurate it is, but the M-18 would cross reference to the Z600 tractor.

kubota engine data.jpg
I can second the recommendation to contact Thomas at SouthEast Power Products Phone: (954) 979-5899 Fax: (954) 979-4349. He was very helpful in supplying all the OEM parts I needed for a 5432 and at significant savings over any marine suppliers. Make sure you speak to Thomas though, he use to work for Kubota and knows most of the information (engines, parts, etc……) by memory.

Regards
Greg
1981 E38 - "Spirit Soul"

stbdtack

Member III
Great!

Ha Ha Rob, you're like baby Jesus.... I was just thinking I should get off my can and figure out the kubota water pump number since mine has been weeping a little at the bearing for awhile now. Armed with your previous tractor info I was going to call the local dealers. Now I have a part number! Dude you're the best...

Another subject...Any thoughts about oil level? Ive been keeping my oil level no higher than half on the dipstick.(2 gallons seems to put it about there) E 38 install has the engine pretty well angled down. Ive been meaning to measure the angle to compare with factory recommendations. Im wondering if filling to the full mark (and the dipstick is at the front of the pan) would have the crank shaft in contact with the oil in the pan at the aft end. I had always heard this was bad and could cause problems with the oil foaming? The oil pickup strainer is further back than the dipstick so it should be well submerged when heeling. Havent had any problems so far but curious.

Joliba

1988 E38-200 Contributing Member
Engine differences and inexpensive Kubota manuals

Rob,
I was able to find the Kubota tractor parts manual and service manual together as a PDF download from http://kubota.servicemanualvault.com/Kubota-L345-Service-Manual.html for under $5. My 1988 (built 1987) E38-200 has the 5432 engine. From all references I see, this would be the V1501 engine which was used in the Kubota L345 tractor. My water pump, however, does not match the diagrams for that tractor, but rather is the one with multiple bolts on a long tongue on the forward side of the engine. This is the one used in the L355 tractor which is based upon a V1702 engine. Do you know if mine is actually a V1501 engine with a different water pump series, or might this be a different engine? I know that there was something about this previously on the forum, but I don't recall where. I remember that there are 3 varieties of the cooling system, and that I would need to count the bolts to order the correct replacement gasket.If you recall where that was posted, please let me know.
Thanks,
Mike Jacker

ChinaClipper

does your repair manual give instructions for rear main oil seal?

:esad:s
I finally got around to the loose ends of figuring out the Kubota cross-reference of parts for the Universal 5432 & M40 engines that some of us have. I went through the ringer trying to get parts for a reasonable price when I replaced my 5432. Kubota "the engine" maker and Kubota "the tractor" maker act as if they are two different companies. Kubota "the engine" maker sells their product to companies like Bobcat, Universal, Westerbeke and others, including their own Kubota "the tractor" maker. As such there can be difficulty trying to figure out what your marine engine was installed in terrestrially. You will need to know this as the local Kubota "the tractor" dealer will not be able to just look up your engine. They want to know the tractor model. Once you can speak their language, all the parts you could want are easy to get and 1/4 the price of Westerbeke's "marine" price gouging.

So if you have a 5432 or M40 it is a V1501 Kubota engine. It was installed in Kubota L345 Tractors.

The Illustrated parts list for the L345 tractor is Kubota part number 97898-20530 for $30 (no procedures, just EVERY SINGLE PART NUMBER!)
The coolant pump for the V1501 is Kubota part number 15321-73032 for $121
Gasket for coolant pump is Kubota part number 15439-73430 for $2.20

Also, the Kubota shop manual the V1501, that contains EVERY procedure for rebuilding/servicing is Kubota part number 97897-00661

As a comparison, Torreson Marine gets $454 for the 5432/V1501 coolant pump, and $5 for the gasket. That is the EXACT same parts folks, just with the Westerbeke "marine" premium added on. Completely ridiculous and uncalled for, IMHO. Westerbeke doesn't make the part and likely doesn't even stock it. They slap their packaging on it with their part number and FOUR HUNDRED PERCENT MARKUP ON IT! Makes me sick, Westerbeke should be boycotted by boaters.

So there you go, if you have a 5432/M40 this info should brighten your day! I will extend an open offer that if I can help any 5432/M40 owner by passing on the info in the manuals I will.

Enjoy, RT

I was wondering if you could be great assistance to me with help from your manual. I do not have a repair manual in hand and I have ordered one but it will not arrive for two whole weeks and I need rear main oil seal instructions as soon as possible due to sail deadline dates. I have the rear main oil seal retainer off (14-16 bolts) and I am ready to walk the new rear main oil seal into the sleeve of the shaft, but I have no idea how far on this seal gets pressed? I have the spring side facing the engine and I can see a wear color line in the cam shaft of where I am going to assume the old seal spring sets but I am not sure? Any replacement advice you can give me from the repair manual would be GREATLY appreciated :)

David Grimm

E38-200
Hey Christian, I can't seem to cross reference the L350. I have the v1502 block and my head gasket just started leaking. Another member on this site said that 07916-24245 should be the upper gasket kit from kubota. But when I look at that same part as shown on ebay it looks like a two piece intake manifold gasket and mine is a 1 piece. See the blue gasket in the photo. I know this because I got it from kubota a few years back. Should have saved that info but it was lost along with my old phone. Hmmm. Any ideas. Pressing times. Maybe the L345 is the right tractor to reference?

David.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220510-144433_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220510-144433_Chrome.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 6

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Mike Jacker might be able to help (re Message #9).

I'd want to call a tractor dealer to confirm the part. Anybody got a good Kubota shop, equivalent to Moyer Marine for the A4?

Joliba

I’ve been trying for years to get the Kubota tractor number for my v1502 engine block. The best I can tell, that block was never used in a Kubota tractor, but rather in a variety of other vehicles including Bobcat skid steer loaders. Perhaps you can find the Bobcat model that would help in sourcing parts from Kubota. Many parts are available online by simply Googling “Kubota v1502.”
If all else fails, you can pay the extra bucks and order the part directly from Westerbeke using their M-40 engine parts diagram or inquiring about the proper part. They are very responsive and helpful, though they definitely will not give you the Kubota part number for the parts that they simply repackage and mark-up in price.
Mike
P.S. If you find a specific vehicle/machine that used the v1502 on land, please post it.

David Grimm

E38-200
Thanks Mike and Christian, I orderd that Kubota upper gasket kit off ebay. Only took me a little less then 3 hrs to carefully disassemble today. I'll get cleaning over the next few days while I await its arrival. You have my intrest sparked. I stopped and looked at three machines today looking for the v1502 block.

When a cylinder wears in an engine you get a ridge at the very top of the block where the piston never rides. This engine has 2500+ hrs on it and there is no ridge. Little carbon built up but not much. Plenty of life left in this v1502!

Attachments

• 20220511_192642.jpg
    20220511_192642.jpg
    264 KB · Views: 15
  • 20220511_172750.jpg
    20220511_172750.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 20220511_155734.jpg
    20220511_155734.jpg
    310.2 KB · Views: 15

Joliba

Looks great.
I tried again to find a particular tractor or machine that used the Kubota v1502 block but again met with no success. I think a New Holland skid-steer loader or a Bobcat may have been built with a v1502, but I can’t find a model that used it. Several use a v1702 block which shares many parts with the v1502, but it has slightly larger cylinders. (1.7 vs. 1.5). Not having a tractor number makes it hard to get parts from Kubota, though comparing a v1702 with a v1502 manual diagram helps to figure out where parts are the same. As you have done, ordering parts on eBay or from other online sellers is easy simply by searching for v1502 parts.