• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Water tank - what's the right tool?

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
I'd like to clean out a water tank or two, and the inspection cover on top of each tank is a plastic (and probably brittle) cap with four small lugs around the perimeter.

Somewhat like this:

water tank.jpg
It is... uh... resisting attempts to get it to move.

Although it's tempting to put a delrin rod against one of the lugs and tap it until it turns, there's got to be a better way.

What's the right tool to use here, in order to get the thing open without breaking off any lugs?

Bruce

u079721

Contributing Partner
I would suggest using a strap wrench on the cap, along with gentle heating with a heat gun on the threads.

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
strap wrench

No joy. The tank cap itself is accessed through an 8" inspection port. No way to get a strap wrench down onto the same plane as the lid, I need something I can apply from above.

bolbmw

Member III
Something like a 3 leg wrench may work if you can find one large enough and can get it tight enough.
712fM4wVI6L._SX355_.jpg

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
Is the cap too large for a basin wrench?

Probably. I haven't measured but I'm going to guess it's 3-1/2" in diameter (plus the lugs)

Current thinking is that I can craft a 2-leg version of the 3-leg tool, using a length of scrap metal and a couple of appropriately-spaced hex-heads.