• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E-38 Repower Question

juneausailin

Member II
Hey all, the 32 horse Universal that came in my E38 needs to be rebuilt or replaced. I found a Perkins Peramera M30 with only 50 hours on it. Am looking for opinions about the M30 having enough power and the availablility of parts for these two engines which I think are both discontinued.

Thanks,
David

Last edited:

Dan Morehouse

Member III
My 38 has the Universal 32 hp engine too. If I were repowering, I wouldn't put less than a 37 hp engine in, and I might consider a 40-44 hp. I have a 3 blade Kiwi prop, and with a clean bottom I'm lucky to get >6 knots @ cruising rpm (2200) in flat water. I think there are others on this board who have reported better performance, but this has been one of the few disappointments I have with this boat.

To be fair, it wasn't designed as a motorsailer. It was designed as an auxiliary sailboat, and it does sail very well. As such, the 32 horse engine is adequate at around 2 hp per thousand lbs. of displacement. But I would definately not consider installing less horsepower than it already has. Especially if you're considering longer cruises, which are usually attended by more weight, which is going the wrong direction for a powerplant with "adequate" power. Plus, a smaller engine will only make it more difficult to punch into a chop in headwinds, run a large alternator, or maintain the boats' resale value.

Dan Morehouse
1981 E-38 "Next Exit"

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Engine ponderings

From some limited searching on the 'net, the Perkins you reference is out of production and rated at 29 hp.
It seems like you would want at least the same amount of hp that you have now, or more... :confused:
And then, there's the idea of trading one out-of-production diesel for another...

Strictly in the "FWIW" dept, four members of our YC have upgraded to Beta's in the last couple years, and I am hearing that these engines put out more useable torque, for the same rated hp, than the older Yanmars, Volvos, and Universals that they replaced.
While it's true that hp ratings never "lie"... I also know that the conditions under which the stated hp is calculated can and do vary and evolve over the decades.

Rather than purchase old technology, I would buy a new Beta if our reliable old Universal ever barfs up a major part.... :rolleyes:

Probably as important as hp (or more so) is the actual fit of the proposed engine, whatever make, into your engine compartment.
Check this one out:
http://www.betamarinenc.com/bv1505.htm

Best of luck,
Loren

Last edited:

dwigle

Member III
The Beta might be a good choice. The PO of our boat replaced the 32 hp engine with a Universal M35b which fits nicely and has had enough power for us so far, but more can be better. The Beta 35 engines use the same Kubota block and the 38 block is just slightly taller. I don't know about overseas, but in the US Beta parts availability seems good. I also like the flat alternator belt on the Beta as opposed to a V belt. The one thing I don't like about the Kubota is the raw water hoses have to be disconnected to replace the belt.

You don't say which 38 you have, but the fit reference is based on the engine under the companionway on the early boats.

Don Wigle
Wiggle Room
E 38 #8
Pt. Richmond, CA

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I went through the exact same problem just last year. I ended up just putting in a good used engine, of the exact same model. Its a pretty simple process to replace a long block instead of a completely new repower. Its also much, much cheaper if you can get a "new" remanufactured engine and do the work yourself. Some will argue that many of the key components, starter, alternator, transmission, etc. will still be the old units, and they are correct. But it depends on how much you have to spend and how much time you have. In my case I had the time and the skills to do it. Most of the ancillary components were new anyway or were rebuilt as part of the project. A new Beta is $8+K. A reman and do the work yourself will be half that or less. Check out the threads below about my adventure.... RT

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=8825&highlight=5432+rebuild

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=8317&highlight=5432+rebuild

hodo

Member III
Repower

I think my budddy still has that Universal M40. Check the For Sale section about a month ago. feel free to E mail me.
Harold Mischief Maker.

juneausailin

Member II
Thanks all

Thanks for the input and feedback. I have rebuilt a yanmar on my own in the past which was actually pretty fun project. The Universal is a good rebuild candidate but I don't really have the means to do the rebuild myself here in S.D. as I'm coming in from out of town. Thinking rebuilding the Universal is going to be my best bet at this point as far as time and expenses go. Although those new Betamarines sure do look purdy..

EGregerson

Member III
repower

if u do repower to a larger motor, consider the size of the raw water intake thru hull/hose diameter; exhaust hose diameter/exhaust thru hull; motor mount placement (footprint).

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
if u do repower to a larger motor, consider the size of the raw water intake thru hull/hose diameter; exhaust hose diameter/exhaust thru hull; motor mount placement (footprint).

A consideration with any major engine work is make sure that the rest of the installation is up to par. A little research indicated that the factory, or what appeared to be factory, exhaust on my boat was woefully undersized. I upgraded the entire exhaust to modern recommended sizes. The engine is definitely happier now.

RT