• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

New line clutches....

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Hello All,
I have what I think are stock "Easylock" line clutches on my '83 E38. They are in pretty tough shape and one is busted. Does anyone know the bolt pattern dimensions on these and if the bolt pattern is universal or at least crosses over to any other clutch manufacturers? The new Lewmars got top choice in the current Practical Sailor so I was thinking to give them a try unless someone has another opinion? Thanks, RT

windjunkee

Member III
Rob,

We just installed a two rope clutch on the starboard side of the cabin top and re-bedded the one on the port side. The bolt pattern will be slightly different, depending on the brand and the size, but they were really easy to install.
It isn't difficult at all if you want to remove it and fill the holes. We drilled new holes for the additional clutch and had to cut and plug the headliner to access the nuts and washers on the underside. We replaced two ancient barlow winches with new Harkens. The bolt pattern there was definitely different, but we wanted to put the winches in the same place. Thus, we filled the holes with a two part epoxy. When it dried, we could drill through it (though tried not to) and it held well. It was way easier than we had originally thought.
Make sure you use a good bedding compound. One of the problems requiring us to rebed the clutch we had was that it leaked into the cabin when it rained. It doesn't any more, and we've had enough rain in the past week to really test it.

By the way, rope clutches are not all that expensive. There are at least 20 or 30 on ebay right now.

Hope this helps.

Jim McCone
Voice of Reason E-32-2 Hull #134

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
I'd be careful about buying used rope clutches though. In my experience, these devices have a useful lifetime. They're not like winches which can basically be well maintained and last a very long time or forever. Clutches seem to eventually get jammed up and either break or work less smoothly. Not that there probably aren't good used one's out there, but it's hard to tell those from the ones that'll operate only another 100 times before they fail.

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Go with standards...

Hey Rob,
I think Garhauer makes some good products for good prices, but spend the time and the money on either spinlocks or lewmars. I added 2 double clutches this year and replaced the old easylock- I think all told I spent about $210 on ebay for all new in box stuff (one XCS double- $150, two new XAS doubles $60 for both).
This will replace that easylock... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-Spinlock-XAS-Powerclutch-XAS0612-2-New_W0QQitemZ4627222911QQcategoryZ31281QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
just my opinions, take them at face value...

I'll take a couple of pictures tomorrow of what I've done on the coachtop.
I know Ben and Ted have been doing some upgrading of deck hardware as well...
Chris

windjunkee

Member III
Hey Rob,

We have several Garhauer products on our boat. Garhauer is currently manufacturing our new mainsheet traveller system and we should have it back this week. We also bought Garhauer blocks and our new s/s stanchions came from them.
As for our line clutches, I bought spinlock for the new one to match the spinlock we already had. I did not buy this one on ebay, though I have to admit, I do buy boat stuff on ebay like, for instance -- the boat itself (1970 E 32-2), and the two new winches we just installed (Harken).

Good luck. Its a beautiful boat you bought.

Jim McCone
Voice of Reason E32-2 Hull #134