• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Engine Compartment Insulation

ewade

Hi, we have an Olson 34. We had to remove the old insulation from the engine compartment and wondered if anyone has any suggestions on what to replace it with. We race the boat so we're not interested in anything that's lead-lined! Any suggestions appreciated.
Elaine Wade, Synergy, Nanaimo BC

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Years ago the surface silvery mylar layer came loose and the foam was crumbling that was under it. It became kind of messy. I tore it all out. Except... the pieces that line the inside of the fiberglass steps. I was able to save that by re-adhering the whole edge with some new mylar tape. That steps molding would be really noisy without insulation.

There is so much stuff fastened up to the walls around that engine that I have not yet figured out just how to re-insulate it.

Let us know what solution(s) you come up with. I figure that all of EY boats from that era have the same sort of insulation. Hope to see some answers one of these days.

Regards,
Loren

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The primary sound insulation on my boat is the big front panel of the engine compartment (under the ladder) and the top panel, which forms the top of the box.

Not much room, but the Previous Owner seems to have placed what insulation material would fit against the panel backs and then covered it all with the Mylar tape in the Defender link above.

It seems to work, looks nice and shiny.

My real "insulation" is a dish towel under the three stove burner grids, shims for the barrel bolts that hold the engine box panels on, and small pieces of foam glue under lazarette lids.

I don't mind the diesel noise, it's the buzzing and rattling of all that other stuff.

Grizz

Grizz
Sound Down? The on-going attempt...

As Loren alluded, the OEM 'stuff' Ericson used on these Olsons is flaking & crumbling, offering little decibel resistance and creating a big mess whenever it's touched, rubbed or breathed on.

The 1st attempt, surprisingly successful (as that rarely happens on the 1st go) was to re-insulate the small panel that allows access to check the oil level and murmur sweet nothings in the girl's ear, the latter in the hope that Iron Genny (she's ok with that nick name) will remain reliable.

Because that small test worked (neat, tidy, not crumbly), the next was the removable tray above the engine. Just larger, but the same installation system as the little panel.

Next up, while cringing, was the port/sb side surfaces, accomplished by removing as little as possible of the wiring and control cables to affix the insulation in tight quarters (at best) or 'not a chance' (at worst). The decibels increased as the 'sweet murmurs' changed to questions of linage and blaming those responsible for naval design.

Eventually, port and starboard received all new sound dampening material. The dB App on my Apple proved there is a difference (wonderful thing, at times, this technology stuff!).

The final step, which hasn't happened, WAS an attempt to pull the fiberglass steps, schlepp it home to the shop last winter and redo all that material, comfortably, with plenty of room and time. Unfortunately, that same naval architect somehow figured a way to get the steps in, but allowed no way for them to be removed (like building a boat in a basement). A friggin' 3-d Rubik's Cube that proved unsuccessful, no matter how the step assembly was rotated, positioned or started. Nightmare, and then surrender. Not happening, not in the home shop. Plan B.

I sprung for the recommended tape, trying to avoid repeating the process again due to 'cheap'. Right decision.

Next up...another attempt to locate the low oil pressure buzzer. The light works, but no sound, which, given a choice, the inverse would be preferred. Oh well...

Hope this helps someone. Take care.

Last edited:

Mort Fligelman

Member III
On my 35-3, the insulation was in tatters....perished...a total mess....getting it all off and cleaned up was a nightmare, as the PO tried to glue the old stuff back on piece by piece.....

After cleaning it all off, and a couple of coats of slathered on varnish for water & moisture proofing, I cut an acoustic ceiling tile to the proper size for both the front panel, and the top......sealed the edges with duct tape, and six wood screws in each to fasten, and they have been there for ten years.....

I seem to remember that when I did this the cabin was much quieter......but that was then.....and my hearing has diminished....so the combination is working!

Bob Robertson

Member III
Our engine compartment insulation was failing back in the early 90's. Our then current service department manager had previously worked building some powerboats. He recommended a 1 inch soft foam that was covered with about and 8th of an inch of white vinyl. He ordered it for me, so I don't know where it came from, but it's worked great since the early 90's. I'd definitely recommend it.

Engine Compartment insulation.JPG

GrandpaSteve

Sustaining Member
Sound reducing tiles

Our engine compartment insulation was failing back in the early 90's. Our then current service department manager had previously worked building some powerboats. He recommended a 1 inch soft foam that was covered with about and 8th of an inch of white vinyl. He ordered it for me, so I don't know where it came from, but it's worked great since the early 90's. I'd definitely recommend it.

View attachment 22290

I got tiles here for my 32-III engine box:

https://sailorssolutions.com/?page=ProductDetails&Item=SPM01

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Just noticed this nice writeup and detailed video of installing new sound insulation "tiles".
I do not know why I did not pay attention to this info when I was installing all new foil-surfaced foam in our engine area. It looks worth a try.
Of course I was able to buy my foam pieces locally, and the opportunity to examine it up close and not take a chance on 'net sourcing was a factor, as well.
I like our solution, but this alternative seems worthy, also.
And then, the thread seems worth a bump, given that this is a required maintenance project that comes up for all of our 30+ year old boats.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I eventually got around to insulation (see Post #4, 2017).

Vast improvement. Noticeable every time when motoring. Especially with the ladder blanket.