• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 27 Compression Post Question

TheFletchers

So I recently bought an E27 that needs quite a bit of work. The worst of it is the Compression Post and aft most bulk head. The one between the head and salon that's attached to the Compression Post. The bottom of the Compression Post has become soft from sitting in water. There are a few leaks that I'll be fixing but I'm not to worried about that. What I'm worried about is getting the post out and back in as well as finding or building a replacement.

Does anyone have any experience with this? If so, I could any advise I can get. More specifically-
Do I have to remove the mast? Where is the best place to buy a piece of sollid wood for the post or can you buy a post already made?

Thanks,
-Sean

Last edited:

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Sean- I would recommend that you remove the mast, otherwise the cabin top will compress without the compression post in place and you will have trouble getting a new post to fit properly. If you are in the Portland area, you can go to Crosscut hardwoods or Woodcrafters. Probably Crosscut is better for things like teak and mahogany. I think on my E27 the compression post is made of mahogany. It too was submerged for awhile, but poking with an awl reveals its pretty sound. As for replacing, I am not sure what the best method is. The existing post is made of two boards glued together (I think). The headliner and the cockpit sole prevent easy removal and replacment of this assembly in one piece. You may be able to do it in four sections: scarf the first section in place against the bulkhead, then scarf another two pieces (with the scarf at the opposite end of where the other joint is) and epoxy and screw the second board to the first. Good luck and let us know what you decide. If you are in Portland and want any additional info on the guts of the E27, contact me back channel, I have done a big rebuild on mine (except don't ask me how it sails I haven't sailed it yet:egrin:). I am happy to stop by and have a look.

Thinking about it, a scarf joint may not be best. Maybe a butt joint would work if its bonded to the sister board well enough. Sure would be easier! Also, check www.plasticclassicforum.com and ask the question there. I bet someone else has done this repair.

Doug

Last edited:

Bill Sanborn

Member III
I seem to remember someone using a scissors jack or small hydraulic jack with
a 2x4 cut to the required length to raise the deck from the inside near the compression post. Removed the mast first.

Also on my E29 there is a wooden block between the keel and the bottom of
the compression post that you may be able to remove and gain some wiggle
room.