• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Water tank sanitization, any advice?

mggilmore

Member II
Hello all,
I need some advice on how to sanitize my water tanks. I'm getting a foul sulfur like odor this year that I want to get rid of.
Thanks
Mike:confused:

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I use a 10% bleach solution, pump it though the system, let it sit for a few hours. Then flush it out twice and refill with fresh. I add a little product called Aquabon with each fill. Works really well, takes out foul taste and smell as well as keeps it fresh much longer. Tasteless to my palete. Granted I don't generally use the water on my boat for drinking. RT

cawinter

Member III
Inspection Plates

I have put Beckson plates (6", I believe) in all tanks. In the fall I spray vigorously with a hose, wipe down with Clorox/cleaner and then let them sit dry for the winter. For the lines I use vinegar and then antifreeze that is sucked straight out of the bottles (through a hose) into the drain fittings in the tanks. Easy to flush out in the spring. Tanks stay open all winter.

I used to use AQUATABS that were sold by a Canadian company through West Marine here in the US. Apparently the EPA/FDA? had concerns and pulled them. I spoke with a sales person in Canada, and they are working to reformulate for the US. BTW, I understand they are still for sale in Europe.

Now I just use the Hypochloride juice that everyone else seems to use in one form or another. Not as effective (I think), and I switch back to Aquatabs when they are back on the market.