• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Missing

RMX

Member I
Am I missing something or is this northeast group really quiet?

Not many up here on the CT shoreline from what I can tell. My YC is hosting the COASTAL CLASSIC on August 18.
It would be great to see some Ericson sailors there.

Rod

Thaddeus

Member II
Not many up here on the CT shoreline from what I can tell. My YC is hosting the COASTAL CLASSIC on August 18.
It would be great to see some Ericson sailors there.

Rod
Hi Rod, We are in Noank CT for the season where it seems to have quite a few Ericsons. The Classic would be a good destination for us. Is a 1987 now considered a classic? Just becoming a grandfather , what is new and what is classic has become quite evident. This note was not a poll but by the response I surmise it is a quiet group.
Cheers
Tom
1987 E34

Starduff

Member II
Ericsons Northeast

Hi all,

It does seem to be quiet here. Might have some thing to do with the terrain and climate. I am up the river in the Hudson at Chelsea on the Hudson, NY, which is north of Beacon (east shore) and Newburgh (west shore). My club, CYC, used to race not only the other clubs along the Hudson, but also in LI Sound. And, memebers used to cruise not only inthose waters, but also up and down the east coast and beyond. Now only a few members venture beyond the Hudson.

Polonius
E-28

RMX

Member I
Hi Rod, We are in Noank CT for the season where it seems to have quite a few Ericsons. The Classic would be a good destination for us. Is a 1987 now considered a classic? Just becoming a grandfather , what is new and what is classic has become quite evident. This note was not a poll but by the response I surmise it is a quiet group.
Cheers
Tom
1987 E34

We will be near Noank hopefully a few times this season. It would be fun to catch up with another. The E34 is a great boat. It would certainly fit well in the race fleet. Do you have a Phrf cert? I also welcome crew on our Wednesday night series. Great fun! We plan to do the fall Off Soundings on Shelter Island and visit Stonington on the way to the Block in August. If anyone is ever going past Guilford, I have a mooring you can borrow for a stopover.

Smooth seas? Bah humbug! Give me a stiff breeze and salt spray in the face.

Rod

kiwisailor

Member III
Blogs Author
Cheers
Tom
1987 E34

We are located in Groton, CT and could easily catch up. I happened to see an E34 in Fisher's Island Sound a few weekends ago looked to be on heading out of New London towards West Harbor, Fisher's Island. Sorry I couldn't see the vessel's name though.

Thaddeus

Member II
That may have been us. We sail around familiarizing ourself to the local nuances and hard spots of Fischer Sound, avoiding the hard spots with plans in the coming weeks of putting some miles on her. Lots to see. It would be great to see and meet you all. Is Noank and Groton the same town and or are you up the river?
Tom
E34

Thaddeus

Member II
We will be near Noank hopefully a few times this season. It would be fun to catch up with another. The E34 is a great boat. It would certainly fit well in the race fleet. Do you have a Phrf cert? I also welcome crew on our Wednesday night series. Great fun! We plan to do the fall Off Soundings on Shelter Island and visit Stonington on the way to the Block in August. If anyone is ever going past Guilford, I have a mooring you can borrow for a stopover.

Smooth seas? Bah humbug! Give me a stiff breeze and salt spray in the face.

Rod

Hi Rod,
No PHRF on this boat yet. We both crew on two other boats and decided this will be our designated cruiser. Not sure how long that will last having discovered how good of a choice in the E34 we made. Please let us know when you are in the area. Shelter island is on our short list of destinations in the coming weeks.
Tom

kiwisailor

Member III
Blogs Author
That may have been us. We sail around familiarizing ourself to the local nuances and hard spots of Fischer Sound, avoiding the hard spots with plans in the coming weeks of putting some miles on her. Lots to see. It would be great to see and meet you all. Is Noank and Groton the same town and or are you up the river?
Tom
E34

Noank is just around the corner from us. We are located in Pine Island harbor next to UConn Avery Point, so at the very entrance to the Thames River.

For summer I highly recommend sailing over to Flat Hammock and anchoring for lunch, very nice spot. Just watch the currents at max ebb/flood.

Mack8964

Member I
New to the Ericson Forum

Hi,

I am in the process of buying an Ericson 32-300D from Rhode Island. I'm having the survey done on October 26th. If all works out, I will be keeping her on the Hudson hopefully at the Chelsea Yacht Club (if they accept my application). Maybe someone can help out with suggesting day trips or long weekend trips in the area.

Thaddeus

Member II
Hello,
Nice boat if it is the same one I saw on YachtWorld.
Being on the eastern end of Long Island Sound , joining the CYC will be very helpful for local knowledge.
So I have nothing to add except welcome to this great informational club. Our NE group seems pretty small. It would be nice if we could get a rendezvous next year.
Good Luck,
Tom

RMX

Member I
Hi,

I am in the process of buying an Ericson 32-300D from Rhode Island. I'm having the survey done on October 26th. If all works out, I will be keeping her on the Hudson hopefully at the Chelsea Yacht Club (if they accept my application). Maybe someone can help out with suggesting day trips or long weekend trips in the area.

Mack,
Have you been through NYC yet on another voyage at all? Just a heads up to do your homework and follow the advice closely. I have been through a few times now and know it can be a bit hectic and timing the tide is critical in a sailboat with our typical size engines. The ferry’s do not have much patience for us sailors and you may get honked at a few times while bouncing around in the wash. The passage along the coast of RI and CT should be decent with a few good spots to layup when needed.

Thaddeus,
I would would participate in a rendezvous next summer for sure.

Mack8964

Member I
Mack,
Have you been through NYC yet on another voyage at all? Just a heads up to do your homework and follow the advice closely. I have been through a few times now and know it can be a bit hectic and timing the tide is critical in a sailboat with our typical size engines. The ferry’s do not have much patience for us sailors and you may get honked at a few times while bouncing around in the wash. The passage along the coast of RI and CT should be decent with a few good spots to layup when needed.

Thaddeus,
I would would participate in a rendezvous next summer for sure.

RMX,

I have not made a voyage through NYC and I will be planning the route and reading as much as possible before I move the boat down next spring. I heard the Race and the entrance to the East river can be tricky at best. I have the Eldridge Tide and Pilot Book and the Embassy Cruising Guides: Long Island Sound to Cape May, NJ. I've also been searching the internet for tips on the passage. As for the ferry's honking I'm from NY so I'm used to honking on my daily commute so I think I'll just smile and wave. Thanks for the advice. :)